Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anti-bacterial filter Bacterial/viral filter
Anti-bacterial filter Bacterial/viral filter
Does any one use an anti-bacterial (aka a bacterial/viral) in line filter?  My wife and I have been using one for a while.  We have ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAPs.  I noticed that the standard filter that comes with the machine is worthless.  Nothing is collected on it.  The AB filter really gets dirty.

The problem I now have is that I am now using a heated hose that plugs directly into the exhaust so I can't place the filter there.  I have to place it between the end of the hose and the mask tubing.  The problem I am having with that is the AB filter fills with water.

Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anti-bacterial filter Bacterial/viral filter
A combination of reducing humidification and increasing tube temp.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
And if that isn't enough moisture reduction, maybe switching the humidifier from manual to auto mode may lessen the moisture output further, if room conditions are satisfactory. I'm going by my experience that auto mode humidity was far below my needs FWIW.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2018, 08:48 PM)sherryl10 Wrote: Does any one use an anti-bacterial (aka a bacterial/viral) in line filter?  My wife and I have been using one for a while.  We have ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAPs.  I noticed that the standard filter that comes with the machine is worthless.  Nothing is collected on it.  The AB filter really gets dirty.

The problem I now have is that I am now using a heated hose that plugs directly into the exhaust so I can't place the filter there.  I have to place it between the end of the hose and the mask tubing.  The problem I am having with that is the AB filter fills with water.

Any suggestions?

Get rid of it!

If you see the AB filter is getting really dirty, it is the problem.  That accumulation is mildew or mold that is growing on the filter medium in a moist warm environment.  Take it off!  There is nothing wrong with the filtered air from the CPAP. It is the same air you breathe all day.  But if you see a dark accumulation on the AB filter, that is a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with sleeprider, there is no need of bscterial filters and they can cause flow problems when they become wet. You mention anti-viral but these filters will not remove viruses.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes it is the same air you breath, but I found that a fine foam or paper filter didn't half stop a lot of dust particals on the inputs of my old machines, this one does not have one.  For anyone sensitive to pollen would find this filter useful.
The ResMed machine I have does not appear to have one.  Why did they omit this fine filter (or has it been left out on my machine?), it used to be very handy for the finer particles of dust, but you had to keep on top of it as it got dirty very quickly.  I liked the old fine foam filters as they could be washed, but the paper ones were a bit of a pest, and guess what, you couldn't get the paper one on their own, you had to buy a set of two!

As far a viruses are concerned they will get you during the day anyway, so you are more at risk of having one in the tube from mold and this is far more of a threat to you than most viruses, so I would agree with Sleeprider, get rid of it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep2Snore, On the ResMed you can replace the course filter with a fine filter. Of course you have to pay more for them.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2018, 07:36 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Sleep2Snore, On the ResMed you can replace the course filter with a fine filter. Of course you have to pay more for them.

The coarse one costs more, of course. Coffee

Now that I've thought about the optional bacterial filter that's being discussed here, I personally can't justify use or expense for myself. A biggie for me is cost. Secondly, I don't want an optional item that could possibly reduce or modify pressure to the mask. Thirdly, IMO the standard filter is OK with me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a side note to the hypoallergenic filter. . . They also restrict air flow more than the normal filter, thus making the CPAP work a little harder to produce the same flow/pressure. This results in the CPAP operating a little louder.  No biggie, but if you are sound sensitive then it may be a consideration.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2018, 05:10 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: ...
The ResMed machine I have does not appear to have one.  Why did they omit this fine filter (or has it been left out on my machine?), it used to be very handy for the finer particles of dust, but you had to keep on top of it as it got dirty very quickly. ...

Just checking...You do know that there is a filter, and where to find it?

(not my video)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,874 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,181 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 909 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT
  AirSense 10 & 11 filter comparison ejbpesca 0 819 02-21-2023, 05:02 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.