Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Newbie with a question
RE: Another Newbie with a question
(01-14-2015, 01:09 PM)Sparkle Wrote: Just a quick note to say hi - I am new also. Last night was the first night with the machine. I woke up about four times feeling like I couldn't breathe/being suffocated. At first it was hard to relax.

I am finding it helpful reading the various boards here and I'm keeping a list of questions to ask my dr. when I see him for the follow up visit.

Good Luck!

Hi Sparkie, welcome to the site.

Waking up feeling like you can't breathe is often a matter that your set pressures may be too low. The S9 will work better for you if the range is narrowed. To establish where that should be, you need to know what your event experience is, and what pressure actually controls them.

Correction: I see you have an S10 (Actually that would be an A10?) instead of a S9. Same thing applies, and in addition the A10 defaults to a terminally long "ramp" time. So by the time it ramps up to a happy spot, you are asleep. The problem is you might be struggling with the pressure because it stays too low for too long. You can reduce the ramp time to something more useful, like "off." But you need to get the minimum pressure up a bit or you'll still be uncomfortable.

For openers though, you should raise that low end from four to at least 6 or 8.

Also you need to download the Sleephead software (link at the top of the page) and start viewing your results on your computer.

Finally, we need for your dialog to have it's very own thread so the rocket scientists out here can advise you better. So to that end, perhaps some kind Mod will happen along and fix you up.

Post Reply Post Reply
You'll have setbacks, you'll wake up due to the mask, this is all normal getting used to having it strapped to your head. It depends on the individual as to how long it will take. I personally had a five week adaptation period and after that things only got better and better. Be patient with it, and the payoff will be worth the journey. Good luck to you, we are here if you have questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
From one newbie to another, ask lots of questions and read the posts that are already on here. I have found both invaluable. No doubt in a few months us newbies will be oldhands and advising others and wondering ' were we like that'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2015, 02:38 PM)cookie810 Wrote: It says Resmed airsense 10

There should be one more word underneath AirSense 10. We need to know what that says, too.

It could be CPAP, Elite, AutoSet, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 93 Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 236 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 332 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.