Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anderson5420's OSCAR Data
RE: Anderson5420's OSCAR Data
(09-06-2021, 02:03 PM)sheepless Wrote: turk, asv doesn't identify obstructive or central apnea. all apnea are 'unclassified'. I should be able to say why but don't remember exactly; something to do with how it treats ca i think.
I think with ASV I am not having any apneas, only hypopneas. Agreed?
Pat Anderson
Happily retired in Birch Bay, WA
Blog: http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 3 ASV.  95% leak rate 33.6 l/min, max down to 50.4. No apneas. Time above  leak redline 9.726%.

I don't know, but the pattern of elevated leak rates could be related to my flipping and flopping from back to one side, then to back, and then to other side. I do this as one position or the other gets uncomfortable. The mask moves with each flip and flop. Could this be a possible explanation?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
"I think with ASV I am not having any apneas, only hypopneas. Agreed?"

yes. apnea would show up flagged as UA or unclassified apnea.

"the pattern of elevated leak rates could be related to my flipping and flopping from back to one side, then to back, and then to other side. I do this as one position or the other gets uncomfortable. The mask moves with each flip and flop. Could this be a possible explanation?"

yes. if you subscribe to the theory that mask leaks are short duration (pointy waveform) and mouth leaks are longer duration (flatter peaks), you'd conclude most of your leaks are mask leaks. your description supports this conclusion.

I use the p10 nasal pillow mask and rotate from side to side all night long. I'm prone to lip leaks but not many mask leaks. maybe your pillow size isn't right or the strap is too loose. I have to wear mine tighter than you we recommended on this site. I also use a buckwheat pillow to easily hang my face & mask off the edge and to minimize the pillow's effect on the strap, my cheeks and the mask itself.

like I said, your med leak rate is fine but it would be best to get it all under the red line. some experimentation with masks and bed pillows might be in order.

otherwise, you're looking good! hope you're feeling the difference.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Pat, we really need feedback on how you feel. Your AHI is excellent, but if you can define any issues that disrupt your sleep it would be helpful. Your results are what we want to see "by the numbers", but we need your subjective input whether you are where you need to be.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2021, 08:02 PM)sheeples Wrote: I use the p10 nasal pillow mask and rotate from side to side all night long. I'm prone to lip leaks but not many mask leaks. maybe your pillow size isn't right or the strap is too loose. I have to wear mine tighter than you we recommended on this site. I also use a buckwheat pillow to easily hang my face & mask off the edge and to minimize the pillow's effect on the strap, my cheeks and the mask itself.

like I said, your med leak rate is fine but it would be best to get it all under the red line. some experimentation with masks and bed pillows might be in order.

otherwise, you're looking good! hope you're feeling the difference.

OK, thanks.

As far as pillow size, I have tried the Small and the Large, neither works for me, it is the Medium I need to use, I am fairly confident.

I just received the new style P10 with the ability to tighten the straps. I will try incrementally tightening it. I do think the old mask gets knocked off kilter a bit when I go to either side, but I try to always correct it right away. I also adjust my bed pillow so my ear is just on its edge so it does not contact the mask.

I will be having a follow-up with my sleep PA in mid-October, and masks and leaks will definitely be discussed.

I think it may be too soon to assess how I feel with ASV compared to CPAP, but I will keep that in mind.
Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2021, 09:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Pat, we really need feedback on how you feel. Your AHI is excellent, but if you can define any issues that disrupt your sleep it would be helpful. Your results are what we want to see "by the numbers", but we need your subjective input whether you are where you need to be.

OK, i fall asleep easily, and sleep for 7-8 hours. Nothing I know disrupts my sleep except a bathroom break about 3 a.m.  I still fall asleep too much during the day. Riding in the car when my wife is driving, and elevator music in the doctor's waiting room does it every time. But I used to fall asleep in the middle of a conversation when we had company. My wife said I was "rude." I hope she knows otherwise now.

On the upside, I am just now seeing the numbers be where they should be, as you noted, with the ASV. So I have every reason to hope that therapy will help with the daytime issues.
Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night i tightened the strap on the new-style P10. I taped my mouth shut. I was not aware of ANY sounds of leakage as I sometimes used to be. I was hoping to see the 95% leakage below or closer to the leak redline.

The AHI is great but the leakage numbers are still about where they have been since the switch to ASV.  The leak numbers are not terrible. I don't think ~85% or better of time below the leak redline is too adversely affecting therapy, but this will be the number 1 topic with my sleep PA in mid-October.

I also don't understand why OSCAR only captured the time before the bathroom break - I had 8 hours, not 5!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
Having used the same model ASV, I am aware therapy falls off the cliff with leak rates similar to this. Leak rates at or below 40.8 95% of the time is really a major issue, even more when you include the large leak number of 14.31% and that the Max indicates 51.6. No PAP can be expected to keep up with that, and even more important while on the ASV.

I realize the leaks weren't there the entire session, but they're present for the majority. My opinion is that if leaks were successfully addressed, daytime issues may improve. Leaks of this sort affect the accuracy of the data, of how close the ASV can track your therapy needs.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, it appears you are alone in that opinion. The most important number is that I am below the leak redline of 24 l/min for 85% of the time. And the 95% is "at or below" that 40 l/min or more accurately exceeding that number only 5% of the time. The time below the 95% number is not broken down at all except time below redline tells me most of the leaks in the 95% number are also below 24 l/min.
Pat Anderson
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, that's fine, think whatever you want. Have at it. I don't have time to offer opinions where they're not wanted. But you need to face the fact your leaks are an issue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] interpreting OSCAR data NicoFR 31 2,054 31 minutes ago
Last Post: NicoFR
  [CPAP] Need help analyzing OSCAR data user357 2 128 Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Last Post: user357
  Any insight on this data from OSCAR? jake79 2 140 04-23-2024, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 156 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,397 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 312 04-18-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 228 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.