Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Mask Tryout
Another Mask Tryout
Tonight I will try out the Swift FX Nano nasal mask by Resmed. It's a good nap mask for reading in bed as you can wear your glasses with it. A bit like the wisp.
I also started using the feature on S9 autoset that turns on when it senses a breath and shuts off when you take it off. Love this feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Mask Tryout
Can't wait to read your feedback~! I really like the Wisp, and am very curious about the Nano.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 06:18 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Can't wait to read your feedback~! I really like the Wisp, and am very curious about the Nano.

I'll let you know tomorrow if the AHI is good with it. I put it on this evening for a trial go. It is a bit unwieldy getting it all put together right but it is comfortable and seems to leak less than my Quattro Air. I can wear my glasses with it. I'm all about comfort so these are my first two masks. I also bought a chin strap just in case but I will try it tonight without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the Swift FX Nano at the DME's store and really, really liked it. However, when my cpap was turned on, the pressure sort of blew the mask away from face, causing massive leaks. The respiratory therapist did not think it was a good fit for me so she ended up replacing my original mask, a Mirage FX wide, with a Mirage FX small. However, she said she was just going to throw away my old mask and the Nano and offered them to me to take home.

My issue with the Mirage Fx (both sizes) is that I wake up in the morning with a red sore spot on the bridge of my nose. It was still bothering my last night when I was ready for bed so I decided to try out the Nano. I really love that the entire thing is made of soft flexible plastic! I woke up with a small mark on my nose from the Nano, but it was the kind that went away after 15 or 20 minutes. LOVE IT!

The biggest downside of the Nano for me is that the seal is rather tenuous. Anytime I moved, I had to adjust the mask. Normally, I put the Mirage FX on and forget about it. But with the Nano, every time I woke up, rolled over, or adjusted my head on the pillow, I had to adjust the mask and/or the straps.

Like the OP, one thing that appealed to me about this mask is the ability to wear it and my glasses. I've been wearing my glasses with the Mirage by folding one side, sliding it under the rigid plastic piece that connects the mask to the forehead support, then opening the side back up and putting them. I thought the Nano would make glasses wearing a breeze but I found that the bottom of my frames rest against the top part of the mask. Unfortunately, this causes the mask to leak like crazy and it's difficult to keep my eyes open when I've got a high pressure wind directed at a my eyeballs. I'm still trying to dream up a solution for this one. I have a terrible habit of falling asleep with my glasses on but I know that won't be happening anymore (at least as long as I use the Nano).

It's possible that I might get better at keeping the mask after I've worn it for a couple times. It's not hard to adjust it, but when I roll over, I want to go back to sleep, not fiddle with the mask. The way positioning of the head straps was very comfortable but it didn't feel like they kept the mask on very securely. Maybe an extra strap or an adjustment will help. I'll have to fiddle around with things more on the weekend.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Nano, despite the difficulties I had in the DME store. I am hoping that the more I use it, the more I will adjust to it, meaning less need for adjustments. I have no idea how to interpret the leak or mask pressure graphs in sleepyhead, so I'm not sure how the mask did while I was sleeping in terms of leaks. However, my AHI was comparable to what it's been the past few nights so even if it did leak, it was not to a degree that the cpap coudln't compensate for.

I hope you'll post back tomorrow and let us know how you did. If you have any tips or tricks for me, I'd be grateful.

Sweet Dreams
SSA

(11-22-2013, 05:53 PM)Lukie Wrote: Tonight I will try out the Swift FX Nano nasal mask by Resmed. It's a good nap mask for reading in bed as you can wear your glasses with it. A bit like the wisp.
I also started using the feature on S9 autoset that turns on when it senses a breath and shuts off when you take it off. Love this feature.

Post Reply Post Reply
It can take several masks before you find one you like or can at least tolerate. Give it more than one night. Some you may put on and know in the morning (or after an hour) that it is not going to work. Some may take a few nights before you know it isn't.

I think I went through about 8 or more masks before I found one I liked. And I guess I've gone through about that many since then since they keep changing what brands they carry and all that jazz.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 06:18 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Can't wait to read your feedback~! I really like the Wisp, and am very curious about the Nano.

+1
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 08:25 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It can take several masks before you find one you like or can at least tolerate. Give it more than one night. Some you may put on and know in the morning (or after an hour) that it is not going to work. Some may take a few nights before you know it isn't.

I think I went through about 8 or more masks before I found one I liked. And I guess I've gone through about that many since then since they keep changing what brands they carry and all that jazz.

I'm very happy with both the air and nano. I kept the air for colds and if my AHI is good with the Nano and I can keep my mouth shut without a chinstrap it will be mt go to mask. U hardly know u have it on and it should be fine for me as my pressures are still low.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting comment about the seal on the Nano not being the greatest. I've found with the Wisp, that no matter what I do, it won't leak~! I will pull the mask down on my lower lip more, and instead of the mask 'moving' (like I wanted it to do) it just sort of rolled down my face and nose a bit, without breaking the seal on the top of my nose. I keep the headgear at it's loosest possible setting (end of velcro), which keeps the mask from falling off my face before I turn my machine on.

My only dislike is the tip of my nose hits the mask itself, and the air blowing out of the relief-valve I can at times feel on my face (I hate that) - but this is the first mask I **like** since the "Flexi-Fit" first came out years ago. (Or the "Zest", whichever came first)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 06:28 PM)Lukie Wrote:

I'll let you know tomorrow if the AHI is good with it. I put it on this evening for a trial go. It is a bit unwieldy getting it all put together right but it is comfortable and seems to leak less than my Quattro Air. I can wear my glasses with it. I'm all about comfort so these are my first two masks. I also bought a chin strap just in case but I will try it tonight without it.

Sorry to say it was a disaster. I did not realize how bad my mouth breathing was.
I love the Nano but it doesn't love me. I ripped open my chin strap and even with the strap on as soon as I'm sleeping I begin to suck air. If you are not a mouth breather it is fantastic! You barely even know it's there. Virtually no leaks but for me unfortunately it's a no go. my AHI was up as well. bad night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I hate to report that my experience was a disaster too. I slept fine and the mask seemed fine but when I woke up this morning, I had a reddish purple line on the underside of my nose. It's on the middle piece of nose--the part that separates the nostrils. It stopped actively hurting a few minutes after taking the mask off but it is still tender if I poke it and the mark remains. I've had the mask off for 17 hours, that's a long time for mask marks to persist. I don't think I have abnormal or unusually fragile skin, so I don't know why this keep happens. I am concerned that I'm going to end up some kind of open wound if I don't find a better fitting.

It did occur to me, while writing this, that I forgot to change the mask mode on my cpap last night. I wonder how big of a deal that is. I haven't decided which mask to do tonight. I want to try the nano again with the correct settings but I do a night or to with the Mirage to let the bottom of my nose rest.

I hope I haven't given the impression that I'm making decisions about masks based on a single night of use, because I'm not. The respiratory therapist decided that the nano wasn't the right mask for me based on 2 minutes of use in the consultation room, but also gave it to me to use as a "back up." I really liked it the first night I used it but last night wasn't so great. I really do like the mask and want to find a way to make it work, but I think the bottom of my poor nose needs a rest. The jury is still out!

I'm a little confused about how trying on masks works. I'm hearing one thing on here and getting another story from my DME company and I'd like a little advice. I'd for y'alls input but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,217 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,835 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,532 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.