Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Annoying mask leak from the bottom.
Annoying mask leak from the bottom.
Hi All,

I get this annoying leak after about 4/5 hours of sleep. The air leaks from the bottom. Not major but I can feel the air if I put my finger there and its hard to go back to sleep after. I try to adjust it numerous times but just gives up and take it off and go back to sleep.

It leaks just a tiny bit when I put it on at the start. I just cant completely stop air coming out from the bottom. I have adjusted the straps and etc. The mask is only 3 weeks old.

I also had problems with another mask that I was using during the trail too leaking from the bottom.

Leak average is about 20/l

Really annoying.

Anyone else have this issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Annoying mask leak from the bottom.
boar, I use a Resmed but two things to try are mask liners and having the hose coming from above your head, if you have tried that and tightened the bottom straps, maybe it's time to try a new mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have the hose above my head sometimes when i am lying sideways but not sure if it made any difference. Will check it out tonight. Feel like I have to push the bottom of the mask down sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
The super soft seal on the Simplus gave me the same issue when I tried it. Nice, comfy mask...but the little, persistent leak was a turn off for me too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2013, 10:02 PM)boar Wrote: I do have the hose above my head sometimes when i am lying sideways but not sure if it made any difference. Will check it out tonight. Feel like I have to push the bottom of the mask down sometimes.
The pillow you are using can make a difference. Last night I pulled a small square couch pillow that is quite firm and used it. I had been leaking and farting all night. When I readjusted the Quattro air for the 100th time and lay on this little hard pillow all was good for the rest of the night.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know what you mean. Those leaks annoy me because of the noise they make, too.

It's very common for folks to have to try a variety of masks before finding something that works for them. This is why we see so many different types of masks available, and medical provider policies that allow us to switch masks at little or no cost.

Do not give up. Resist the urge to sleep without the mask. That kind of sleep not only doesn't do what sleep is supposed to do for us, but it actually makes things worse. In addition to increasing the risk of a heart attack or stroke, it interferes with and prolongs the adaptation to CPAP therapy.

Call your medical equipment provider and tell them what you just told us. That the leak wakes you up and you have to take the mask off to get back to sleep. Tell your doctor, too, if you have to. Find a different medical provider if you have to. Do not give up. You are fighting for your life. Without CPAP therapy we will live a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 09:41 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I know what you mean. Those leaks annoy me because of the noise they make, too.

It's very common for folks to have to try a variety of masks before finding something that works for them. This is why we see so many different types of masks available, and medical provider policies that allow us to switch masks at little or no cost.

Do not give up. Resist the urge to sleep without the mask. That kind of sleep not only doesn't do what sleep is supposed to do for us, but it actually makes things worse. In addition to increasing the risk of a heart attack or stroke, it interferes with and prolongs the adaptation to CPAP therapy.

Call your medical equipment provider and tell them what you just told us. That the leak wakes you up and you have to take the mask off to get back to sleep. Tell your doctor, too, if you have to. Find a different medical provider if you have to. Do not give up. You are fighting for your life. Without CPAP therapy we will live a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke.

A few leaks are a small price to pay for a good nights sleep with plenty of oxygen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem when i used a full face mask. I tried multiple masks but after sleeping a while they would all start to leak at the bottom. One night i woke up and the bottom of the mask was in my mouth. I then figured out that my mouth opens up and causes the problem. They switched me to a larger mask but still the same problem. I tried chin straps but they made me more claustrophobic and a real pain to take off/on, like if you need to get a drink or scratch your nose.

I have mentioned in other posts that i now place a soft foam rubber ball between my chin and chest. It's a dog toy soft and covered in fabric. I use a tiny elastic band sewed to the ball and around my neck to keep it from getting lost. I have also use a couple of wash cloths rolled up like an enchilada. The enchilada doesn't seem to need an elastic band. This method has worked to so well that i am now using nasal pillows.

Last night was my best night ever. 7.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, AHI was .1 Experiment some with propping your chin closed with something that is soft and comfortable. Beats the heck out of straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. I am averaging 5 hours sleep with the mask on. The best I had was 9 hours sleep and the worse I had was like 2 hours. If there was no leak from the bottom then it would be perfect. It is probably the soft part of the bottom on simplus that is causing the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 239 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.