Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anxiety when putting on mask
Angry 
Anxiety when putting on mask
Started about 3 days ago. Turns out I'm Covid positive. Everytime i try to put the mask on I have to pee or feel cotton mouthed or need to swallow or something. Cannot get comfortable. In past it usually means something mechanically wrong w machine. Had simila anxiety issues in beginning and really don't remember how I beat them. That was Oct 2018. Not sure an anxiety med is an option right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anxiety when putting on mask
You mention Covid -- do you think this current problem is Covid-related? For example, is your breathing more uncomfortable, or your nose more blocked, even without the mask? You also mentioned earlier mechanical problems -- are you sure that you don't have a mechanical problem now? What pressure settings are you using? Are you able to tolerate the machine when you're not trying to sleep?

Do you have a general mask anxiety? I've certainly been in a situation where I feared that the mask coming down was the last thing I'd ever see, so I can understand why they unnerve people. I've not hugely keen myself, to be honest.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to make an assumption based on what you've told us. You're having mask anxiety now, but it began in 2018. Conclusion you've not beat it yet.

I had some amount of mask and PAP therapy issues in the beginning because it was thrown at me with no doctor support. Here's my solution, sit in the recliner or other comfortable chair. Your full PAP and mask is with you as if you're going to sleep, but you're not. You will sit there with mask on and PAP running your sleep settings for at least 30 minutes session 1. Session 2, try to double the time from the last. You will sit there, breathing normally, not fast. You can watch a movie, TV or reading or listening to the radio or whatever.

Try this for a week, again each time increasing the duration. Do not cheat with Ramp or turning it off then on to avoid higher pressures. Turn the PAP on and let it run.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
spike9276 welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you asked this question. The responses help me too. Thank you!
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 214 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 718 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 403 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 724 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  More tired, more irritability/anxiety after cpap use Itsmedood 3 606 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Itsmedood
  Tons of CA events due to anxiety? jasonw 8 775 06-02-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.