Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another new member from Australia
RE: Another new member from Australia
Again, thank you for all the additional feedback!

At present my situation is as follows:

I have signed up for a 30 day trial of the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto starting next Tuesday 15th Jan, using a Dreamwear nasal mask as prescribed. This local storefront supplier (Supplier X) sells it for AUD $1600 (US $1150). I really need to see if I can handle the whole situation before any purchase. 

Just because I sleep very poorly each night and snore on and off, my sleep doctor has not yet stated I definitely have sleep apnea (despite supplying me with a prescription). I have been unsuccesful so far in obtaining any detailed sleep study info.

It seems to me that ALL well-known brands of CPAP machines (ResMed, Respironics, DeVilbiss), irrespective of their varying bells and whistles, enable safer breathing. Rather  - IMHO - it is likely the most suitable/correct type of mask is what makes up 90% of the success of any CPAP machine.

I have contacted 2 ebay sellers of the ResMed - both AUD $500 (US $357) - and asked for the serial numbers to ascertain place and year of manufacture. They are both over a year old and probably each has over 2000 hours (365 days x 8 hours)  

Supplier X above understands I don't have a bottomless wallet and I have told them I will not be buying a new ResMed from them. They have advised me that I can bring in any used ResMed I buy off eBay or Gumtree and they will "sanitize" it for AUD $50 , and can also supply new parts as suggested here in previous replies.

I feel like I am tap dancing on razor blades LOL Bug-eyed
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand the need to buy a new hose, mask, pillows, water reservoir, etc.......if you buy a used machine. 

But, it is really necessary to sanitize the machine itself? I don't know, I'm just asking. How does one go about that? Ozone treatment or something?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 06:15 AM)Pete G Wrote: Great to know Supplier #2 is good for support internationally

Have you bought new, factory sealed open box, or low hour units?

Low hour units - all of them less than 500 hours and one of them was, surprisingly, at zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no need to supposedly "sanitize" the machine. Just replace the humidifier water chamber, which is an easily available Resmed part. Also, of course, don't use any hose or mask that might be included with a used machine bought from an individual seller via ebay, gumtree, etc.; throw those out and buy new ones. Replace the filter. Filters should be less than $1 each when bought in quantity (for instance, box of 24). That's all there is to it. Anything further is a waste of money.

As others have said, local supposed "support" or hand-holding is vastly overrated. I'm sure that many of the folks here have not used DMEs in years. I started out about a year ago thinking that I should use a local DME just on general principles, and it was the line of least resistance at first because of my insurance setup ... if insurance will buy the machine, then why not? But it soon became obvious that a DME is not needed, and after a few months I fired mine for intolerable incompetence. It was far more trouble than it was worth. I bought my own machine and masks. That was a huge relief, and I don't expect ever to use another DME. Even if I eventually need bi-level or ASV with a different prescription, I'll still buy my own new machine (not locally, and not paying the MSRP let alone a DME's markups on top of that) rather than deal with that nonsense all over again. It's worth it.

A possible big exception to that is where the patient's sleep-apnea case is an outlier on the bell curve and the patient for some reason needs that in-person consulation on machine settings, mask choices, etc., in collaboration with a sleepydoc, with the RT at the DME company following the doc's instructions. But even then, if the patient is self-paying rather than doing everything via insurance, that too calls for re-thinking the whole thing. As the old advertising used to say, "Why pay more?" There's actually no reason to do that, believe it or not. I mean, aside from supporting local businesses, which is a long-lost cause anyroad.

You can get all the CPAP help you need, and relatively quickly, here on AB. (There are also other Innertubes resources, of course. This one just happens to be the best.)

Web-ordering or phone-ordering a low-mileage machine from Supplier #2 is risk-free and a good deal, compared to a lot of the alternatives. Good outfit, good people, good service. I don't know how the international-shipping dance goes, with customs and duties and all, but if that's workable and not outrageously expensive, then I say go for it. Also and BTW, a used machine from that supplier (as compared to an ebay seller, for instance) will have been "sanitized" (a.k.a. cleaned) for you, it'll include a new hose, and you get a warranty. S#2 also sells new machines, as do the four Oz web-order companies in the Supplier List.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 07:47 PM)midvalleyguy Wrote: It seems to me that ALL well-known brands of CPAP machines (ResMed, Respironics, DeVilbiss), irrespective of their varying bells and whistles, enable safer breathing. Rather  - IMHO - it is likely the most suitable/correct type of mask is what makes up 90% of the success of any CPAP machine.

About that first part, yes, safer breathing, as far as that goes. It may or may not be comfortable breathing. About the second part, not necessarily! As I said, I've been A/B comparing A10 and DV54 for many months, and the difference is vast, with everything else (mask, pressures, etc.) the same. I estimate the split between machine and mask at more like 50/50, not 10/90. However, once you have found a mask that's close to ideal for you, the machine becomes all-important and all flaws of it become obtrusive, so it's subjectively closer to 100/0. Again, it's all about the firmware and how much trouble was taken to get everything right. The firmware is not mainly concerned with bells & whistles.

So it's good that you'll be test-driving an A10. I predict success and low AHIs eventually, of course. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I really wouldn't have any issues using a used hose, face mask, or water reservoir. Those are items that can be easily cleaned / sanitized, good as new. As long as they are not damaged or on the verge of needing replacement due to wear & tear. As long as the head gear isn't all stretched out of shape, it too, can be cleaned / disinfected. 

The face pillow though, I would opt for a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2019, 11:55 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I really wouldn't have any issues using a used hose, face mask, or water reservoir.

All right, you may have all of my used ones, as I replace them. Just PM me your snail-mail address. Don't worry; my doctor says that the syphilis and hepatitis are both under control and are nothing to be concerned about any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2019, 01:04 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 11:55 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I really wouldn't have any issues using a used hose, face mask, or water reservoir.

All right, you may have all of my used ones, as I replace them.  Just PM me your snail-mail address.  Don't worry; my doctor says that the syphilis and hepatitis are both under control and are nothing to be concerned about any more.

It seems you live a very worrisome life. Fumes, aromas, scents, fragrances, all out to get you. 

I am glad that you do have the syphilis and hepatitis under control though. Both can really cut into a guy's social life.  Dodgy Not that I'd know........just what I've heard.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2019, 07:47 PM)midvalleyguy Wrote: It seems to me that ALL well-known brands of CPAP machines (ResMed, Respironics, DeVilbiss), irrespective of their varying bells and whistles, enable safer breathing. Rather  - IMHO - it is likely the most suitable/correct type of mask is what makes up 90% of the success of any CPAP machine.

I'd argue against this statement till the cows come home...lol...almost like saying all cars drive the same and it is the tyres that make the difference, or the seat.

Alot of it is under the hood

I reckon you should start out on a low end machine, then move to the Resmed.....only then will you appreciate the difference

I really wanted to like the Responics

The Resmed I really like
Post Reply Post Reply
As a fellow Aussie I’m sick of being ripped off as a customer.

I purchased my first machine in Oz at an extortionate three times the price of overseas sales.
Not one item since have I bought in Australia!

I travel a lot and got a second machine online from USA. All consumable parts (filters, Nadal parts, straps etc) I buy from USA.

My original machine is now quite old and last month I decided to get a new model. Below are comparison prices in Australia:USA for you to look at.

Philips DreamStation Auto CPAP with Humidifier in oz costs AU$2599. I just got mine from USA for $us695. (AU$967)
And two masks.
Pslairo Q Nasal Mask (AU$140) instead of in oz @ AU$275
Shipping was US$90 for all three items.

You’d be saving yourself a fortune by purchasing online from America!

Customs clearance was another $80

So $3200 in Australia for my machine and two additional masks or $1260 from America. I’d choose online every time.

Hope this has been helpful for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 201 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,868 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 190 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 535 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,099 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,619 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,070 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.