Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Milestone, Thankfully!
Another Milestone, Thankfully!
I've been doing fairly well going on 3 months of therapy. I have my compliance visit with my sleep Doctor tomorrow, and my compliance is at 98%. Was a struggle finding a mask, just like for everyone, but the WISP and I are getting along well now.

But last night, for the first time in more years than I can remember - I slept the entire night (9+ hours) without waking and getting up ONCE! My first 100 score on RedMed's MyAir!

After almost 90 days, I'm sleeping better, BP is down, cholesterol is WAY down, blood sugar under better control, etc. I'm at the point where I can't wait for bedtime to get my CPAP fired up. It is wonderful when something actually works!

Thanks to this Board, I know so much more about managing and monitoring my own therapy, and about the technical details of these machine. Big shout out to All of You!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Milestone, Thankfully!
awesome sauce, dave!

really!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats, Dave! Great results. Glad everything's worked out so well for you. Like you, I can't wait for bedtime and breathing on my CPAP. Keep it up!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I still have a few concerns to discuss with the Doctor - but to my surprise, I have a 30 minute appointment! So hopefully he can read my card and suggest any tweaks that would help. I'm really curious as to why he prefers fixed pressure, also, even though he prescribed an auto machine. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi parkerdt,
WOOHOO! that's great to hear, keep up the good work, CONGRATULATIONS.!
Good luck to you at your apointment.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
parkerdt,
I love hearing success stories. I also look forward to going to bed and getting a good nights sleep.
I look back and can't believe not long ago I was afraid to sleep, thinking I wouldn't wake up.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 06:25 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I was afraid to sleep, thinking I wouldn't wake up.

Dang - I know this exact feeling, and it is good to be getting that behind!

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 05:19 PM)parkerdt Wrote: But last night, for the first time in more years than I can remember - I slept the entire night (9+ hours) without waking and getting up ONCE! My first 100 score on RedMed's MyAir!

I'm jealous, of course. Best I have done is 99 because I've always had to get up at least once during the night to urinate. Last night my AHI was 0.000 but I only got 98 because I was up twice. Longest single period of sleep I've managed so far is 6.5 hours.

Got some new meds from the doctor today, so I am hoping.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 05:28 PM)parkerdt Wrote: Thanks! I still have a few concerns to discuss with the Doctor - but to my surprise, I have a 30 minute appointment! So hopefully he can read my card and suggest any tweaks that would help. I'm really curious as to why he prefers fixed pressure, also, even though he prescribed an auto machine. Wink

Mine did too.... Doctor prescribed Auto but asked me to calibrate to Fixed... I am on it for just over 2 mths and like you, love it and now I understand what a "good nite's sleep" mean Wink

I have set mine to "auto" when my machine arrived from the US and I am not going to 'fix it" as recommended by the physician...

I am thankful for this Forum and the really nice people who responded to my posts ..

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 05:28 PM)parkerdt Wrote: Thanks! I still have a few concerns to discuss with the Doctor - but to my surprise, I have a 30 minute appointment! So hopefully he can read my card and suggest any tweaks that would help. I'm really curious as to why he prefers fixed pressure, also, even though he prescribed an auto machine. Wink

That is about 6 times the length of time my doc spends (when I wait an hour and a half to see him). My doc has no interest in reading my card, also prescribed "fixed", which I vetoed, and then "auto" cut my AHI in half. This makes ME my primary care giver, and not him.

If I were to be completely cynical, I think there are two things at work here:

1) The industry is lethargic. We've had auto for some time, but there is a legacy mind-set that a fixed pressure is still best, which has no real argument to support it that I have been able to find.

2) Auto-CPAP is a threat to the lucrative PSG industry. Its a disrupter. It might mean that the relevance of a PSG is lowered significantly.

For a sleep doc to give in and admit to auto being a better solution is to allow the APAP onto the slippery slope that makes the PSG less relevant.

And I think this is also why they don't want to see the data; they pretend it is not relevant and does not exist, when we all know it is entirely relevant. They are ostriches with their heads in the sand, refusing to extricate themselves from their state of denial. They are threatened, and have circled the wagons in response. Bunker mentality.

Ironically, this goes absolutely against the Hippocratic Oath. They are doing what protects them, and not what is best for the patient. They have a significant conflict of interest, and have no thoughts of resolving that by doing the right thing, which is to accept that the world has changed.

But it is not 1992 anymore. Time now, for them to wake up and smell the propane.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.