Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anesthesia Concerns...Should I use CPAP in Recovery?
RE: Anesthesia Concerns...Should I use CPAP in Recovery?
I had problems once with anesthesia so many years later when I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, I was worried. I even went so far as to express a huge concern about using propofol (I know I spelled it wrong but you know what I mean). I was told that it is better to use anesthesia than the versed and whatever else they use with it because if a patient has some issues, it is easier to bring them out of the anesthesia than with the versed (I have no clue if this is accurate but it is what I was told). It made sense to me at the time. I had the anesthesia and during the endoscopy, had a little trouble with breathing so they gave me some oxygen. Then proceeded to the colonoscopy and I had no issues at all with the anesthesia.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anesthesia Concerns...Should I use CPAP in Recovery?
I don't know about the fasting instructions - for me they seem confusing. I was told not to eat or drink after 11 p.m. for surgery at 7:30 a.m. OK - I understand that part. Then I was told to drink 8 oz. of apple juice before 4 a.m. to make sure my blood sugar is in range for them. I ask "what is range supposed to be"? They tell me "anywhere between 80 and 250." OK....even that I understand - I guess. But if I drink 8 oz. apple juice and my blood sugar is already high - I can guarantee it will go at least 50 points higher yet ! I'm glad I called my surgeon's office and spoke with her nurse, because the nurse told me that if my sugar is 150 or less to drink the juice and if it is 150 or more - to skip it.

The surgical person doing the phone interview to register me was wrong on several counts and if I had not questioned the reasons for doing several things she told me, according to my surgeon, then I would have been S.O.L.

OpalRose - Appreciate the prayers on my behalf, I am definitely scared !!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 440 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 342 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia Jen0628jen 4 460 09-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: car54
  Day 3 - Intro & Initial Concerns DivaBreather 3 358 09-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  [Treatment] A few concerns about Clear Airway/Leak Rates/Flow Limits jlsmithseven 1 532 01-23-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: jlsmithseven
  [split] Wellue/Viatom Oximeter Issues & Concerns narual 4 794 11-20-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  New to CPAP, Some Questions/Concerns CPAPrincess 20 1,933 04-28-2022, 08:56 PM
Last Post: CPAPrincess

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.