Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Antivirus software choices
Yeah, that's the hard part, teaching them what NOT to do!
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Friends don't let friends use Windows...

I use Linux primarily and don't need anti-virus software for the most part. Never had a virus problem at all with Linux.. it just work.s.s.s leiw08wlhfui&&HRH#IDLV DFIIDFODF*#E*ODO SPAMs F)SDOJ VIRUS FOUND ALERT KAKSHJJDL. strncpy(names[0], &RevcBuf[1], 20);
cout << "THE NAME IS :: << names[0] << endl; /(Console Output)
THE NAME IS :: h, 2006 EF CONE (︶︹︺) DEs virus virii founds SsAR ಠ_ಠ ㋡㋡㋡ Press cont-alt-del to spread virus.... or not. slashdot/. end of line. insert computer code. Shall we play a game? How about a nice game of tic-tac-toe?
̿̿̿ ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
on second thought, maybe I should've gotten them a typewriter.
[/quote]

lol yea, but not nearly as fun!!Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply

Wanted to mention this:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I've used HouseCall on several occasions in the past to get through some tough bugs. It's a good way to get a quick second opinion when your go-to virus program says nothing's wrong.

SS, I completely agree and that's one of the reasons I gave Linux to my parents. One of the challenges with Windows is that a virus can touch just about any part of the system and you never know if you truly got everything out or if something's still hiding somewhere. In a worst case scenario with Linux, you can just delete the user's home directory and have a higher degree of confidence that the rest of the system was not compromised. It makes maintenance so much easier... and there's no registry to boot!

I'm so glad the days are gone when viruses were fixed this way:
A:\> FORMAT C:
A:\> FDISK /MBR
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Paula, AVG is a good choice for system protection but don’t know why its annoying you. Anyways, if you have decided to go for a replacement then you can choose Bitdefender or Immunet Plus. Both of these tools provide complete protection against malicious malware and is available in both free as well as paid versions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered going to your internet provider? Charter offers a "free" Internet Security Suite offering firewall, anti virus, etc. Theirs is an F-Secure product.
Post Reply Post Reply

(09-12-2013, 10:50 PM)me50 Wrote: on second thought, maybe I should've gotten them a typewriter.

lol yea, but not nearly as fun!!Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
[/quote]

I still have two typewriters - IBM Selectric II and an old Smith Reed portable (both of which I still use). Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
I've used Norton for years. We used it inside a SCIF (Secure Compartmentalized Information Facility). Over the years, they add more "gee whiz" bloatware to it as machines get more powerful.
We also got an annual defensive computer security briefing.

Bitdefender seems to be getting a good reputation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2013, 01:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: "Anti stupid people" - I love it! LOL Now, if only I could carry one in my pocket or as a badge on my shirt. It could repel all the stupid people around me.
Paula be careful with the anti-shirt, what if it scooted away from you everytime you tried to put it on. ONLY teasing, i know you have a good sense of humor.

I'm a retired computer teacher. I have tried all the anti-virus programs out there, I also still do a lot of consulting since retirement. One thing i notice is that most of the big names-pay for ones really slow your computer down. Now if they were superior that might be ok, but i've seen too many times when they all let something nasty into your computer.

I used to love the free version of AVG. I've never had it let me down, but lately they make it confusing and it's too easy to switch to the pay for version without knowing it. THEN your computer slows down. Also AVG is getting really bad about installing extra tool bars and taking over your search capability. I've worked on computer that had so many toolbars that there was no room to actually see where you are. I would uninstall Bing, Ask, Yahoo....all of them. They just slow you down and take up important room on your screen.

Lately i've been using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to be working fairly well without too many annoyances. If you surf the internet long enough, you will eventually end up with something that your antivirus software doesn't catch.

When/if that happens you may have to temporarily use one of the other free programs to get rid of it, like Malwarebytes or Spybot. They have free versions. Sad but there is no one single thing that protects you from all the bad in the world.

Post Reply Post Reply

Norton Internet Security has worked fine for me for years, and isn't a resource hog at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antivirus software recommendations/Imac 49er 2 465 01-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Last Post: 49er