Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anatomy of an event - ResScan Data
Anatomy of an event - ResScan Data
I zoomed in on the data surrounding an OA event on my Bilevel AirCurve10; this is what I see.
Flow and pressure are provided as very high rate data; the rest is slow rate.
The event is reported as a 12 sec OA.
It starts with the pressure doing it's periodic thing swinging smoothly from 6.5 to 10.5 and flow is leading it by maybe 0.25 sec at most.
The flow reaches its peak normally, no anomaly noted, but the pressure does not follow it. Instead it swings up and reports a sharp peak at 11.4 cmH2O and slides down sharply. The pressure then makes another anomalous rise and falls to 6.4 cm where it stays for 16 sec. It ocillates 0.1cm around 6.4 for the last 10 sec then starts up the correct swing again going from 7.3 to 11.3 The pressure stopped responding before the flow stopped.
Meanwhile the flow swings normally until the pressure locks at 6.4 and then it goes to around zero where it stays for 16 sec. A blip on the flow data after 16 sec seems to instigate the pressure swing again.
3 sec later the OA event is reported.
There are no flow limits or snores reported. The ventilation, tidal volume,RR all show decrease at the slower data rate. Leaks are around zero.

So... Why does it look like the machine pressure instigated this event?

I see the oscillation on the pressure data half way through an event on most instances of flow stoppage including those less than 10 sec which don't get reported.
How does this compare to your events?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anatomy of an event - ResScan Data
Nice essay. A picture is worth 1000 words. Can you post a graph?

Flow direction triggers pressure from IPAP to/from EPAP.
Zero flow triggers the FOT algorithm to create a pressure oscillation after 4 seconds.
The reflected wave is used to type the apnea as OA or CA.
No apnea will be flagged less than 10 seconds.
Trigger from IPAP to/from EPAP is restored when the flow meter detects flow again; even a blip.

There are sensitivity settings for the pressure switch -- leave them at default.
(i.e. - never mess with them.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 12:31 PM)justMongo Wrote: Nice essay. A picture is worth 1000 words. Can you post a graph?

Flow direction triggers pressure from IPAP to/from EPAP.
Zero flow triggers the FOT algorithm to create a pressure oscillation after 4 seconds.
The reflected wave is used to type the apnea as OA or CA.
No apnea will be flagged less than 10 seconds.
Trigger from IPAP to/from EPAP is restored when the flow meter detects flow again; even a blip.

There are sensitivity settings for the pressure switch -- leave them at default.
(i.e. - never mess with them.)

Great info on the ocillations. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
    The data
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like what I see for an OA.
There is a hint of impending OA at the very beginning of the plot. Flow went to zero for for about a second.
Then the flow and pressure are ragged just before the obstruction.
In the roughly 3 hour span in the top window, looks like you are doing quite well.
I'd say the machine is doing the job nicely for you.

Kindest regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP sticks on higher pressure after Obstructive Apnea event AlanR 3 461 11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  What is a 'Clear Airway' Event? dreamstream 13 16,360 08-29-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: nallac
  Cheyene Stokes event - first ever in 120 nights Willgetthere 2 511 08-27-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Willgetthere
  [Diagnosis] Is this indicative of most events happening during REM? | What is a respiratory event Dire 4 554 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dire
  CA with arousal before event VS no arousal sleep2023 1 518 08-01-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.