Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another bipap question
Another bipap question
With my current pressure (95% is 20) I have to really hunker
my mask down. If I had a bipap would I still have to do that?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another bipap question
It's hard to say actually.

Are you have more apneas or hypopneas? Many people that have a lot of hypopneas can do better on BIPAP using much lower expiratory pressure. So while you may need 20 of CPAP to keep your airway open it may take less pressure on BIPAP to do the same job. Less pressure usually means your mask doesn't have to be as tight.

I would recommend telling your doctor that you are having some difficulties with the CPAP and would like to do a 2 week trial of "auto bipap". EPAP min 8, IPAP max 25, PS min 4. (just guessing on decent settings based on what you are on now).

If you do much better on the BIPAP (same or lower AHI using less pressure), the doctor can do an RX for BIPAP or even Auto BIPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using BIPAP one has to be able to seal at the IPAP pressure as well as the EPAP pressure. If you are using your Autoset without expiratory pressure relief and your pressure is up to 20 you will actually get a momentary over pressure in your mask at the beginning of your exhalation. if this is the case for you, the use of EPR or BIPAP would reduce the effective pressure that your mask sees and you could probably loosen the headgear somewhat. I would try the EPR at 3 first, if you are not already using it in conjunction with readjusting your mask fit.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi readyforsleep,

Also, using a mask liner (such as RemZzz) would probably allow the straps to be less tight, no matter what type of machine we use.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My EPR is 2 , will be moving up to 3 on Monday. (I try to make
slow adjustments)
I am using pad a cheek and or home made liners. I still
wake up with the mask marks on my face. Maybe the mask
is too big?

To answer Jaycee's question my apneas are obstructive.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2014, 01:26 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: To answer Jaycee's question my apneas are obstructive.

Pnea = breathing
"A" = without
"Hypo" = under

Apnea = without breathing
Hypopnea = under breathing (shallow breathing)

On your report it should break out the difference between apneas and hypopneas (AHI = Apnea/Hypopnea Index = total number of apneas + hypopneas per hour, AI = apneas per hour, HI = hypopneas per hour).

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night, not one of my best-
Ahi 4.22
hypopnea .64
apnea 0
obstructive 3.45
clear airway .13

my data is from sleepyhead. 95% leaks were 6.0. Im using a
chin strap on top of my mask to meld everything. That might
be the culprit for mask marking. I'm going to try a different chin strap tonight.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 985 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  [Pressure] BiPap air pressure question AmbitiousCut0 30 2,064 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.