Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another new AirSense user with a couple questions
RE: Another new AirSense user with a couple questions
(07-03-2021, 07:38 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Your pressure setting on autoset is IPAP (inhalation pressure). EPR subtracts from IPAP and a setting of 1 is 1 cm subtracted, 2 is 2 cm etc.

So if your pressure is 7 cm and EPR is off then EPAP is 7 cm, if EPR is 3 then EPAP is 4 cm.

The autoset is much more responsive then PR so you can try just setting EPR to see what is comfortable and then review your data. If you are having apnea or pressure are regularly being held higher by obstructions/flow limitations then try raising min pressure to see if it improves.

You can get an idea of what feels comfortable by adjusting the settings while awake with mask on and machine running. One of the most obvious ways is to set EPR to 3 and then turn it on/off to see the difference it makes. From there you can fine tune to what feels most comfortable to you (no EPR, only a little or a lot).

Ok, thanks.  That’s what I needed to know.  I might try it at 2.  My average pressure seems to be 9, so 2 would drop it to 7 which is my low limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like math formula the EPR goes like this:
Minimum Pressure minus the EPR number (1-3 cmH2O) will equal your lowest therapy pressure as in

Min pressure - EPR number = min pressure

Second for Max benefit of EPR 1, min pressure must be 5 or more
Ditto EPR 2, Min pressure must be 6 or more
Ditto EPR 3, min pressure just be 7 or more
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2021, 08:31 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: Ok, thanks.  That’s what I needed to know.  I might try it at 2.  My average pressure seems to be 9, so 2 would drop it to 7 which is my low limit.

Just to be clear changing your EPR to 2 will make your new starting EPAP 5 cm (cause min pressure is 7). Your pressure will rise if flow limitations, snore, hypopnea or obstructive apnea are present. Your old average pressure of 9 may change because the increased EPR may treat flow limitations more or lower EPAP may make a few more hypopnea/apnea.

With the PR machines this is more of an issue because they react so slowly. With your new autoset it will react much more aggressively and raise pressure if needed, you can get away with using a noticeably lower pressure setting on autoset then you needed with old PR machine because of this. 

In short don't overthink or worry about your settings. Leave min pressure at 7 for now and adjust your EPR to what is comfortable. Then adjust pressures if needed (if apnea is present etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, little steps.  I’ll leave it off a few more nights to settle in for a while, then set to 1 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick follow up:

Since my last post things have gotten pretty crazy around here with travel and some emergencies, so I haven’t had a chance to get many consistent good sleep nights. AhI numbers have been ranging from 0.4 to 1.8 (maybe even >2). This week should be more normal. I’ll experiment a bit in a few nights.

Is there a particular location to post OSCAR results for comments and suggestions, or is this thread OK?

PS: I noticed the AirSense price has gone up about 30% at my supplier. I ordered my replacement within a couple days of the Philips recall and got it before the price jump.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah just post here. I noticed the price increase too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2021, 08:28 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: Is there a particular location to post OSCAR results for comments and suggestions, or is this thread OK?

Since this is your thread, OSCAR posts will fine.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the AirSense and AirFit N30 nasal cushions for a while now.  I've had them long enough that I should be seeing consistent results, but I'm not.

I range from <1 AHI to >4 AHI from night to night.

I rarely have a night where I don't wake up several times because I'm losing air through my mouth.

Another thing that may be having some effect:  since Spring I've lost over 30 pounds and am inside my "healthy range".  I will have to dig out my original sleep study, but I'm going to guess that I'm at a lower weight now than I was then.

I've attached two nights of data:  1 at 0.86 AHI and another at 4.13 AHI.  I'm hoping someone can see anything that I could be able to control with settings.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Based on those two charts, I would suggest reducing EPR to 1 or turning it off. That should reduce the occurance ot those inconsistent CA.

In addition, I would suggest using the F12 key to take screenshots, as it will remove the calendar and pie chart, and allow us to see more of the settings panel. - It restores them after, if they were present.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2021, 04:34 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Based on those two charts, I would suggest reducing EPR to 1 or turning it off. That should reduce the occurance ot those inconsistent CA.

In addition, I would suggest using the F12 key to take screenshots, as it will remove the calendar and pie chart, and allow us to see more of the settings panel. - It restores them after, if they were present.

OK on the F12 (edit: turns out I did the the screenshot using the menu dropdown that also maps to F12)  I was trying to find instructions on the best way to do that, but I wasn't successful.  I thought the pie chart and the other data associated with it would be useful.

I'll turn off the EPR.  It's funny that I turned it ON in order to see if it would help.

Can you explain why the CA would be affected by EPR?  CA = "An apnea where the airway is open".

If I sleep in a particular position, I'm more likely to open my mouth which causes air to blow straight out.  Would that trigger a CA event, where the machine wouldn't sense a breath?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 919 4 hours ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 463 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.