Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Antivirus software recommendations/Imac
So far, I have tried Avast, AVG, and Alvira and they all moderately slow my internet speed down. As an FYI, I did a test without any AV software and my speed was quite fast. But obviously, that isn't a good solution.

I also tried ClamXav and it hung forever when trying to update the program. This happened twice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

49er
01-11-2016 01:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

RE: Antivirus software recommendations/Imac
Avast free if you don't want to mess with it much. Note that Avast Free doesn't have a firewall, so you use the MS firewall.

Comodo Internet Security Free (CIS) if you want more control and/or are a geek. Much more configurable, much more control, but you may need to answer more questions. If you just suggested the recommended answer, you'll probably be about as good as the other antivirus programs that don't ask all the questions.

CIS does have its own firewall. Very good for letting you know when a program is trying to phone home. A lot of programs phone home a lot. Some have no business doing so, some are doing legitimate checks for updates, some are probably being nefarious.

CIS also has some other tools to let you have even more strict security controls.

Whichever of the above ones you use, also download malwarebytes free and keep it updated. It doesn't run real time or automatically, so it doesn't slow you down. You can run it against a suspicious file or manually run it occasionally.

Malwarebytes is especially good at removing malware that has already gotten installed.

With any downloaded program, even these, watch out to not get optional "free trial" versions, toolbars, etc. Do the "advanced install" if offered, and read every screen for things you have to uncheck so you don't get toolbars, change your home page, get Norton antivirus, etc.

Also watch out for phony download sites. Even if "xyz_utilities" is legitimate, there are probably web sites out there that offer download, but it's a hacked version with malware.

download.com is a good place to find legitimate programs of all kinds, but download.com has gotten bad about adding "helpful" installers, or having ads with squirrely download buttons. I usually go to download.com to search for legitimate programs and then follow the links on download.com to find my way to the real web site for the company that wrote the program.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-11-2016 07:17 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Antivirus software recommendations/Imac
Thanks archangle for a helpful reply. After I posted my message, the problem seems to have disappeared. I had called Verizon last week about lowering my costs and got a wonderful customer service rep who greatly lowered them due to a promotion deal with increased speed. Wasn't expecting it to take effect until later this week but I am wondering if it already has. Smile

So right now, I will leave everything alone. But I will save your message in case my needs change down the road.

Oh and I do have malwarebytes but thanks for that suggestion.

49er
01-12-2016 04:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Recommendations? att compatible tablet Mark Douglas 12 1,228 06-25-2015 06:47 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  Antivirus software choices PaulaO2 30 6,090 03-04-2014 09:53 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper