Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another leak question...
Another leak question...
I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a repeat question. Recently, Sleepyhead is saying that I've had major leaks. Reading through the posts, I'm thinking it's time for new pillows so I've got some on order. However, I was wondering does it matter about the major leaks if my AHI is still under 5 or do the major leaks skew the number? I've attached a screenshot of my results. Does anything glare out at you that I need to do in order to feel more rested? Thanks for your help.
Judi
[Image: AHI_1.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another leak question...
I don't see any problem since your 95% Leak Rate was only 9 L. per minute. The one large leak that occurred around 3:15 am isn't something of major concern since it probably was due to you changing positions and knocking the mask askew for a while.

Your AHI of 2.12 is reasonably good and means your apnea is being treated.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Duuuude. Your leaks actually look pretty good.

Yes, large leaks can have an effect on your AHI but it takes a worse condition than you have to even make that a possibility.

I think that it might help you if you elevated your head without kinking your neck. Try a 4 inch wedge pillow or elevate the head of the bed 4 inches or just try using a number of pillows that put your body on an incline from the waist up. I think that this might help your snoring and your AHI.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try sleeping on your side -- like your avatar. Helps some people.
Say hello the folks at WHAS AM Louisville for me!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2015, 08:31 AM)Judi Wrote: I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. Sorry if it's a repeat question. Recently, Sleepyhead is saying that I've had major leaks. Reading through the posts, I'm thinking it's time for new pillows so I've got some on order. However, I was wondering does it matter about the major leaks if my AHI is still under 5 or do the major leaks skew the number? I've attached a screenshot of my results. Does anything glare out at you that I need to do in order to feel more rested? Thanks for your help.
Judi

Hi Judi, A phenomenon that occurs with nasal pillows mask is commonly called "mouth breathing". I prefer to call it "loss of therapy air due to PAP air escaping orally". If this is indeed what is happening, the only real solution is to change to a full face mask. Therapy air escaping orally can be minor or massive and both will defeat your therapy. Low AHI does not indicate no problem. This is my opinion & is born out by years of therapy. I am constantly under an AHI of 5 which is considered "Treated". but I never feel fine or fit even though I am physically healthy.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2015, 06:43 AM)woozie38 Wrote: Hi Judi, A phenomenon that occurs with nasal pillows mask is commonly called "mouth breathing". I prefer to call it "loss of therapy air due to PAP air escaping orally". If this is indeed what is happening, the only real solution is to change to a full face mask.

Not the "only" solution. Many people can learn to keep their mouths closed while sleeping when using a nasal mask or pillows. And chin straps work for a lot of people.

I use a FFM myself but when my mouth opens while I sleep I get a dry mouth, which is not very desirable. So the FFM is not always a sufficient solution either.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same machine you do. It will flag aleak large enough to affect therapy or event recording. With PR machines you watch total leaks.
Large leak is around 70 your highest is under that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Judy. Your leak is well below the 70 LL threshold for your machine. I have the same machine.
It looks as if your min pressure is to low. You might try nudging it up .5cm wait a week, if ni difference in ahi and how you feel nuge it up another .5cm and repeat until ahi goes down abd you feel more rested.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 240 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 153 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.