Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another new mask
Another new mask
finishing my third month on the cpap machine ... I've tried 5 different masks in that time period.. for two reasons.. leakage and air blowing out the vent waking me up.  Today I tired the P10 nasal pillow mask .. fits very nicely and is quiet and the diffuser keeps the purge air from waking me up. It felt like a zero leak mask.. but looking at the OSCAR data, I see what seems to me to be a lot of leakage.,.. Please look at the first view and let me know what you think of the leakage.

the second screen shot: why isn't this classified as an Apnea? not enough time?

many thanks
charlie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another new mask
Breathing obstructions have to last 10 seconds or more to be considered an apnea.

Regarding the leak, I have found pillow masks to show that kind of constant leak. But it may not be the mask. A couple days ago I tried to trace down the constant leak with my Brevida mask. With the mask on and machine running, I carefully felt along the length of the ClimateLine hose feeling for leaks. I found a couple pinhole leaks. I pulled out a spare hose and it had pinhole leaks too. A third hose, fresh out of its plastic wrapper, finally had no leaks. With the new hose, I no longer see a low-level constant leak.

Here is the leak graph with the leaky hose and with one that doesn't leak:

I never notice that with the F30 mask, but maybe that is because it is attached to a different hose? That hose has a hose cover and that may protect the hose.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to check that out.
the day before with the old dreamware pillow mask with the hose on the top had almost no leakage.. kinda looked like your second pic.  so I think the heated hose is OK.

the new mask does has a piece of hose that is part of the mask itself and although it is new, it could have a leak...

I've got some more detective work to do ...

but I really like the way the P10 fits and feels .. felt rested and although I do wake up multiple times in the night.. it wasn't cpap that woke me up.

thanks again for all the advice.
charlie
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
That leak rate is not a problem. If you put your mouse near the words (leak rate left side of the column) and right click. Go down “dotted line” and pick max leak. I’m not on my computer so I forget the exact wording but it will put a dotted line where above is to large of a leak. Anything below it is ok.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The leak trace should be fine to accept. The left panel stats were 99.5% at 13.x, about 8 below ResMed's leak redline. That's enough of a leak rate cushion to not affect therapy. Your 95% was 7.x so even moreso at acceptable level.

How about your comfort while using the P10? If you liked the mask, put this leak trace down to being your normal.

The event was not long enough to be flagged.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks.. I'lll give it a try

after just one night, I absolutely love this mask!!
light a a feather & very quiet & good diffuser
came with three pillows so I could pick the best fit.
and it felt like zero leak rate.
the hose in the front works best for me (side sleeper)   and there is less resistance to breathing.

I started with dreamware nasal, immediately went to dreamware nasal pillow, then to a f30i full face mask, then a resmed nasal mask with hose in the front and then finally with the P10 nasal pillow with hose in the front.  each one worked OK on occasion.. the dreamware nasal pillow would be my second choice after the P10
charlie
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2021, 11:43 AM)cberistain Wrote: thanks.. I'lll give it a try

after just one night, I absolutely love this mask!!
light a a feather & very quiet & good diffuser
came with three pillows so I could pick the best fit.
and it felt like zero leak rate.
the hose in the front works best for me (side sleeper)   and there is less resistance to breathing.

I started with dreamware nasal, immediately went to dreamware nasal pillow, then to a f30i full face mask, then a resmed nasal mask with hose in the front and then finally with the P10 nasal pillow with hose in the front.  each one worked OK on occasion.. the dreamware nasal pillow would be my second choice after the P10
charlie
Thanks charlie

I recently tried a number of masks.  Started with full face masks. Figured that they didn't block my view at all and surely my discomfort would be gone. Found horrible leaks.

My N20 is being terrible.  It may be time for a different mask.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
@cberistain - Please note that Large Leak parameter (the grey bar in left panel, near the top) shows 0% large leaks. Masks do have "intentional leak" to get rid of the air you exhale. Additionally, PAP machines can compensate for some leaks -- up to the "red line" where large leaks begin. In the case of ResMed, 24 liters per minute is the red line. So anything less than 24 is not a problem and the LL parameter will be zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave
when I first started I assumed that the hose on top of the head made the most sense, to me, being a side sleeper. How wrong I was ... the hose in the front makes a lighter & more comfortable setup and allows for a proper diffuser.. it doesn't interfere with side sleeping at all.  But in the process, I'm using a chin strap (I'm a mouth breather), a cervical collar & a cpap pillow, which made it possible for me to use just a nasal mask.

I hope my search for the perfect mask for me is over ... but if not, I'll continue searching until I find the model that suits my face and gives zero leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
cberistain I have the same needs.

I've used ResMed N20 for almost 3 years. 2 years? doesn't matter. It's not working for me now. chinstrap==actually I have a Knightsbridge Dual Band strap. And a spare. It's not working well for me now. It was excellent when I bought it.

So I think I need a new mask model.

tonight I'll use my N20, tape and cervical pillow (which is just a little bit too large because bottom straps interfere with the collar.)

I've made one change wth my S10 for her to see if it works better for me.

So your post is extremely important to me.

My leakage rate is too high. Time for a new type of mask.

Dave
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.