Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another camping question
RE: Another camping question
(06-18-2015, 08:58 PM)GWild Wrote: A 12V 18AH sealed lead battery is about $35. If your xPAP is 12V, and you have the 12V car adapter and mating plug for it, a clip to DC outlet cable and the battery are all you need. A common part number for this type of battery is UB12180 (12V18.0AH)... I saw a 35AH version for $85... but you don't need that much, but it would last longer.

You can run overnight on the $35 battery then recharge it with jumper cables while the engine idles along ... recharge will take 15 to 30 minutes on a healthy alternator.

I have a similar sized battery and it works quite well. The caveat is I paid more for my battery, and it is designed for deep cycle use. While the $35 battery is AGM, they are generally used for starting applications, but it'll probably last several camping trips used this way (think of it as a disposable multi-use battery). So if you have the DC cable to fit your xPAP, and can find the battery and the clip on DC outlet, you should be good to go. Just be sure to fully charge the battery before you leave home. You'd hate to wake up that first night to a new but dead battery.

The OP has an S9 which runs on 24 V DC; and it has a 3 prong DC plug.
Running from DC requires the 12 V DC to 24 V DC converter from ResMed. It get the Voltage to 24 and it provides the 3 prong DC plug.
That route adds about $100 just for their converter. I personally have one to operate on battery in the event of power loss.

I keep a 35 A-Hr scooter battery on a battery tender should I lose power here.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Mongo - thx! I read the 24v part and kept talking 12v ... doh. Yeah, two of those 12v 18AH batteries in series is 24v 18AH... same energy as a 35AH single 12v setup, too. Just need the cables to hook it up - no converter required (if that plug is simple 24V DC).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 02:42 AM)GWild Wrote: Mongo - thx! I read the 24v part and kept talking 12v ... doh. Yeah, two of those 12v 18AH batteries in series is 24v 18AH... same energy as a 35AH single 12v setup, too. Just need the cables to hook it up - no converter required (if that plug is simple 24V DC).

Nope.
Your remed requires a secret handshake so you have to buy the factory 12x24vdc adapter.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 06:42 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Nope.
Your remed requires a secret handshake so you have to buy the factory 12x24vdc adapter.

What MD said.

This is one reason I moved away from ResMed products in foavor of more patient friendly lines. They are SO passively agressively hostile towards their patient base whne they do crap like this...

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 07:12 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 06:42 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Nope.

What MD said.

This is one reason I moved away from ResMed products in foavor of more patient friendly lines. They are SO passively agressively hostile towards their patient base whne they do crap like this...

OMMOHY

I would not be surprised at all to find the root cause is some Au gvt reg saying only approved devices can be used. I mean it seems they are being held up on cellular modem pending gvt approval. WTH should a cellular modem need gvt approval? Not like it is experimental tech....

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
A serial link makes zero sense ... unless it is some odd power saving feature. Perhaps a simpler 'ON-OFF' function is at play? Anyone ever actually reverse engineer the pins to see what really happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would reverse engineer the power plug if I had a dead S9 to do it to.
It could be a remote Voltage sense line that feeds back to the regulator in the power brick.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 621 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,629 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 571 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,627 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Dry Camping with CPAP ApneaticBill 2 787 06-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Post: ApneaticBill
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Small camping CPAP + battery system recommendations Greg_R 0 1,008 10-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Greg_R

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.