Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Sex: Male

RE: Antivirus software choices
I'm still using AVG Free - I'm pretty good at shooting down their attempts to get me to demo/buy the "pay" version. Pretty good at turning down unwanted toolbars too (the only toolbar I have is Google and the only tools/buttons I have on it are search, Google Earth, pop-up blocker, spell check and translator).

I used to use ZoneAlarm free for a firewall, but had to get rid of it because it wouldn't let me update without taking their toolbar and the toolbar caused problems with Adobe files. I now use Comodo free firewall and am pleased with it.

I also use SpyBot S&D and run a deep scan with A2 every couple of months or so and have a BitMeter floating on my desktop and stay on the lookout for any unusual UL/DL activity.

I'm pretty pleased with this combo and have never had a problem.

Whenever I need something or want to get rid of something and try something new, I usually just go to C-Net and check out the top rated free offerings that aren't just limited trial versions.
11-23-2013 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I'll probably be going with Bitdefender when my term with AVG is up. I've never gotten a virus with them but I'm not liking the company very much.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-23-2013 07:14 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

When I worked tech support we had a lot of problems with AVG and program updates. It would block the update even when you told it was a good file. Norton used to treat one of the log files as a virus and try to delete it and the file that created it - put the program exe into quarantine and not let you take it back out. Needless to say we were quite upset with Norton and they finally fixed their program.
11-24-2013 02:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
drgrimes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Resmed Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Philips Dreamwear
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

I've learned to not fall in or out of love with any anti-virus. Sooner or later they all let you down. Yes, I wish there was ONE that would take care of everything. I've worked with computers since the DOS days and I wish there was one product that I could recommend to people. Sad thing is, no matter which one you use, sooner or later you will get bitten, especially if you go to the dark side of the internet.

Be careful what you click on. The internet revolves around money. Sometimes the bad guys disguise themselves as Microsoft, or someone trying to help you. It's an easy innocent mistake to make, but once you let them in, things go bad quickly. Be careful with things that pop up on your computer saying "you have a problem", "click here to fix it". Shut your computer down, restart and hopefully it didn't get you. Talk to someone, NOT on the internet, for advice. OR ask on this forum.
11-24-2013 07:56 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

There's a wonderful software called Ammyy. You install it on, say your laptop and your desktop. You can then access your desktop with your laptop from anywhere, as long as the desktop is on. The first time you use it, though, you have to give it permission, know the code, etc. I use it all the time and love it. I can work from anywhere and be able to access my files at home. Awesome.

There's a huge scam where folks get calls or emails from people telling them they are from Microsoft and they've detected through the malware detector that they have a virus. They can install Ammyy, give them permission, and they can remove it for them. Sounds good right? Huge scam. People fall for it all the time.

As for the antivirus, I am very loyal to software I use. I am picky and research a lot before I settle on one. I've had AVG for a long time but they've burned me for the last time.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-24-2013 10:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Got one of those "virus" calls the other day that I accidentally answered. The spoofed number was a company I do business with. I strung the guy along for about 15 minutes before I finally told him "Maybe this isn't working because I'm on a Mac?" Got a string of 4 letter words as he hung up. When I want to I can make dirt look like a genius. I was an flight instructor in the AF and used to have a great time playing student for a new instructor candidate.

For remote access I have had good luck with Log Me In (which we also used when I was doing support). Still run Bitdefender and MacScan on my Mac even though the OS is virus resistant.
11-25-2013 12:53 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

I finally got around to getting a new firewall/antivirus. I got BitDefender's Sphere.

The main reason I wanted to get rid of AVG is it has become a memory hog. Of the processes running below, 3 should not be.

My email client was off. AVG support could never answer me as to why it continues to run. It always has 10K memory running then I stop the process, it restarts, then only has 4K. The Identity Protection and the Online things are both turned off in the UI. I've never used them. Again, AVG support could never tell me why they are still running. I don't want them to run. At times, the Identity one has had over 50k of memory and I not have browser or email client open.

[Image: avg-processesb.jpg]

This is what BitDefender is running. Brand new, still got all sorts of stuff turned on until I figure it out. Two processes. That's all.

[Image: bitdefender.jpg]

Right out of the "box", I was immediately unhappy, though. Without explanation, a popup came up, asking me why I was uninstalling something. It took me a few seconds to figure out what was uninstalling. BitDefender apparently can't play with SpyBot S&D. And I'm not too fond of the "We'll take care of everything for you" mentality of the software. No, you won't. There's some programs (especially games) I want to interact with the internet once then never again.

But I do like how it is set up. Very intuitive so far. Easy to get around the guts of it. Still learning. The Sphere version was for 3 user unlimited devices so I can install it on our phones and tablet. No information in the email or in the download on how to do that, though. So on the one hand, "Here, we will do it for you" but on the other "You're smart, figure it out yourself". Sigh.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-03-2014 02:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

BitDefender gives its processes names that don't start with 'bd' so initially it looked like they only had 2 processes running. I knew that couldn't be true when I was running the scan and the two I knew about hadn't changed. Even when I found them all, they still are less than half of what AVG was gobbling.

[Image: bitdefenderb.jpg]

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-03-2014 07:05 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Makes me glad I'm a recovering Windows user....

"Hi, my name is SuperSleeper and I'm a recovering Windows user" Mornincoffee

But I guess if you have apps that only run on Windows, 'ya got no choice, you're in Windows prison. Eat-popcorn

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-03-2014 07:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Eh, I've considered going Linux or even Mac but I just don't feel like bothering. I'm rather set in my ways when it comes to computers. Besides, I'd have to find something new to complain about and you're next.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-04-2014 03:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Antivirus software recommendations/Imac 49er 2 401 01-12-2016 04:31 AM
Last Post: 49er