Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Water Question
RE: Another Water Question
theunk, if you're getting slime in your hose, are you cleaning the parts at all? I've never, ever had slime in my hose, and I sometimes forgot to drain, rinse, and refill my humidifier tub for several days maybe even longer than a week.

Just make me wonder how you could get slime in the hose and mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water with the humidifier set to 0 and rinse my tank every so often. I use vinegar to clean it when the deposits reduce the amount of water the tank can hold. (Just kidding - clean deposits when I see them start to form). I fully clean my mask once a week in the shower and use the same body wash I use to clean me.

I did go the distilled water route for a while, but it was a pain to keep remembering to buy it.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The slime will grow on any surface that is wet most of the time.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
So far, I haven't had to deal with any slime. Well......other than the kind you put in tires or inner-tubes.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2021, 12:02 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: theunk, if you're getting slime in your hose, are you cleaning the parts at all? I've never, ever had slime in my hose, and I sometimes forgot to drain, rinse, and refill my humidifier tub for several days maybe even longer than a week.

Just make me wonder how you could get slime in the hose and mask.

You have done it all I assume? I did not say it was in the mask.
When I started CPAP in the early 90's humidification had just moved from nebulizers to plastic ambient temperature containers. Instructions and support from the service providers was minimal. "Use distilled water, rinse everything with distilled water, leave it setup for the next night". I didn't use distilled water very often but had a drinking water tap with an activated carbon filter which removed most of the chlorine. On vacation during my first year of CPAP, the gear in the back of our little hatchback got a little warm. Getting setup for the night I noticed a bit of odour and the biofilm of non-pathogenic bacterial slime in the humidifier and the hose. I went to a market, got some Dial antibacterial hand soap, and thoroughly cleaned everything. That was the last time I ever used non-chlorinated water. It was the last time I ever experienced any form of slime. I am going to assume that you use standard tap water, which is why you have not had any experience with said issue. I haven't since that day in 1995 either. Now that most municipal water supplies are treated with chloramine rather than chlorine, the odour and possible side effects from inhaling even minute amounts of chlorine gas are greatly reduced - at least the odour is reduced. People should be discouraged from thinking distilled or RO water provides healthier humidification. My own experience, using less sophisticated technology, suggests it isn't a good idea. But everyone has choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed the word towards a mask indicating not at or in.

As for done it all. I've never been a coffee roaster, coffee farmer, surgeon, a prison warden, a woman, serial killer, pilot, race car driver, astronaut, pro sports player, Hollywood actor, singer, writer, dog, cat, horse, fish, or eagle, and therefore I haven't done anything that they do specifically in a given day. So apparently I've not done everything. You?

I have yet to make a bowl of this blue slime stuff either, but it looks fun.

[Image: YekYJgu.jpg]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SMH...After reading this thread I have discovered that I am alone, and a true cpap nerd...I have a gallon jug of distilled water by my bed.   Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used anything but distilled water, and never had any build up of slime or any other gross thing to deal with.  Yeah, now I suppose I'll get posts telling me tap water is just fine.... well, I wouldn't drink my city tap water either.  

However, I do often make slime with my grandkids.  Cool  It's very therapeutic!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2021, 07:16 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I've never used anything but distilled water, and never had any build up of slime or any other gross thing to deal with.  Yeah, now I suppose I'll get posts telling me tap water is just fine.... well, I wouldn't drink my city tap water either.  

However, I do often make slime with my grandkids.  Cool  It's very therapeutic!

Coffee I got your back Opal!
Post Reply Post Reply
The money I save by not buying distilled water, is money I use to buy gas for my m/c.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.