Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another newbie question
Another newbie question
Hi folks,

I really appreciate this forum. I have been using CPAP therapy for about 6 weeks now and I am amazed at how much better I feel ( except for the nights when I tear my mask off in my sleep).

I live in Toronto which is cold and dry right now so I always use a humidifier . In a couple of weeks I am going to Hawaii for a vacation away from the Canadian cold.

My question is: when I am in a warmer place do I need to use my humidifier? Toronto is quite humid in the summer. Do I need it then? Do I keep filling the reservoir or do I disconnect the humidifier?

I have a Resmed Autoset with humidifier and have settled on a Pillairo mask as the most comfortable.

Thanks in advance for the advice. This is a lot to take in, and a lot to get used to.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another newbie question
Hi Mike and welcome to the Forum! Always a pleasure to hear from a Canuck, even if he's from Tcherannah Smile

For the most part, local air humidity won't be a factor for you needing a humidifier - if you experience a dry and sore throat because of a machine without a humidifier in one place, it is likely that you will in another. The nature of the compressor and the forced air into your throat is what sends a dryish stream to you and can irritate it, and unless you live in an extremely humid region, there is likely not to be much variance in your reaction to a CPAP without a humidifier. It is there to add extra humidity after the air stream is compressed in the hope of easing the discomfort by picking up extra moisture on the way to you- doesn't always work, BTW - I still have a sore throat when I wake up, even with it set to 5, the highest setting on my machine. However, I might note that most people can stand the sore throat if it is for a short time - so if this trip to Hawaii (wassamadda? Tuktuyuktuk not good enough for you?) is short enough, and you can take the sore throat for the time of the trip and need to spare the weight, then leave it behind if you must.

If you do disconnect your humidifier for any reason, make sure you clean it and dry it thoroughly before storing it in a place where dust and other contaminants can't get to it (even a tea cosy should to the trick).

Enjoy being a snow bird.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to a weather site and monitor the humidity where you are going. But, really, I'd take it. Hotel's are horribly dry due to the air conditioning. It is easier to take it and not need it than to leave it at home and be miserable because you need it.

I live in the Southern US and I don't use the humidifier in the summer. I do, however, keep water in the tank and use it as a "passover" humidifier which helps with allergies. Last summer I went to Minneapolis for a conference in June. Not too hot that week. The first night, I used it in just in passover mode and the next morning was congested. The second night I turned on the humidifier and woke up much better. I'm not used to air conditioning and the added moisture helped.

Humidification is such an individual thing. Some people never use theirs, others can't sleep without it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2013, 09:47 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Humidification is such an individual thing. Some people never use theirs, others can't sleep without it.
+1 cannot live without it

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Everybody is different. I use my humidity year-round. even when it's humid here in Missouri in the summertime. It's a trial and error thing.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 more...cannot live without it.

I don't think I would be able to use PAP without humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I don't use my humidifier any more. I was suffering with terrible sinus problems. I live in a humid climate all year round and after adjusting the damn thing higher/lower with the same results, I eventually just use it without the humidifier chamber attached and the slimline hose. From the day I stopped using it, I haven't had any sinus probs in over a month. But as other people have said, it's an individual thing, everyone is different
Post Reply Post Reply
Weeble, glad you got hat fixed! I'll try to remember it to use as advice for someone later.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I go down South for a vacation I take my humidifier, but use it at only 1. It's so humid there I think I could do without humidification. Still I take it just in case. I think it's better to have and use even if only in a passover method if nothing else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assume you need the humidifier year round, even in warm humid climates.

However, experiment with it. You may find that you personally do better without it at certain times or places. Or even do fine without it.

Me, I need it year round, but do turn it up and down as weather, air conditioning, and my own needs vary.

Do be sure to empty the tank before moving the machine. It's amazing how many people forget that when they're in a hurry. Be careful that hotel maids, or friends/relatives helping pack or clean up don't move it either. If you aren't home, take the tank out when you get up in the morning. Also be careful to place the machine somewhere you won't pull it off the table and spill the water.

Carry an extension cord for inconveniently located power outlets in hotels.

Check carefully that you don't forget the mask, hose, water tank, power supply, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.