Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Frustrated newbie
Another Frustrated newbie
:grin:

Hi, im completely new and to be honest scared to death. the lady came today showed me what to do with this lovely quiet machine compleye with humidifier. now shes gone and i dont have a clue. this mask seems ok but i am claustrophbic and while satvwithbher in the middle the day "demonstrating" was fine i have huge trepidation about actually going to bed let alone sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated newbie..
(05-19-2014, 10:30 PM)UK2VEGAS Wrote: :grin:

Hi, im completely new and to be honest scared to death. the lady came today showed me what to do with this lovely quiet machine compleye with humidifier. now shes gone and i dont have a clue. this mask seems ok but i am claustrophbic and while satvwithbher in the middle the day "demonstrating" was fine i have huge trepidation about actually going to bed let alone sleep.

Ok, here's what we do.......... Don't stress.

Plug your cute little machine into it's cute little mask and put it on your even cuter little face while you are sitting in your chair watching tv tonight. Let your body experience the mask and the air pressure and so forth for an hour or so before you go to bed. Just get comfortable with it.

If you fall asleep in your chair and sleep half the night, that's fine too.

You're just getting comfortable with the process right now.

Now the mask can be a little intimidating if it decides to leak too much. So if that happens do not worry about it. Just push the cute little power button off if you need to, reposition the mask, check to be sure the straps are snug but not so much that they are hurting you, and go again.

The first night or two is more about learning how the machine and mask work than they are about appropriate therapy.

So enjoy the experience!
Post Reply Post Reply
R_G is right, don't stress. It's not bad once you make up your mind and get used to the mask and machine.

While you're looking at the machine remove the humidifier tank and turn the machine over and read the model number on the bottom. It should start with ref or DS. Hopefully it's a 460 0r 560. It'll have some other letters to go with those numbers too.

Also, it might help if we knew the exact mask you have.
Post Reply Post Reply

G'day UK2vegas, welcome to the forum.

The retired guy has a funny way with words, but his advice is sound. Try using the machine while watching TV or reading just to get used to it. Just relax and breathe normally. You might notice that the machine is trying to force you to breathe to its rhythm - that's fine, just go with the flow and it will be OK. If you do find you're having problems, just take it off for a minute and try again. It can take some getting used to and most of us take a while to adjust. The main thing is to make sure the mask is comfortable (not too tight) and don't try to force things along.

I promise you you'll be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Another Frustrated newbie

Hi UK2VEGAS,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know you are having a bit of a rough time right now but try "REAL" hard to relax and don't stress.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy, you can do it, don't give up and keep us posted on how you are doing.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me about 3 months to finally get used to mine. I now sleep 7-8 hrs a night. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and just lay there for awhile. I love my machine. I cant imagine being without it. I don't fall asleep in the middle of the day and my wife rides with me again.

Good luck, It will get better
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi UK2VEGAS,

It's been a couple of nights now. How's it going? I've been using my CPAP since the 9th and each night gets easier. I still put it on and read for a little while to readjust to the breathing pattern. But, I do that pretty quickly now. Now the trick is to not get too involved in the book.

If you still have concerns this is the place to ask for help. There are lots of really experienced users here that will help you find the answers that will work for you.

Wishing you happy dreams. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2014, 09:05 PM)Healinhand Wrote: It took me about 3 months to finally get used to mine. I now sleep 7-8 hrs a night. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and just lay there for awhile. I love my machine. I cant imagine being without it. I don't fall asleep in the middle of the day and my wife rides with me again.

Good luck, It will get better
Hi Healinhand,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you have gotten used to your machine, I know what you mean, I can't immagine doing without mine either.
I usually don't sleep during the day, but on rare occasions when I nap, I alwaysmask up and use the machine.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish.....I haven't felt this good in 5 years.
I remember when the Doctor was asking me questions; he asked if I ever went to sleep at stop lights.
I told him, I never wait near that long. I think the biggest push for me to get a sleep study was I was driving one day and woke up and didn't know where I was.....
Best thing, I`m dreaming again.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2014, 09:26 PM)Healinhand Wrote: Thanks Trish.....I haven't felt this good in 5 years.
I remember when the Doctor was asking me questions; he asked if I ever went to sleep at stop lights.
I told him, I never wait near that long. I think the biggest push for me to get a sleep study was I was driving one day and woke up and didn't know where I was.....
Best thing, I`m dreaming again.....
I know what you mean, I really feel good since I've been doing CPAP therapy, too.
I bet that was scary, not knowing where you were, wow.
It's a good thing that you went for that sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.