Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another lesson, please [swallowing air]
Another lesson, please [swallowing air]
I use a Reamed S9.  Nasal pillows.  No leaks as a rule.  Ahi under 3.0.  often 1.1 or 1.2.  Pressure reduced recently from 12.5 to 11.0 due to 20 pound weight loss.  
My eyes are puffy.  Every morning I look like Harvey Weinstein after a heavy party.  OK maybe a bit uglier.  I am also full of air.  Puffed up. Can't seem to stop that unless I get up in the middle of the night and soak my face.  Which is weird.
I have a reading on the machine labelled er.  What's that?  My er is 2.0
My oximeter reading is 3.3.  one day test only.  What's that?
I must be swallowing air but the ahi is perfect....any input?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another lesson, please
(10-20-2017, 02:51 PM)coastalhermit Wrote: I use a Reamed S9.  Nasal pillows.  No leaks as a rule.  Ahi under 3.0.  often 1.1 or 1.2.  Pressure reduced recently from 12.5 to 11.0 due to 20 pound weight loss.  
My eyes are puffy.  Every morning I look like Harvey Weinstein after a heavy party.  OK maybe a bit uglier.  I am also full of air.  Puffed up. Can't seem to stop that unless I get up in the middle of the night and soak my face.  Which is weird.
I have a reading on the machine labelled er.  What's that?  My er is 2.0
My oximeter reading is 3.3.  one day test only.  What's that?
I must be swallowing air but the ahi is perfect....any input?

If your machine is data-capable, you could get a head start on answers by downloading SleepyHead. You'll need an SD card in your CPAP and a reader on your PC/Mac. Then post charts here.

Instructions at top menu or below signature line of several posters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi coastalhermit, are you sure it says ER and not EPR?
I have looked at the Clinicians manual and it does not mention it and I don't know of ER, but then what do I know?
http://www.apneuvereniging.nl/forum/pdf/...manual.pdf
EPR is Expiry Pressure Relief.

But someone might be along to say ER exists!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right, of course.  My addled brain dropped the P.  No wonder I couldn't find out what it was.  With the added letter, I found out.  Something to do with exhilation.  After reading, I don't think that's it.  After further reading, I am more confused.  I get virtually no leaks.  And yet that's the biggest suspect.  It could simply be air going everywhere up and down tubes.  But my CPAP performance suggests that the air is going where it should....????
I still hit 10.8 so going below 11 is not a good idea.  And I can't see how raising the start level from 6 would help.  I am lucky to have such good numbers.  But who wants to look like an old debauched party-pig every morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned expiry relief off as I don't need it at 11.7 which is what I am requiring instead of the 18 I used to be on with a CPAP!
I find my throat offers to close with EPR turned on.  So it is now off.
I would suggest you try it without EPR just to see how you get on, if it is to much turn it on at 1 then if you still find it hard go to 2 again.
See what your machine says about your nights sleep then.
Sleepyhead charts posted here will let others help you a lot more.
You can go into the clinicians menu for a more detailed report, but Sleepyhead is better.
I enter the Clinicians menu every morning just to see what it says.
I have the newer machine, but it is basically the same just a few tweaks.
I think you need the Clinicians menu to turn off the EPR anyway.
Manual above if you can access it over there, failing that look in manuals section or ask for one.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: thanks.gif]  I'll try that.  I live on a remote island and do NOT have access to what I think are called DME's....?  Clinicians?  Don't have access to anything but but seals and ravens.  I'll have to try to turn it off on my own.  But, before I start to mess around pressing buttons willy-nilly, anyone know how to turn off EPR?
Post Reply Post Reply
Up at the top, in the black bar, is a link labelled 'CPAP Setup Manuals'. Click on that, and you will find a page telling you how to get the Clinicians' Manual for your S9. You will need the exact model name for your machine. It will have everything you need to change the EPR on your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2017, 05:46 PM)coastalhermit Wrote: [Image: thanks.gif]  I'll try that.  I live on a remote island and do NOT have access to what I think are called DME's....?  Clinicians?  Don't have access to anything but but seals and ravens.  I'll have to try to turn it off on my own.  But, before I start to mess around pressing buttons willy-nilly, anyone know how to turn off EPR?

Maybe we could do a house trade for a while.  I live east of Pittsburgh where they make the Philips Respironics machines and it snows in winter.  We have raccoons and crows.  How about it?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another lesson, please [swallowing air]
I am sure you deserve a few weeks in heaven and I am happy to share but....no offense intended....I deserve no time in what has become a political nightmare.  And Pittsburgh in particular is lacking in cachet.  I sure do like the ordinary 'Merican but not your government. Call me crazy but I  wouldn't trade if you chucked in a million bucks for spending money.
Could ya handle wolves howling?  Whales rolling by the front deck?  Eagles screeching greetings every day?  No sirens.  No police.  No pollution.....just surrounded by natural beauty?  
I've written two books about it and I love it.  I'll never go back.  I'm way off the grid and sometimes it seems not far enough.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 526 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 545 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  Problem swallowing using nasal pillows mask kysbie 2 858 07-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Air swallowing in throat EmaNTD 1 912 10-14-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Canuck 2
Sad Still swallowing air Drexette 0 717 03-07-2020, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Drexette
  Leaks, drooling, and swallowing, oh my! tmoody 7 1,873 11-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.