Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another CPAp newbie
Another CPAp newbie
I am 57 years old. I have been fighing chronic fatigue for years now and made the doctors do tons of tests ,diabetes, etc and finally my current doctor suggested sleep study and bingo found out had moderate sleep apnea. I am not covered by medical insurance for the CPAP so got a used unit an Icon auto .

The unit came with a Swift mask but no extra nostril things . I just went and got a resmed N10 and its not to bad might pick up an F10 for when have stuff nose have some allergies and find the N10 can get a bit uncomfortable sometimes as currently have a pretty thick mustache.

I didn't actually have my machine set professionally guess should but anyway its auto of course and min is set at 7 and max at 11 presently. I just figured out how to reset my sleep data recording few minutes ago and will look at my AHI and all that and see how the current settings are working for me. Its set as said to auto mode.
Have figured out most everything on the machine and been reading a lot online and watching youtube videos and now found this form.

Oh am pretty overweight even though been doing quite a bit of exercise but guess still eat way too much. Weigh 242 presently. Am 5ft 6 heavy frame.
I have noticed a good increase in energy since started using the CPAP been about week now using it. Unfortunately I threw out my back about second day started using it so can't really test out my new energy too much. Also my mind seems to be working better as well.
I would say not so sleepy in daytime but been taking muscle relaxants for my back so they make me sleepy but should be done with them soon and again think will see a big difference. One of the scariest symptoms was when driving on long highway trips would nod off even when had 8 or more hours sleep the night before. I would chug down 5 hour energy shots and they helped a lot but this was a dangerous condition of course.

Also think had/have some other symptoms from the apnea that hopefully will get better now that doing the CPAP.
I am hoping to drop a bunch of weight and maybe can get off the CPAP in the future. Reading conflicting stuff about gaining/losing weight after the CPAP therapy.

Sure have some questions but will be reading thru the board and looking at hold posts, searching ,etc which is answering most of my questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another CPAp newbie
Welcome, and congrats on finding an answer to some of your issues Smile

Glad you are reading the forum... tons of good info here!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum AllanBrown. Sounds like you are on the right track, but I'm new to it myself. You will get tons of great advice and support from the wonderful knowledgeable people here on this forum. You came to the right place!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Allen, I'm a newb also. Same age, he**, we are even the same height! Same weight problems. Now I have my weight under control, but it was an uphill battle for many years.

The weight loss for me was on my own, the CPAP therapy was never the issue with my weight. I'm just a food junkie, all my life. (Italian). It always was a portion control thing for me. Good luck in your fight, (and it is a fight). Any tips I might be able to give you on the losing issue, just let me know. I was at 267Angry at 1 point. Took me 4 years from 50 to 54, bouncing around, then I got serious the last 2 years and finally made it over the hump. I'm holding steady at around 195-200 now. Much better. Sorry I got off topic but I know what an addiction food is as well as anyone.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.