Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another newbie question
RE: Another newbie question
If your average room Relative humidity is extremely high then is a heated humidifier still neccessary?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 12:29 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Weeble, glad you got hat fixed! I'll try to remember it to use as advice for someone later.

Yes Paula02, I certainly won't forget that experience in a hurry and will definitely advise if someone else has the same problem.

On a different note, still haven't got the photo..will TRY and remember this weekend. Sorry Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 06:04 PM)wasserware Wrote: If your average room Relative humidity is extremely high then is a heated humidifier still neccessary?

I say no - but am sure others will disagree - once again, it's a personal thing and a case of what works for each individual person.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 06:04 PM)wasserware Wrote: If your average room Relative humidity is extremely high then is a heated humidifier still neccessary?

For some people, the answer is still yes. Few places have high room relative humidity 365 days a year. Also, "high" humidity for breathing purposes is higher than "high" humidity for room air purposes.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The thing to remember is that the compressed air stream is almost always a bit drier that the air around it. Running it through a humidifier allows the air to regain and increase on the humidity that it carries. Some people, when getting the hit of increased air pressure need additional moisture for the nose and throat to handle it, others don't. Some with strong post nasal drip may actually benefit from not using a humidifier, others need it to help prevent irritation of the mucous membranes... It is very individual and not nearly as dependant on the surrounding air humidity as one would think. You would need to live in a tropical rain forest region for you to have no need ever of a humidifier, or in a desert region to have a definite need of one - every one else, it depends on how you react.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies. It is much appreciated. I'm sure i'lll be asking more newbie questions as I continue on this journey.

As a side note: last night I must have pulled my mask off very soon after I fell asleep and only put it on again about an hour before I had to get up. My goodness, what difference! I was dragging all day long. I probably felt like this for years before I started my therapy. I probably didn't realize how nice it is to get a good nights sleep.

Mike in Trawna

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mike,
If you still find that you might be having trouble getting used to your mask and machine, you could mask up and use your machine while you are watching tv or reading in the evening before you sleep to get your body used to it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2013, 02:01 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Mike,
If you still find that you might be having trouble getting used to your mask and machine, you could mask up and use your machine while you are watching tv or reading in the evening before you sleep to get your body used to it.

Yes I've read that elsewhere. It seems to make sense so I'll give it a shot

Thanks

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 06:17 PM)weeble Wrote:

I say no - but am sure others will disagree - once again, it's a personal thing and a case of what works for each individual person.

Then again, if the air is cold - humid but cold - then a heated humidifier still has its advantages.
Post Reply Post Reply
Toronto, eh? Smile (ex-Montreal resident here. )
You might need a heated hose too up in the frozen North.
If the humidity is over 50% on average you may need a DE-humidifier for the room/house. (at least 40-80 pints per day)
With 50% or higher humidity the stage is set for mold growth behind your walls etc.
Humid air also costs more to heat and cool. (water resists temperature change by storing ambient heat)
In Canada, mold might be a warm weather issue (low temps also inhibit mold)
but no need to encourage that crap getting a foot hold in your dwelling.

Hope this helps,

Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 11 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.