Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
RE: Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
(01-04-2014, 02:20 AM)worthog Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:26 PM)Gabby Wrote: I am about to start using a Resmed S9 machine and I was told by a nurse at the sleep clinic and a lady on the telephone from a Sleep Disorders Group, that I didn't need a humidifier.
I don't know whether to get the Humidifer now and have it ready with the machine or give it a go first without and see how I go.
I notice the majority of people here all use humidifiers.
Are there any out there that get by without a humidifier? Would love to hear what you think, to humidify or not to humidify?

Hi Gabby
I too live on the Sunshine Coast and at the moment I dont use the humidifier. However when it cools down I will start using it again. Suggest you purchase it, then you can use it when you need too. Its too humid at the moment for the need of it.

As Zonk says, its what you get use to and now I am use to using Cpap without the humidifier.

Good luck
Cheers Fellow Sunshine Coaster, thanks for your advice. I have decided to get the equipment, it is the voice of the majority. I was just thrown by those two women. I'm not anymore. I trust everyone explicitly. It is good hearing from someone that is living in my climate. Hope it's a bit cooler tomorrow.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2014, 08:03 PM)Steve lowe Wrote: I think silly things like whist if my relation ship breaks down an I become single again and I meet someone and when we become intimate I have to day sorry I need to put my mask on now!!!! I feel so down about it I am embarrassed about it an hate my partner looking at me while I have it on.

First of all, this kind of thinking is very common for many of us. One poster described it as his brain running down rabbit holes. It's a consequence of the long term sleep deprivation associated with sleep apnea. In extreme cases people have been known to go insane and end up homeless.

It does get better. A lot better.

You're experiencing mental errors.

Your CPAP mask is a medical device. It's evidence that you're not a normal person. A normal person can do four things: eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, and have sex. We can't sleep without the aid of a medical device, so we're not normal.

Get over it!

We're not children. We're adults. Other people are better off than we are, but many many others are worse off. Some much much worse off.

Your wife sees your CPAP machine and mask as nothing more unusual than a special pillow you might have acquired because you thought it would help you sleep better.

I know all this because I felt the same way. When I traveled I would keep my CPAP stuff separate from my other sleep stuff like an eye mask or ear plugs for those noisy hotel rooms with drapes that let the morning light come in.

Now I put all my sleep stuff together. The CPAP machine, hose, and mask are just normal stuff I need to sleep. Like a bed, a pillow, a blanket, a book, and a glass of water.

Would you be afraid to let a new sleeping partner see you need an extra blanket because you're a too-cold whiny baby? No, you wouldn't, because an extra blanket is just something you need to keep warm. And a CPAP machine is just something you need to breathe.

If you want to sleep cold don't use a blanket. If you want to stop breathing in your sleep don't use a CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2014, 08:03 PM)Steve lowe Wrote:
(12-31-2013, 08:43 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-31-2013, 07:12 AM)Steve lowe Wrote: Hello I am just realising that there is a cost/insurance issue I am in England so all this is free for us. If I had to pay for it then that puts a different spin on it. Could you "try before you buy"? Option. I would definitely try one first before you have to purchase it. If your insurance will pay for it, get one and if you font like it you could pass it on to a fellow apnea sufferer at a discount!
Thanks Steve, but I have decided to go ahead and buy one now. That is good that it is all free for you in England. I am able to get the cpap machine from the Govt., but have to buy the rest of the gear, but I consider myself very fortunate with that deal.
I was reading your post further up and feel bad for you hating your diagnosis so much.
If you have any concerns or questions make sure you ask the questions on the forum because everyone here is only too eager to put your mind at ease and give you the best possible advice. They have been absolutely great to me.
I am sure once you are used to everything, you will feel better. Do you mind me asking, are you quite young? You don't have to answer that. Also just wondering what your AHI was, if you cared to share?
I wish you all the very best for 2014.

Hi sorry for delay! Xmas and all that. I was 39 when I was diagnosed and before that I used to wake up with my head pounding like I had slept upside down and it was awful, I had no energy ANC was falling asleep all the time, it caused real friction at home as you get labeled lazy. My AHI was 48 but that was only cause my mask was not on properly it would have been higher. Like I said it really affected me and still does as I don't know if this forever now or not.
I think silly things like whist if my relation ship breaks down an I become single again and I meet someone and when we become intimate I have to day sorry I need to put my mask on now!!!! I feel so down about it I am embarrassed about it an hate my partner looking at me while I have it on. She says it doesn't bother her but I think it does and that affects my confidence as well. I feel worse when sometimes I take it off in the middle of the night and fall back asleep without it and wake up terrible with the headaches back and feel rough for a couple of days. Is this going to be forever???? Do people get better?? Hope your ok thanks for listening . Steve
Steve, I wish I could answer all your questions but I am a new comer and haven't even started treatment. I feel sorry for you having all these concerns going on in your head.
Now this is my own personal opinion as I have been through times like this when I have had negative thoughts whizzing through my head day and night about all kinds of things, but I would kindly suggest if you are not already, perhaps talking to a therapist/psychologist, I hope you won't be offended by me suggesting this but sometimes to talk with someone completely outside the box from your ever day life, and someone professional, they can help you sort these tear away, negative thoughts out.
I hope you do not take my suggestion the wrong way, I am just trying to find you some help as you sound quite upset to me.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you are faring.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2014, 08:03 PM)Steve lowe Wrote:
(12-31-2013, 08:43 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-31-2013, 07:12 AM)Steve lowe Wrote: Hello I am just realising that there is a cost/insurance issue I am in England so all this is free for us. If I had to pay for it then that puts a different spin on it. Could you "try before you buy"? Option. I would definitely try one first before you have to purchase it. If your insurance will pay for it, get one and if you font like it you could pass it on to a fellow apnea sufferer at a discount!
Thanks Steve, but I have decided to go ahead and buy one now. That is good that it is all free for you in England. I am able to get the cpap machine from the Govt., but have to buy the rest of the gear, but I consider myself very fortunate with that deal.
I was reading your post further up and feel bad for you hating your diagnosis so much.
If you have any concerns or questions make sure you ask the questions on the forum because everyone here is only too eager to put your mind at ease and give you the best possible advice. They have been absolutely great to me.
I am sure once you are used to everything, you will feel better. Do you mind me asking, are you quite young? You don't have to answer that. Also just wondering what your AHI was, if you cared to share?
I wish you all the very best for 2014.

Hi sorry for delay! Xmas and all that. I was 39 when I was diagnosed and before that I used to wake up with my head pounding like I had slept upside down and it was awful, I had no energy ANC was falling asleep all the time, it caused real friction at home as you get labeled lazy. My AHI was 48 but that was only cause my mask was not on properly it would have been higher. Like I said it really affected me and still does as I don't know if this forever now or not.
I think silly things like whist if my relation ship breaks down an I become single again and I meet someone and when we become intimate I have to day sorry I need to put my mask on now!!!! I feel so down about it I am embarrassed about it an hate my partner looking at me while I have it on. She says it doesn't bother her but I think it does and that affects my confidence as well. I feel worse when sometimes I take it off in the middle of the night and fall back asleep without it and wake up terrible with the headaches back and feel rough for a couple of days. Is this going to be forever???? Do people get better?? Hope your ok thanks for listening . Steve

well, if that did happen and you met someone and knew that the 2 of you wanted to go to the next level and that person didn't accept that you are using a machine to stay alive, then I say it is time to end it before it goes on any further. excuse my bluntness but, caring about/loving someone is accepting them for who they are....that means when they snore, when they burp, when they fart, when they wear a mask to stay alive so they can enjoy life and obviously, the mask bothers you more than it does your wife.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a humidifier on mine and sleep comfortable with it. To each his/her own
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed airsense 10 auto set and I don't use the
humidifier. My dealer set t up so that the heat setting was set to zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I traverse around this continent using my Galactic Speedster, I use the humidifier to my ?PAP device as the humidity warrants.

When I navigate through areas where the natural atmospheric humidity is relatively low, I put the tank in and fill it to the limit with Belverder Vodka. Then I crank up the heater, toss on my mask and snort my beverage with every inspiration! When I awake, it's as if I've been enjoying a fine beverage all evening!

When I'm in areas of the continent where the natural atmospheric humidity is relatively high, the tank comes out of the ?PAP and goes into a very large sealable plastic bag and the ?PAP is fitted with a side plate that does not have a tank. Of course, I thoroughly miss my nightly hallucinations from not inhaling those wonderful vapors of the Belverder Vodka.

I can hardly wait until the natural humidity is once again low enough that I can once again use my humidifier! [Image: dsTOX9r.gif]

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, my humidifier extends beyond a comfort item to deal with occasional dry mouth and nosebleeds etc., but I noticed that I have more resistance to spousal colds.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Man, these Zombie threads are killing me!

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-22-2016, 07:47 PM)sherryl10 Wrote: I have a Resmed airsense 10 auto set and I don't use the
humidifier. My dealer set t up so that the heat setting was set to zero.

Even with the heater off, as long as you put water in the tank, you are getting some humidification (called pass over humidification).

In my experience, it's very rare to find a user who doesn't use humidification. When running on battery power most people turn the heater off and do only pass over because the heater eats up the battery energy faster than anything else.

Personally I use it. But I don't like to pre-heat, and I don't like to use a heated hose, so I just set my heater to the highest setting possible that doesn't give me rain out (condensation in the hose and mask).

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 351,987 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,156 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 552 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,712 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,234 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
Smile An AWARD for FFM users with 0% leaks sleepyzzz 9 923 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  BMC CPAP Machine - Any users? aktmdn 7 884 07-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.