Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gave in and became a known OSA patient
Gave in and became a known OSA patient
Well after years of snoring complaints (although none by my sweet wife) I gave in and went to a sleep center. Cigna denied an in-center test so I was given a home strap-on test system. Results were 63 AHI and 62% oxygen.

So no titration test, the DME (Apria) hands me an APAP set to 5-20. I picked the Amara FF mask (still a serious deviated septum after one surgery attempt). After eight days I have a tender nose bridge and struggle with leaks over 10cmH20. Tough to install the mask at 5cmH20 and not have issues at 13 in the middle of the night. I'm going to go back and try another mask.

AHI still running at 8 to 15, but its only been 8 days.

I certainly appreciate this website and the admin emailing me the clinician manual. While I don't intend to play doctor I did bump the minimum up to 6 last night as at 5 it seems like I wasn't getting enough air. Should I set that back to 5 before I go in to the doc in 60 days? I don't want them getting upset.

I do think my attitude is better already and my after-lunch alertness is improved. One other major advantage is NO trips to the bathroom at night, whereas I as getting up every two hours before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gave in and became a known OSA patient
Check to see if you have the ramp on. If you do, try turning that off. That may help with the feeling of no air.

Make sure you don't have the straps too tight. Masks are designed to "float" on the face. When the air comes in, they kinda inflate the inside flap thingy that forms the seal. Over tightening can break that seal and make it hard for it to form.

I think all of us go through a LOT of masks before we find the right one. Keep trying, don't give up. Lots of folks here like the two Quattro masks.

Oh, and welcome to the board! Glad you found us!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 11:43 AM)Redonthehead Wrote: I do think my attitude is better already and my after-lunch alertness is improved. One other major advantage is NO trips to the bathroom at night, whereas I as getting up every two hours before.
Hi Redonthehead
Congrats, these are good signs that the therapy is working for you

Don,t worry about numbers at this stage, finding the right mask is most important, might take few trials with different masks

Get some nose pads for your nose, you can make your own too
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/gecko_...nc=dealers

Check if "mask fit check" turned on, in the clinical menu. You don,t want to over tighten the straps, cushion designed to seal inflated with air, if straps are too tight would leaks more ... washing the cushion daily is recommended for better seal
Amara fitting guide http://www.theanswer.philips.com/amara/right_fit.html

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Redonthehead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a good start, just keep on going and don't be shy about trying as many different masks as it takes 'till you find the one that works for you.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You can download SleepyHead software and watch your data that will give you info on leaks, AHI, etc. How does your insurance company expect you to get proper treatment without knowing your optimal pressure or at least a pressure to start with? I don't know much about in home testing and what info is gotten by them. Hope you have great success with Apria.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 01:56 PM)zonk Wrote: Get some nose pads for your nose, you can make your own too
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/gecko_...nc=dealers

Hi Redonthehead, welcome to the forum!

The Gecko nose protector is $16 from Supplier #2 on our Supplier List (link at top of all forum pages). Eliminates leaks around the eyes. Lasts about 1 or 2 months until gets too soft and stretchy to work well.

I use Quattro FX FFM with RemZzz mask liner to control leaks (without needing gel pad). RemZzzs last me 3 or 4 days until they get stretched out of shape and don't seal as well.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2013, 11:43 AM)Redonthehead Wrote: I certainly appreciate this website and the admin emailing me the clinician manual. While I don't intend to play doctor I did bump the minimum up to 6 last night as at 5 it seems like I wasn't getting enough air. Should I set that back to 5 before I go in to the doc in 60 days? I don't want them getting upset.

My Doc wants me at constant 12, but that pressure pumps up my stomach with and actually comes blowing out of my tear ducts in my eyes! Doc had changed my pressure to auto-titrating range of 5-20. I was still getting AHI between 6-8. With my clinicians manual in hand, I raised my minimum pressure from 5 to 8.

Its only been two nights, but nite# 1 I had AHI=2.5 and nite #2 AHI=3.1

I learned how to "crack" the clinicians interface in order to see my numbers, and it has helped a great deal. Thanks to ApneaBoard!

I encourage you to go ahead and "play doc". I have a feeling that some of the resistance to letting us see and set our numbers is that it means fewer visits for sleep studies, and lower profits for the medical provider clinic.

Post Reply Post Reply
bobzzz are you looking at your data? if not, you may want to download ResScan and/or SleepyHead and look at your data. Look at your median, 95% and max pressure and see what those numbers are. I would look at those numbers for a few weeks and see what they are and then adjust your pressures according to that data. Since your doc wants your pressure at 12, I would set your machine at 11 for the low number. Then, watch your data and see what your high pressure is and then determine your high pressure number. Right now, you have a big range for your pressure settings. You can tighten that range up by watching the data. I wouldn't set your low pressure below 11 though if it were me. Just a few suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2013, 09:56 AM)bobzzz Wrote: Doc had changed my pressure to auto-titrating range of 5-20. I was still getting AHI between 6-8. With my clinicians manual in hand, I raised my minimum pressure from 5 to 8.

Its only been two nights, but nite# 1 I had AHI=2.5 and nite #2 AHI=3.1

Hi bobzzz,

Sounds like the 8-20 range may be working well for you. Although increasing the minimum to 8 likely improved your AHI, I wouldn't raise minimum higher than 8 just yet. I would watch the data for a week or two before perhaps raising minimum to 9 and watching another week or month.

The originally-prescribed fixed pressure of 12 was probably chosen to be high enough to avoid apneas while you were sleeping in the supine position, when gravity tends to pull our relaxed tongues back and increase our pressure needs. One way to lower your pressure needs (so that a minimum of 8 may be adequate rather than 11 or 12) would be to stay off your back while sleeping.

I wear a slightly snug teeshirt with a tennis ball in a pocket sewn right between the shoulder blades, to definitely keep me from rolling onto my back while asleep.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the input. I was able to borrow a couple of masks from the sleep doc and found the Quattro FX much better than my PR Amara. No nose bridge pain at all. My DME (Apria) had a new FX delivered to my house in one day.

The FX is fine but sometimes does ride up the nose and occasionally rubs the top of the ear. I would like to try the Quattro Air sometime. I had leak issues with the Quattro Mirage.

I decided I could bear with the 5-20 pressure range until my 60 day appointment with the doc. I don't want the insurance police on my case. They are watching closely during this initial period - actually called the other day and told me how well I was doing (there is a cell phone attached to the System One unit they can access and look at the data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New patient Mach9 7 604 12-12-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Mach9
Idea [Treatment] Directory of patient-enabling CPAP Treatment Providers EasySleep 12 1,087 04-27-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is in-lab titration study needed for higher-risk patient who wants to avoid COVID? DevinJones 19 1,377 03-11-2023, 07:37 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  Just Bought Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset - gave up waiting for Phillips! VolvoFan 14 1,565 12-22-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: socalsleeper
  [Equipment] DME GAVE ME APAP THAT HAD BEEN HEAVILY USED? Superstar 39 2,863 10-20-2021, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Superstar
  Cpap vet getting Medicare coverage and a "new patient" exam - need advice please! FormerFed 19 2,693 10-18-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: plakky
  How to change the Patient stored in my CPAP Mrand 4 897 08-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Mrand

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.