Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another newbie with setup questions
Another newbie with setup questions
Hello all. Getting my apap machine on Thursdays and I'm trying set up the bedroom. Do most of you use a regular pillow or Cpap pillow? Do you use a hose manager of some sort? Will be using a FFM if that matters. Any other set up advise? Machine will be on a night stand next to the bed. Does it matter if the night stand is higher or lower than the bed?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another newbie with setup questions
Welcome Pita2112, I always have the hose coming from above my head for two reasons, first it pulls the mask up instead of down and saves leaks and secondly it save you getting tangled. I made my own hose manager system but you can hang it over your bedhead if you have one or but one over the net.
My other suggestion to newbies is use mask liners with a FFM, you can buy them over the net or some insurance companies cover them or you can make your own fairly cheaply, I can send you the instructions if you want to make them yourself. Good luck with your journey, stick with it and you will see really good results and above all stay positive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pita2112,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You can have the hose routed over your head, either with a hose management system, or something homemade, such as a hook of some sort attached to your bed, and some string to loop the hose through.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 09:47 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome Pita2112, I always have the hose coming from above my head for two reasons, first it pulls the mask up instead of down and saves leaks and secondly it save you getting tangled. I made my own hose manager system but you can hang it over your bedhead if you have one or but one over the net.
My other suggestion to newbies is use mask liners with a FFM, you can buy them over the net or some insurance companies cover them or you can make your own fairly cheaply, I can send you the instructions if you want to make them yourself. Good luck with your journey, stick with it and you will see really good results and above all stay positive.

How do the mask liners help?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pita2112, The mask liners are useful if you have a problem with the full face mask irritating you nose, which is common. They can also ameliorate leaks around the nose bridge and prevent them from being bothersome, which is also common. They can also prevent any allergic reaction that some users have when the silicon mask cushion contacts their skin, that's not very common though. I find mask liners make the mask more forgiving when it gets bumped or otherwise slid around. I make my own from my discarded tee shirts since pure cotton is most suitable for this application. Currently I have mine sized to only cover the upper half of my nose since that was my area of greatest irritation. YMMV

edit: If you don't have a lot of flesh on your nose, that is to say you have a bony nose like I do, then the slightest pressure will cut off the blood supply and you can develop a pressure sore similar to a bed sore that some people get. That's what happened to me and the mask liner solved the problem.

Best regards, Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 09:41 PM)Pita2112 Wrote: Hello all. Getting my apap machine on Thursdays and I'm trying set up the bedroom. Do most of you use a regular pillow or Cpap pillow? Do you use a hose manager of some sort? Will be using a FFM if that matters. Any other set up advise? Machine will be on a night stand next to the bed. Does it matter if the night stand is higher or lower than the bed?

I use a regular pillow. No point paying $$$ for a pillow brand with the word "CPAP" in it Smile

I use a hose manager made out of a cable tie and a clamp (total cost less than $1). No point paying $$$ for a stand with the word "Cpap" in its brandname Smile This system dangles the hose from the top of the headboard and keeps the mask stable.

Machine should be at a level lower than your head, to reduce the chance of rainout dropping into your mask in the night. If you are using a climateline hose with your Autoset then the level is not that relevant since the heated hose will much reduce the chance of rainout. Machine should be at a level and a place where you don't drag the machine while sleeping. It has happened with members here before. Using a hose manager will help here. Some people also rest the machine on a surface which is more resistant to movement (like a mousepad or some liner type material).

Nightstand placement with a hose management should work.

Also, I would encourage you to switch to a nasal pillows mask now or down the road. Much easier to control leaks and needs less pressure to be effective. And much more stable and minimalistic vs. a FFM.

When I started CPAP, thinking that I am a mouth breather, I started on a FFM (Airfit F10) and was on it for 100 days. Then I switched to a nasal pillows mask (Airfit P10) and was amazed by it. If I knew earlier, I would have started with the P10 rather than the F10.

Good luck.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pita2112, I'm fairly new 3.5 months in, I will tell you some things that worked for me: One thing I rigged up a hose hanger at first just out of a coat hanger that I ductaped to side of nightstand. It keeps hose from tangling up in bedding if it comes from above. Since then I've rigged a more permanent hanger but still use a loop formed from coat hanger. I use the mask liner I purchased online and it so helps with comfort wearing my FFM and also controls leaks. After switching from reg bed pillows I now use the form fitting pillows, only one so my chin isn't pointing down possibly inducing apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
surferdude, pretty much answered it for me
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

Make sure you can't pull your machine off the table. If you turn it over with water in the humidifier, you can damage your machine. You might want to put it in a drawer, on the floor, or route the hose such that you can't pull the machine over. One trick is to tie the hose to the headboard or some other high point such that you can't pull on the machine.

Having the machine lower than the bed helps a little with "rainout" where water condenses in your hose, but it doesn't matter, other than that. Even then, it doesn't help that much.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Pita2112,
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here.
I tried an overhead mount and it just didn't work out for me, but I use a lightweight P10 nasal pillow mask, so it doesn't bother me to just leave it draped over my chest and use a clip to attach to PJ or blanket. I can turn either way without it pulling, works great for me.
I also ordered one of those CPAP pillows with cutouts on the sides. Unless you like sleeping on a brick for a pillow, don't bother with it. It's hit or miss as to what will work for you.
As far as rainout, I dont experience it, but I use a heated hose so it stays dry.
:welcome:
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,671 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.