Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Newbie Checking In
Another Newbie Checking In
Hi,

I was diagnosed with OSA in late Dec, and I stumbled upon this site while researching about it online. This site has helped me a lot in understanding what people went through, making machine and mask choices, and showing how to live with the disorder.

After the sleep study confirmed that I have severe OSA (AHI = 88), I tested both Respironics (came with the Wisp nasal mask) and Resmed (came with the Swift FX nano nasal mask) machines. 2 weeks with the Respironics and I just couldn't get used to it, my average AHI was 4.9, I felt like I was breathing in the same air I exhaled, there was a feeling of suffocation.

Then I changed to the Resmed for the next 2 weeks and my AHI averaged at 1.9, I slept through the night, and I don't feel the pressure at all. My doctor said the result is good, and the therapy is working.

So I bought the Resmed today after the loan period ended (the same unit that they loaned me, it was new though when I first used it). It is very expensive in this part of the world (2.5 times the price in the US). The average person will not be able to afford it, insurance specifically excludes it, although one can claim from the retirement fund.

Now it's part of my routine, wearing the mask, filling up the water tank before going to bed. No more daytime sleepiness, no more pain on my feet when waking up, losing some weight now by eating right (need to start exercising, was too tired before).

I'm happy that I found this site, thanks a lot to all who contributed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Newbie Checking In
Welcome hairy crab and well done so far Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 03:18 AM)hairycrab Wrote: It is very expensive in this part of the world (2.5 times the price in the US).
Hi hairycrab, welcome aboard
Same in Australia, I cannot afford the rip-off prices
I get my supplies from US. Both suppliers #10 and #2 ship internationally
Supplier List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hairycrab,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a GREAT start, keep up the good work, best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2014, 03:18 AM)hairycrab Wrote: Hi,

I was diagnosed with OSA in late Dec, and I stumbled upon this site while researching about it online. This site has helped me a lot in understanding what people went through, making machine and mask choices, and showing how to live with the disorder.

After the sleep study confirmed that I have severe OSA (AHI = 88), I tested both Respironics (came with the Wisp nasal mask) and Resmed (came with the Swift FX nano nasal mask) machines. 2 weeks with the Respironics and I just couldn't get used to it, my average AHI was 4.9, I felt like I was breathing in the same air I exhaled, there was a feeling of suffocation.

Then I changed to the Resmed for the next 2 weeks and my AHI averaged at 1.9, I slept through the night, and I don't feel the pressure at all. My doctor said the result is good, and the therapy is working.

So I bought the Resmed today after the loan period ended (the same unit that they loaned me, it was new though when I first used it). It is very expensive in this part of the world (2.5 times the price in the US). The average person will not be able to afford it, insurance specifically excludes it, although one can claim from the retirement fund.

Now it's part of my routine, wearing the mask, filling up the water tank before going to bed. No more daytime sleepiness, no more pain on my feet when waking up, losing some weight now by eating right (need to start exercising, was too tired before).

I'm happy that I found this site, thanks a lot to all who contributed.

Great to hear your story Hairycrab, and welcome aboard.
I am going to start treatment this week and am getting very excited. I have trialled a Resmed Swift Nano, like you are using, so have that ready to go. I am pleased you are liking it, I hope I will settle in with it as well.
Glad you have a good routine going and are feeling results already, it brings music to my ears. Keep up the good work!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.