Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another CPAP Cleaner Hits the Market
RE: Another CPAP Cleaner Hits the Market
I'm in the HVAC industry and UV lights are a tried and true method of air purification.  One adapted to the CPAP would definitely get my attention!
Post Reply Post Reply
I read the scientific studies at the 3B website. This product appears to be more effective than SoClean. The lab data are certainly more convincing. They demonstrated a 5 log reduction of resistant bacterial spores in well controlled studies. That is more overkill than would be required to sanitize CPAP equipment. To minimize the shadowing issue the interior of the chamber is highly polished aluminum which reflects UV light.  The machine is designed to accommodate a single mask or water chamber. It does not appear suitable for hoses. There are, however, some caveats.

In spite of the polished aluminum chamber I still see a problem with shadowing. The mask with headgear attached, for example, is placed in the chamber face up and rests on the bottom of the chamber. The UV light is at the top of the chamber and shines down. It seems the portions of the mask setting on the bottom of the chamber would block UV light and prevent it from being reflected back up against those surfaces. Also, they show the mask placed in the chamber with the headgear attached. It seems unlikely that the headgear would not result in some shadowing. Additionally, the interior of opaque tubular components such as hose connectors would probably not be fully exposed to the UV light.   Parts of the frames of some masks such as the AmaraView are not clear plastic and would also probably interfere with light transmission.

Santization of the water chamber is probably more effective as long as the opaque metal bottom is not placed against the aluminum interior of the chamber.

Although a 5 log kill of resistant spores was demonstrated the study report does not indicate that any worst case conditions were employed, which is generally a requirement for validation of sterilization and sanitization. The challenge spores were on stainless steel strips placed in the chamber with the masks and water chambers. The report does not say where they were placed. Placement on top of the items directly under the UV light would be much less of a challenge than under the mask or inside of the opaque hose connector, which would be worst case. Failure to place the challenge spores at worst case locations constitutes a serious flaw to the study. (If worst case site were used, I suspect it would have been mentioned in the report.)

Effectiveness of the system depends on the mirror finish of the aluminum chamber which they concede is easily scratched and requires special care. I would have concerns with how well it will hold up to routine use.

As with SoCean, the items to be sanitized must be cleaned before sanitization. I do credit 3B medical for being up front about this in their instructions and not implying their system cleans.

The bottom line is, for those that feel the need for a high level of sanitization, the 3B system appears to be more effective and safer than SoClean but may not sanitize some mask surfaces. It does not appear suitable for hoses which will require an additional method for sanitization. The cost of the machine is similar, about $300 but is probably less expensive to use since no disposables are required.

In my opinion as a microbiologist and CPAP user, this is another solution for which there is no need. Regular cleaning with mild detergent supplemented occasionally with a mild and inexpensive sanitizing agent is adequate to keep our equipment free of significant numbers of microorganisms. I clean my equipment less frequently then most on the forum and see no indication of significant microbial colonization.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaG1955 what essential oils do you use in your Cpap?  How much?  Any damage to your machine?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Grin Too-funny referring to the giant dawn bottle..
I was intrigued by these cleaners in the beginning...but honestly, the time and effort it takes to occasionally soak the humidifier and tubes with vinegar and soapy water ( unscented soap) plus a rinse of my nasal pillow, is so minimal.....why bother with a machine that also requires work?  I don’t even use distilled water as our water is so soft and DME said not needed....no cloudiness in the plastic tub, no respiratory infections.......it’s really a non-necessary waste of money. I have a healthy respect for germs, as a nurse, but I can’t see that CPAP is a microbe producing device. IMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean my humidifier tank (and mask) daily. I used to use Dawn, but I really don't like the smell of it. I switched to Johnson's baby shampoo and have never looked back. Works for me. I see no need to spend $$ on a machine that could cause me to have to buy a new CPAP sooner when it takes just a few minutes daily to wash them myself.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello --

A few comments to share on the Lumin cleaning machine -  Please know, I am somewhat new to sleep apnea having been dx only in May 2018.  Yet .... have been using the new Lumin regularly for the past couple months, about twice a week, which I believe is the recommended rate defined by the manufacturer.   This is the one and only CPAP equipment cleaning machine I've ever had -- so I cannot compare it with any other.  However, very happy with it overall.  I was greatly influenced by their NO OZONE advertising, as I have some sensitivity to lung irritants and needed to stay far away from any such possible problem.   My equipment comes out clean and fresh, no odors, and I do NOT think the UV exposure has degraded the plastic OR the gel components of my mask.  Have not put the "cloth" part of the headgear in there, however. Note that the UV used in the Lumin is described as UV-C (not UVA or UVB) so is a different wavelength, characterized as being uniquely very powerful.  Also, due to this key fact it seems especially important to follow all manuf directions.  Concerning the comment about light direction, this unit features a nicely sized, boxy drawer for your equipment that has an intensely mirror-polished interior plus a transparent clear plastic rack to hold your equipment off the drawer floor itself.  The light then just bounces around in there, hitting your items from all directions.  The UV-C light source will only turn on when the drawer is fully SHUT - so that is another valuable feature.  It is the case that this unit does not hold your long tubing, but only the mask and (for my nasal pillow set-up) the plastic facial part of the headgear.   Might sound odd to mention, but I've also used it to sterilize a whole host of other personal care items, like earplugs, combs/hairbrushes, nail clippers, toothbrushes, etc. - which it does wonderfully.  And too, as others on this thread have mentioned, one DOES still need to do incorporate SOME TYPE of water-washing routine with this sleep apnea gear as well.  I am convinced that washing our gear on some regular basis with water and at least some soap is vital.  BTW, thanks for the tip on liquid Dawn.  Plan to add this into my own routine.   Rest well, y'all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh also I forgot to say the Lumin certainly DOES have sufficient interior space for holding our CPAP water chambers nicely.  The unit is quiet to operate, silent really except for a short beep to alert you when the cleaning cycle finishes.  As others do, when not running a cycle I keep the drawer part slightly open -- otherwise the control panel lights up awaiting your press of the start button.  That design feature seems to me like it possibly could shorten the life of the control panel or the machine overall -- which I do not want to do.  Simple answer to this is to slightly open the drawer so the machine is completely shut off; and then all the lights are OFF until your next use.  Very happy with this product overall.  Feel my sleep apnea  equipment is quite clean, substantially germ-free, as a result of periodic but regular use.   Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience with the lumin...

footprint is a little bigger than the so-clean. 12.25"L x 8.5" W x 7.75" H
using UV-C light seems like a good alternative to the ozone. no filters to replace Smile.

however, every mask we've run through it smells like a campfire. there seems to be a lingering smokey odor with the masks. at least that was the consensus of the odor...

rep says smell is from a "new bulb" but even after several uses there was still that lingering smell.
I always hear comments about how "fresh" the equipment smells after using the so-clean...

but again, the previous poster says no odd smell...?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello - to respond on the specific issue of some folks noting  an undesireable or perhaps "smokey" odor related to the Lumin unit: I have had NO detectable odors at all on masks or water chambers OR any other personal care items I have put in there to disinfect (see my post #1 on the variety of items I've tried disinfecting so far).  And I am generally a really picky, fussy person on the subject of strange odors.  Let me mention too, I've found toothbrushes come out really, really fresh tasting.  So maybe that is helpful information.  I am of course still using the original bulb which came from the manufacturer.  I think the unit is very well made and I trust it is doing what the manufacturer promises.  Hope this bit of feedback helps someone out there.   Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2019, 08:36 PM)WannabeRestwright Wrote: It might sound odd to mention, but I've also used it to sterilize a whole host of other personal care items, like earplugs, combs/hairbrushes, nail clippers, toothbrushes, etc. - which it does wonderfully. 

As I stated previously, I believe Lumin has greater potential as an effective sanitizer than SoClean. I'm curious about your claim that it performs wonderfully at sterilizing a variety of items. How do you know? I'm not being argumentative, I'm wondering if you performed some type of analysis for viable microorganisms.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 266 03-28-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,614 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Purdoux [CPAP mask & hose cleaner] Mrzocor 2 617 06-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  New CPAP cleaner djfro 3 750 03-22-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: djfro
  New to CPAP - and I bought a NIB machine in the secondary market SaveItTilLater 23 1,857 03-17-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: SaveItTilLater
Question After market replacement for ResMed P10 headgear/strap? Bubba in NC 1 548 09-22-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Which is better and is there a resale market? MoveUp 32 2,450 02-21-2022, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.