Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another winter power outage question. Please help.
Another winter power outage question. Please help.
Hi,

I have a ResMed Aircurve 10, with 2 97ah, deep cycle marine batteries ready to go. I know it's best to turn off the heated hose and humidifier, but breathing sub zero cold air might not only hurt, but it could possibly cause frost bite. How can I heat up the intake without hurting myself?

I thought about hand warmers, but I worry that the chemical ones might cause a problem. There are battery powered ones, but do you need to be holding it for it to work? I was thinking I could place one of them on a towel, near my air intake.

What do you think? Thank you, kindly.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Another winter power outage question. Please help.
(12-18-2015, 12:58 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Hi,

I have a ResMed Aircurve 10, with 2 97ah, deep cycle marine batteries ready to go. I know it's best to turn off the heated hose and humidifier, but breathing sub zero cold air might not only hurt, but it could possibly cause frost bite. How can I heat up the intake without hurting myself?

If you actually have sub-zero temperatures in your house, you might want to get a generator to run your furnace. The hose only raises the temperature a little, it's not going to take 0 degree air and make it 100 degrees.

Post Reply Post Reply
With two 97 Amp-Hr batteries you could run for quite some time with humidifier and heated hose on.
I'd guesstimate you would half your run time with the extra load.

How long do you think you might be without power?

For everyone, now is the time to make sure you have a backup plan.
On the west coast, el niño, may bring strong storms this winter.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2015, 01:03 PM)Terry Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 12:58 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Hi,

If you actually have sub-zero temperatures in your house, you might want to get a generator to run your furnace. The hose only raises the temperature a little, it's not going to take 0 degree air and make it 100 degrees.

It has happened where it was about 2 degrees f in the house, during a power outage in a snow storm. Unfortunately, I don't own the house, and I worry that if I run a generator, someone might steal it; backyard of house is accessible.

Does anyone know the power draw on a ResMed Aircurve 10, ASV? I've tried to find the specs online to no avail.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of our members from Norway created a calculator to determine run hours for the Resmed S9 with and without humidifier. Power demand is going to be effectively the same for the Airsense 10.

I just wish he had put these all in one thread.

ResMed S9 with humidifier H5i and climate control hose.

S9 on 12V battery, no humidifier

This search came up with a lot of useful responses on Apneaboard.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the link to the latest ResMed Battery Guide. Nothing I can see about the AirCurve, though.

http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...lo_eng.pdf

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
With the humidifier, each battery should get you just about 2 nights. You might get slightly less because there's an efficiency loss going from 12 to 24 volts, which the machine needs, and while not a huge loss, very cold temperatures cost battery capacity. 0 degrees F will reduce the battery capacity by about 20%.

You can get a full night on each batter, with humidifier and heated tube if you have one, with a good bit "left over". If you leave the humidifier and heated tube off, and your pressure isn't too high, you should get 2 nights on each battery.

While not an exact comparison, I get 2 nights from a 100A/H battery with a Respironics APAP running 15-20, with the humidifier on high.

Post Reply Post Reply
Too cold to breathe?

How do other folks that are not on CPAP deal with the issue? It is no different for you with a CPAP than it would be for them.

And as to heated humidification - how do you get or store liquid water for your heated humidifier in sub zero conditions? If you get liquid water at those temps, I kind of doubt that the heated humidifier would make much headway at keeping at a "comfortable" temp or maybe even free of ice.

Same temperatures, same humidity with or without CPAP. Are you in the cold cold house during waking hours? How do you pre-heat your air then? I don't think this is an issue.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 231 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,437 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 406 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 871 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 571 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.