Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another cpap noob!
Another cpap noob!
After a few years of living with apnea, my wife made see a doctor. Sure enough, I had it bad. At least that's what the doc said. So, two sleep studies later, I'm on cpap. I just picked up my equipment this evening. The DME was most helpful. She gave me, what I believe to be, a decent machine. She wanted to give me FFM but, I told her I liked the nasal pillow type I used during my cpap sleep study better. She said that it was no problem. She gave a heated hose and a chin strap at no extra charge, even though she told me that the straps don't really work in her opinion. I said that for the comfort difference, I'd make it work! Since I got home so late, I think I'll set it all up tomorrow. I don't have a user's manual so, I had to download it. I'm not afraid of it, just too tired to mess with it tonight! Wish me luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another cpap noob!
Welcome to Apneaboard H2Daddy, Glad to hear that you have a good DME. Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
doesn't sound like you went to apria. stick with it and come here for any help so you will stick with it. we have been where you are. your wife will thank you for it because your chances of waking up dead just decreased (along with hopefully never having heart conditions, etc.). Oh, the chin strap did great for me and after a few months, I no longer need it. Hopefully that will be the case with you PROVIDED they gave you a good chin strap and not that flimsy one
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi H2Daddy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's too bad you didn't feel like setting your machine up tonight so you could get started, the sooner,the better. Good luck with it tomorrow.
It's great to hear that you have a good DME, they are sort of rare.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

The 560 is an excellent machine.

Nasal masks and chin straps can have problems with mouth leaks, and you may need a full face mask. However, I think the disadvantages of FFM's are enough that it's worth trying a nasal mask and trying to make it work for most users.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi H2Daddy,
I do wish you luck, but it sounds as if you have a positive attitude and you will adapt well.
I also started out using a chin strap, but didn't need it after awhile. If you find that you breath from your mouth or open your mouth during sleep, try practicing keeping your tongue to the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue right behind your front teeth. This blocks any air entering your throat.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You got that thing set up yet?

It's really plug and play.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 10:55 PM)archangle Wrote: Welcome.

The 560 is an excellent machine.

Nasal masks and chin straps can have problems with mouth leaks, and you may need a full face mask. However, I think the disadvantages of FFM's are enough that it's worth trying a nasal mask and trying to make it work for most users.

What are the disadvantages of full face masks?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
So. How did it go?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the late reply. Work keeps me pretty busy. Well, as much as I wanted the P10 to work, it just wasn't meant to be. The mask was great overall but, I couldn't get it to not bruise the bottom of my nose. So, while my numbers were good (AHI=.51; no leaks and I slept really well), the pain was not. I tried every size pillow (large worked the best), every possible arraignment of the straps but, no joy. So, today I exchanged it for a Respironics Nuance Pro. It did feel better on my nose with a bit more room between and below my nostrils but, I'll find out for sure tonight. I'll check back in next chance I get.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 235 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 899 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 466 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Bipap Noob Questions supyasieve 14 1,155 10-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: supyasieve
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,476 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Noob - posting first OSCAR screenshot Cool 2 760 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Cool
Gross [CPAP] Mask Help for Noob Johnnyde94 11 1,335 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Johnnyde94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.