Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another long over due newbie
Another long over due newbie
Hello all, a long time snorer who has finally decided to bit the bullet and get checked for sleep apnea. Of course I have other health issues diabetes II, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and acid reflux. Slowly getting those under control and I have decided to take the next step and see if I can deal with wearing a mask while sleeping. I have an appointment next Friday for a consult before the actual sleep test, will have to wait and see if they want an in house or at home study first.

Just wanted to make my first post so when I am ready i will be one post down before I can start posting links for the SleepHead data. I have been doing as much research as i can these past couple weeks to be informed.

Thanks for the great board,
Dean
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another long over due newbie
Remember when you have data to post before your post count is up use imgr and put a space in the http as h ttp and we can grab the img or a mod can easily fix the links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Ok, let's start your education.
2 very important links in my signature.  the "New to Apnea" and the "Mask Primer".

The mask is a VERY important prat of therapy, and because of that you need to take every opportunity that you can to try different masks.  The Mask Primer talks about different masks and a strategy to try masks (least intrusive to most intrusive).

The New to Apnea link will walk you thru much of what you are about to experience.

Finally get a copy of all of your Sleep Tests and Prescriptions.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dsmith14469,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I put off my sleep study for over 2 years.....now I can't believe how ridiculous that was!  Yes, the hose is something to get used to...but the benefits far outweigh any inconvenience!!  I have never slept so good. Try a nasal pillow mask first. It is very minimal and if you don't have issues with mouth breathing it's really easy to get used too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep so much better with cpap. I help full hint is to wear the mask while watching tv or reading a book while you are awake to help you get used to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest thing I did to increase comfort was to turn off the ramp function.

I thought gradually raising the pressure would help but turns out I felt air starved at less than 8 so my minium was at 9 so what's the point. No 10-15 minutes of struggling before it was at the right pressure.

The second thing I did I switched to the climate line hose. Without it the air was too cold and not humid enough for me. My attempt at turning up the humidity resulted in my mask and hose filling up with water. All solved with the heated hose.

It takes me about 4/5 minutes for my brain to relax and then the mask disappears. It litterally merges with my nose and goes away. I think it takes a bit for the heated air to warm up the mask.

Watching TV or reading a book is great advice...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.