Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anatomy of a Nightmare
Anatomy of a Nightmare
http://imgur.com/a/YSJK2

Last night was a first, for me anyway. I had my first nightmare while on my PAP. Over my life, there have been times when you wake up only to find you are still asleep and then try to finish waking up only to find you can't. Panic sets in until you finally do wake up. Well, last night was one of those nights.

22:00 to 1:40
The first part of the night was uneventful. In fact it was very good. I was sleeping normally.

1:40 to 3:00
I thought I was sleeping very good, when for no reason, I thought I was awake only to find I was dreaming. In the dream, I was on my PAP and needed to remove it immediately. I have no idea why I needed to remove it, just that I did and quickly. When I tried to move my hand to remove the mask, I could not move my hand correctly and panic sets in. After several minutes (I am sure it was seconds) I was successful removing the mask and chin strap in one giant movement.
I never remembered why I needed the mask off, just that I did.

3:00 to 5:30
I settled down almost immediately but never went back to sleep. Not good sleep for sure.

I captured this image because I thought it would be interesting to see. The time in question shows a lot of things going on during that time which is interesting because I thought I was in a very deep sleep from 2:00 to 3:00.

If I take this session out of my results, the numbers look good and I still had a good night sleep.

OBTW. Did I mention I had a Nuclear Stress Test that afternoon. Could explain it.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anatomy of a Nightmare
I am a lucid dreamer and even know when I am having a nightmare - and can control them. However, I have experienced waking paralysis and that is frightening. Unable to breath or move for what seems like forever, until I finally flail out in some random direction and break out of the paralysis.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
If you see a toilet in your dreams, don't use it... it's a trick.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 02:29 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: If you see a toilet in your dreams, don't use it... it's a trick.

Dude

That's a very common dream of mine. And I "dream" I use it. Thankfully I don't really.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Might be more interesting to zoom in on the breathing waveform during dreaming, and compare it to non-dreaming. I would imagine if there is any weirdness to be seen, it will be close-in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After my triple bypass nearly four years ago I stopped dreaming. I suspect that once my heart was functioning well again that my OSA took over my life. It's only since going onto CPAP therapy that my dreams have come back.

Like Frank, I am a lucid dreamer and I suspect that it's not that good for my therapy but I've been a lucid dreamer since childhood.

I see the return of dreaming as a positive sign that my brain is now able to work on that daily healing of the body. Just a theory.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 02:06 PM)Rcgop Wrote: ...........

22:00 to 1:40
The first part of the night was uneventful. In fact it was very good. I was sleeping normally.

1:40 to 3:00
I thought I was sleeping very good, when for no reason, I thought I was awake only to find I was dreaming. In the dream, I was on my PAP and needed to remove it immediately. I have no idea why I needed to remove it, just that I did and quickly. When I tried to move my hand to remove the mask, I could not move my hand correctly and panic sets in. After several minutes (I am sure it was seconds) I was successful removing the mask and chin strap in one giant movement.
I never remembered why I needed the mask off, just that I did.

3:00 to 5:30
I settled down almost immediately but never went back to sleep. Not good sleep for sure. ..............
Nice image editing. Good display of info.

Looks like waking restfulness - beginning of third session - has a respiration rate below average, and RR for sleeping normally - first 100 mins - is a bit higher. I'd guess you were actually sleeping during last half of last session except for final 15 or so mins. For the nightmare session, RR doesn't maximize until the last 10 mins or so - I'd guess that's where the REM is - ie. the dream may have been shorter than you think. Notice the severe "CA cluster" has ended by then and the tidal volume has steadied. The lowered RR at the beginning of nightmare session indicates wakefulness (my guess). Why the break just before? If you zoom the FR for that cluster of CA's, per SleepRider, I'm guessing they'll show the very irregular patterns of SWJ.

No reason for concern unless pattern keeps repeating.

Whether or not dreams are a sign of healthy sleep (I happen to think they are), they can serve as a calibration point on the graphs. I frequently wake up just after the most lucid of mine, so I take a bathroom break, and the data pause marks the end time of the dream. Over time, you get an educated feel for probable REM periods. And since you're falling asleep at beginning of night and after a wakeful break, you've got markers for wakeful patterns. Subtract those periods out, and you've got sleep patterns. Smile
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 03:18 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Might be more interesting to zoom in on the breathing waveform during dreaming, and compare it to non-dreaming. I would imagine if there is any weirdness to be seen, it will be close-in.

http://imgur.com/a/YSJK2

I hope this is zoomed in enough. The first is the full session. I think the last part shows good sleep as the tidle volume is very steady. This is when I think I am in deep sleep. (REM)

The second is the last few minutes of the deep sleep and the waking up. I hope this shows what you are looking for.
Post Reply Post Reply
rkl122,
That time before the dream, I am sure was SWJ. As I had mentioned earlier, I just came off a Nuclear Stress Test and an allergy shot.

And I am finding my dreams are becoming more normal and am not concerned. I just thought it would be interesting to see what our recording devices would look like with one of those dreams that can get us in such a state of panic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 03:18 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Might be more interesting to zoom in on the breathing waveform during dreaming, and compare it to non-dreaming. I would imagine if there is any weirdness to be seen, it will be close-in.

http://imgur.com/a/mPeVn

I don't know what happened. Here is the second "zoomed" image.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 621 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  Airsense 9 and 10 Motor Anatomy. Yes, it is possible to change the bearings... Kingsway 1 909 07-15-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: MoreBeers
Gross First night Nightmare's Willowbender 3 605 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Willowbender
  My C PAP nightmare Gregz60 6 836 09-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Started therapy 5 days ago and it is a nightmare solycap 17 2,750 09-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Nightmare night............! Sleep2Snore 5 1,391 02-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  Changing PCP is a nightmare in the US TimtheEnchanter 8 1,920 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.