Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

And another one bites the dust, leak solution that is...
And another one bites the dust, leak solution that is...
Well, last night I tested my latest awesome solution to leaks, namely taping my mouth shut with painters masking tape. I will let you judge how successful it was.

There appears to be a number of times where the machine reset itself? The discontinuous lines for pressure etc? Does it just give up in frustration and try again later? I would understand if that is what it is doing - I could completely relate to that at this point Smile There are separate sessions listed for each. I don't recall turning the machine off/on. I provide a zoom in on one of them below.

I woke at 11:45 PM (after just 2 hours of sleep) feeling pretty good, and thinking I had had a full nights sleep with little or no leaks this time, imagine my disappointment when I looked at the machine and saw an AHI of 18... sigh. At least the time keep the leaks quiet enough so they didn't wake me up!

Leakage

[Image: Tape.png]

Interruption Example

[Image: Interruption.png]

Apneas Example

[Image: Apnea.png]
So, back to the good old F10 until I can figure out another way to get the P10 to work for me. I have a cervical collars on order and it will be here Wednesday. Maybe that is my silver bullet!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: And another one bites the dust, leak solution that is...
Have you had your nose checked out for restricted nasal passages? They could be restricting the flow and raising the pressure.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 06:28 AM)richb Wrote: Have you had your nose checked out for restricted nasal passages? They could be restricting the flow and raising the pressure.

Rich

No, I haven't. I will look into that, but I did had a pulmonary function test recently which tested my breathing through my nose only and I was on the "very good" side of the results.

I think it is just habit. Having had sleep apnea almost my entire life and not knowing it, I think I have learned ways to "get by", sleeping on my side, sleeping with my mouth open, etc... now, I need to learn how to unlearn those bad habits.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Gotta fix those leaks Frank. You have smartstart turned on. Your machine is thinking you removed the mask when you have high leak, and it shuts down -- leak seals -- it restarts. I suggest you turn off smartstart. Just use the start button.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Continuing along the nose angle, a simple thing to try that worked for me, and that shouldn't do any harm is to use a single squirt of a decongestant up one nostril only at night.
If that helps, that may be your answer. Then alternate nostrils each night. One dose every two nights to either nostril is not likely to give rebound congestion, while you get to see someone regarding longer term options (e.g. nasal douches, steroid rinses or sprays)
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 10:36 AM)justMongo Wrote: Gotta fix those leaks Frank. You have smartstart turned on. Your machine is thinking you removed the mask when you have high leak, and it shuts down -- leak seals -- it restarts. I suggest you turn off smartstart. Just use the start button.

WOW! Thanks, good catch, Yup, I bet you are right, smart smart is turing it off because of the leaks - I would not have thought of that!

Thanks,

Yeah, I am going to try surgical tape. It is REALLY weird with that masking tape on, I can feel myself "puffing" occasionally, like I am trying to exhale through my mouth and the tape stops it, then eventually the tape, having been "puffed" a number of times, lifts up from my cheek and a mouth leak starts... sigh.
(05-09-2016, 10:44 AM)Carbon Wrote: Continuing along the nose angle, a simple thing to try that worked for me, and that shouldn't do any harm is to use a single squirt of a decongestant up one nostril only at night.
If that helps, that may be your answer. Then alternate nostrils each night. One dose every two nights to either nostril is not likely to give rebound congestion, while you get to see someone regarding longer term options (e.g. nasal douches, steroid rinses or sprays)

Sounds like a good idea to try, thanks. I will pick some up today.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 233 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 147 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 246 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.