Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anesthesia management for CSA?
Anesthesia management for CSA?
Hello..
Ive been trying to find info on precautions/safety measurements/management for CSA sufferer who has to get general anesthesia?
But i cant find it. 

Most of i read here about OSA

Please could anyone help? Sad

Anyone who has experience, knowledge in it.
Do i have to get drug or something to help? Also im afraid of the anesthesia drugs effect.
Im in a place where the doctor isnt really experience of i,  so i have to find info Sad
I also have OSA but i think if they use breathing tube it will be ok??

Thank you for whoever help....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anesthesia management for CSA?
I recently had open mesh hernia surgery, and I was able to get local sedation. I was nervous about general. But I asked a lot of questions about how they dealt with sleep apnea patients and nobody seemed concerned. This answer always came back. An operating room is very safe. They monitor your breathing and have multiple ways to make sure you keep breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm prone to high central apnea with or without the CPAP type machine, other than an ASV that is. I make certain the anesthesia tech knows I mean central events. Going under had never had bad side effects. I did have one episode in 2016 during surgery that they had to tube me. You could ask that phrase I suppose. Maybe something like "I have central apnea. Are you prepared to tube me if needed?"

I've had just that one event in the past. I use it to prep the team. Hope that helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides talking to your doctor, you should have a consultation with the Anesthesiologist, as they are the ones who will monitor you.  

This is more of a concern if you are having general anesthesia, but if its something minor, you may not be put out for that long.  Its always a good idea to bring your machine with you.  It may be needed in recovery.  This is where a family member or friend may be needed to help with that.

For more information, scroll down to bottom of page and search under "possibly related threads".
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that reminds me, there's sometimes consultation visits with an anesthesia team member prior to a surgery. I just had that situation when I had my spinal cord stimulant implant open trial. I had a 30 minute anesthesia visit about a week before the surgery took place. I was advised to bring the ASV with me to surgery.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a knee replacement a few years ago. I used my VAuto throughout. That means I was on my face while under and during surgery. The biggest trouble they had was finding my CPAP hose tucked away in its compartment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2020, 07:40 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm prone to high central apnea with or without the CPAP type machine, other than an ASV that is. I make certain the anesthesia tech knows I mean central events. Going under had never had bad side effects. I did have one episode in 2016 during surgery that they had to tube me. You could ask that phrase I suppose. Maybe something like "I have central apnea. Are you prepared to tube me if needed?"

I've had just that one event in the past. I use it to prep the team. Hope that helps.
So using tube will resolve CSA? I thought its only for OSA?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2020, 08:01 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Besides talking to your doctor, you should have a consultation with the Anesthesiologist, as they are the ones who will monitor you.  

This is more of a concern if you are having general anesthesia, but if its something minor, you may not be put out for that long.  Its always a good idea to bring your machine with you.  It may be needed in recovery.  This is where a family member or friend may be needed to help with that.

For more information, scroll down to bottom of page and search under "possibly related threads".

I forgot to mention its a gynecologal surgery could be around 1 hour but could be more hopefully less than 1 hour Sad

Use the machine during surgery too?
Mostly what i found thread about OSA and anesthesia.

Anyway i dont know how to tag here and how to multiply quote cause when i click reply with quote there no bbcode
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you would have general anesthesia, so definitely talk to the doctor, nurses and foremost...the anesthesia crew.  

They will monitor your oxygen levels at all time.  If this is a hospital setting, they are equipped to handling any emergencies.  

They don't normally allow a cpap machine in the surgery room, but they need to know that you have it with you for use afterwards.  

I had a similar procedure a couple years back, my daughter kept my machine with her, and the recovery nurse was aware that it was available. My procedure lasted over an hour, and I didn't need the machine at all.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2020, 10:06 AM)OpalRose Wrote: It sounds like you would have general anesthesia, so definitely talk to the doctor, nurses and foremost...the anesthesia crew.  

They will monitor your oxygen levels at all time.  If this is a hospital setting, they are equipped to handling any emergencies.  

They don't normally allow a cpap machine in the surgery room, but they need to know that you have it with you for use afterwards.  

I had a similar procedure a couple years back, my daughter kept my machine with her, and the recovery nurse was aware that it was available.  My procedure lasted over an hour, and I didn't need the machine at all.
They intubated you? I still cant understand if intubation could work for CSA cause no breathing signal to take oxygen in
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tonsillectomy And general anesthesia Jen0628jen 4 465 09-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: car54
  What happens to CSA people under general anesthesia ? Do we just stop breathing? S. Manz 18 2,415 10-19-2021, 04:57 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  Chronic Care Management for sleep disorders nydraa 2 764 10-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation Warning - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset SD data management becker44a 7 1,783 09-13-2020, 03:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Help with hose management drmaestro 10 1,715 06-07-2020, 01:46 PM
Last Post: MitchS
  Hose management favourites YYCBrian 8 1,188 04-10-2020, 07:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sleep Apnea & Anesthesia Advice andycc 12 1,973 02-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Last Post: JWood

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.