Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Newbie with a question
Another Newbie with a question
Hi- I just got my cpap today- I am kind of excited cause if this helps me, I will be a very happy person once again!
Question- When the rep was going over how to use the machine- she put it on my nose and I could feel the air but it was hard to breathe out- that was disturbing- She said that once I get used to the machine and when I am asleep, I wont notice that- is that true? I am going to use it tonight for the first time but am getting anxiety about not being able to breathe out-
Thanks for any and all advice
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another Newbie with a question
Hello and again welcome to the forum. Granted, I am a long time hosehead, but I have a fairly high pressure, and many times if I waken in the night, I can't even tell if it's on and blowing, until I do something like cause a leak. It *can* take time to get used to it, but it is worth the effort.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cookie810,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which Resmed machine do you have? The name of it is near the power button.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

You'll be surprised how quickly the body adapts to the higher pressure. When I put on the mask at night the pressure feels so strong. By the next morning I'm wondering if the machine is still on.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2015, 02:29 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi cookie810,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which Resmed machine do you have? The name of it is near the power button.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.

It says Resmed airsense 10

I am not too worried about the air going in, breathing it in is easy, but when i breath out thru my nose it felt hard to push out air- but she said I wont even notice that once I am asleep- I sure hope she is
Post Reply Post Reply

I was fortunate to have the Sleep Center that gave me the trial machine to spend a little time with me. She let me sit under a couple of masks. This gave me time to get into a breathing rhythm and choose a mask type.

Just a suggestion but you don't have to wait till bedtime, go sit with your mask now. Relax and get into a steady rhythm. Clear your sinuses and be patient. g'luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2015, 01:26 PM)cookie810 Wrote: Hi- I just got my cpap today- I am kind of excited cause if this helps me, I will be a very happy person once again!
Question- When the rep was going over how to use the machine- she put it on my nose and I could feel the air but it was hard to breathe out- that was disturbing- She said that once I get used to the machine and when I am asleep, I wont notice that- is that true? I am going to use it tonight for the first time but am getting anxiety about not being able to breathe out-
Thanks for any and all advice
Smile
I understand you, I had trouble on exhale myself, so If your having trouble check and see what the EPR setting is on, you have 3 options 1,2 or 3 that is the amount of pressure it will decrease when you exhale, My DME had mine set on 2 and I felt like it was hard to exhale so I changed mine to a 3 and that worked for me. Oh I forgot you can also shut the EPR off. Is your machine set up via wifi with your DME ? If so she could change it for you remotely.
If not you can do it yourself you need to go to the clinical settings.
But you might want to try it first for a night and see how it works for you.
Sleep well

Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
lol. it might be awhile before I understand those acronyms- I am not sure what the epr, or dme is-- but I will give it a go tonight and see how it goes- I told her in the office that It was hard to breath out, she didn't mention changing any settings- I also have a booklet that I will be reading after dinner- I just hope its easy
Post Reply Post Reply
You might look at the name above the on/off button, and add that to your profile. That will answer a couple of questions not yet asked. Software could become important, depending on the name you enter into your profile. The EPR will lower the pressure when you exhale, so you are not breathing against the pressure so much. With a setting of eight, if that is effective, you might find you might not need it for long. But, if you eliminate one issue at a time, things will be more comfortable during your initial experience with apnea therapy. These guys, and gals will bend over backwards to help you with the tech stuff I do not know, and never will, as well as practical stuff ahead. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick note to say hi - I am new also. Last night was the first night with the machine. I woke up about four times feeling like I couldn't breathe/being suffocated. At first it was hard to relax.

I am finding it helpful reading the various boards here and I'm keeping a list of questions to ask my dr. when I see him for the follow up visit.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 93 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 236 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 332 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.