Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Newbie
Another Newbie
I’ve been lurking on this board for a few months now and finally decided I have something to add. Briefly, I’m 67 and have recently been diagnosed with Overlap Syndome (COPD & OSA) after having chronic bronchitis for years. Stage III COPD convinced me to finally successfully stop smoking after a lifetime of trying. 

The process reaching to where I am now has been hard, depressing, confusing and discouraging. It’s been 3+ months on CPAP and I was getting ready to call it quits after not getting any benefit at all. I figured I gave it a try and it didn’t help but at least I tried. 

As a last ditch attempt I got a DreamWear mask which was an appealing design with the hose on top, air supply on both sides etc. After these months of struggling to get 4 hours a night I slept more than 8 hours the first three nights with the new mask and AHI’s ranging from 1.9 - 4.5. Needless to say I was shocked and delighted because for the first time in years I dare say I’m starting to feel good. It may be presumptuous but I’m thinking I’ve turned the corner and my life is about to change for the better. 

I’m just here to encourage other newbies to hang in there and keep trying!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Newbie
Welcome and congratulations.  Decent sleep is a wonderful thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to see you're doing well, overlap. Congrats on the success via getting the new mask as well. I suppose I can be considered having Overlap Syndrome as well I guess. I have COPD and Mixed Apnea.

Here's a coffee toast on sticking around for another year lots-o-coffee

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi overlap,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you have decided to stick with CPAP therapy and that you found a mask that works well for you.
CONGRATULATIONS! on stopping smoking.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 442 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.