Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another new member from Australia
RE: Another new member from Australia
More tidbits for use when starting out:

"Machine choices" wiki article

Resmed A10 setup instructions (how to get into the clinical menus on the machine to check the run hours and to set pressures, etc.) ... it's good to print a copy of that and bring it with you when visiting a seller to inspect a machine.

Requesting a PDF of the clinician's manual ... follow the instructions for asking for a PDF to be e-mailed to you.

Airsense 10 user's guide from the Resmed web site (PDF)
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
After 3 years with a Chinese Resmart apap I purchased a Resmed A10 from the US. I would have no qualms of doing it again.
The only person that I heard of that had a problem with a machine from suppler 2 got it resolved in a few weeks.

I would be very tempted to get a secondhand machine if the hours are reasonable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correction. I just edited my previous reply to delete the part about the DV5x's run-hours display. Sorry, I had that wrong! I was remembering a different thing and thinking it was something else: the DV5x has a cumulative "Compliance meter" in addition to what it calls the "Hourmeter". "Compliance meter" can be zeroed out, but Hourmeter can't. <emily-litella>Never mind! Smile</emily-litella>
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish this site had a delete post option.  Rolleyes

Lord knows I'd make use of it. Saw a CL ad for a ResMed AirSense AutoSet 10 with 240 hrs. on it for $200.00. I tried to post the link, but it didn't take.  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't post a commercial link, neither an you post a link to a prescription item for sale.

If you want to delete a post, ask a friendly moderator.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2019, 10:36 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: You can't post a commercial link, neither  an you post a link to a prescription item for sale.

If you want to delete a post,  ask a friendly moderator.

I'm learning, albeit, slowly.  Cool

The ad is for exactly what I already have. Seriously thinking about buying it for myself as a spare machine. 247 hrs., in excellent condition, and all the extras, for $200.00?

I'm thinking it's a no-brainer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2019, 09:12 PM)midvalleyguy Wrote: Much appreciate the replies so far. All good info!

First - I am not prepared to purchase any non-Australian imported model. I want local after sales and Consumer Affairs support if anything goes wrong. 

Second - A new ResMed package here in Oz will set me back around AUD$2000 - simply not a consideration. More than double the DeVilbiss DV54. Yes, you get what you pay for.

BUT - I notice there are several used ResMed 10 Autoset CPAP machines advertised on my local eBay and Gumtree quite cheaply - around AUD$500. Obviously out of warranty. 

***So,is it unhealthy and/or unsafe germ-wise to buy a used ResMed 10 Autoset machine?*** Thinking-about

Don't mind your rant Fats Drywaller  Grin. Every bit of info helps in my final decision. Luckily I'm in no hurry to purchase.

I am in South Australia.

In general I have found the people in this industry to be poorly trained and just interested in your $$....to be honest my dealings have been average at best.

My first "clinician" worked for a company owned by Philips but did not disclose that...I became wary when they only pushed the purchase of Dreamstation.
She helped me very little, and had no idea about settings....we just stayed in auto full open
I found the Philips initially ok, but had nothing to compare it with....in the end I found it's delivery too aggressive.

I went elsewhere and have trialled a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.
Again the "clinician" has limited knowledge about settings...she did ring me pretty quick when I changed them...lol.
I have found the "for her" algorithm with some tweaking best for me so far.

I will say that the Resmed is so good over the Philips in noise & harshness, I had to check that the Resmed was actually on and operating!

I have learnt more off this forum, & some online friends on a computer forum, than I have from these so called "Clinicians"

I am in same boat with pricing....all up I am getting quotes of $2200 - $2500.
I am about to take the risk and buy from Supplier #33
I know someone in Australia who has previously without incident....I think even if something went wrong I would still be infront $$ wise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pete G has summed it up. Diagnosed three years ago I decide to rent a machine to see if I could handle PAP therapy. I went via Air Liquide and because my prescription was for CPAP only they wouldn't let me trial an APAP. I got around this by asking my GP to write a script which I wrote out for him and got him to prescribe. The know-it-all woman at the outlet was very unhappy about this but had no choice to go along.

I was told by her that it was illegal to change the therapy parameters my self - WRONG! I was told that I legally needed a script to buy a machine in Australia - WRONG! After deciding that I could handle PAP there was no way I was going to buy a machine at the seriously inflated prices here in Australia. I have used Supplier #2 for all my machines and they do have a back up service even though they are based in the US. Unless you are wealthy, it's a no-brainer.

While the De Vilbiss might work for you, Resmed is the way to go followed by Respironics. My first machine was a Fisher and Paykel. The Resmed I use next just blew it out of the water and the same will happen when compared with the De Vilbiss.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great to know Supplier #2 is good for support internationally

Have you bought new, factory sealed open box, or low hour units?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 06:00 AM)holden4th Wrote: While the De Vilbiss might work for you, Resmed is the way to go followed by Respironics. My first machine was a Fisher and Paykel. The Resmed I use next just blew it out of the water and the same will happen when compared with the De Vilbiss.

Yes, that sounds right to me.

The best way I can think of to summarize my earlier gripes about the De Vilbiss machine is that, after using a Resmed Air10, the DV54 seems like merely an approximation of what CPAP should be.  It's not just about check-lists of features, or the number of options available in the menus.  It's about whether all of those things are done right, which you can't tell by reading spec sheets.  The Air10 is more sophisticated, and much more effort has gone into its software (firmware) over the years.  I bought my DV54 (new) early last year and the manufacturing date stamped on the box was within the previous month, but the machine's firmware is V0.23 from December 2013!  That's pretty significant.  (The company went through some bad times soon after that, apparently. I have to assume that all development work was switched to the "IntelliPAP 2" machines, DV6x.)

About Philips Respironics, what seems to be a good summing-up of the algorithmic differences between PR and Resmed was recently posted by Sleeprider here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid281361

and

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid273655
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,535 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,023 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,558 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 998 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.