Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
I am about to start using a Resmed S9 machine and I was told by a nurse at the sleep clinic and a lady on the telephone from a Sleep Disorders Group, that I didn't need a humidifier.
I don't know whether to get the Humidifer now and have it ready with the machine or give it a go first without and see how I go.
I notice the majority of people here all use humidifiers.
Are there any out there that get by without a humidifier? Would love to hear what you think, to humidify or not to humidify?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
Hi Gabby,
I use the humidifier.
Before I started using CPAP, I got nosebleeds pretty often, particularly during the winter months, because we have forced-air heat and it's very dry and hard on the lining of my nose. Since I have been using CPAP, I don't have a problem with nose bleeds any more.
Of course, YMMV.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and I'm glad to hear you got a machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:26 PM)Gabby Wrote: I am about to start using a Resmed S9 machine and I was told by a nurse at the sleep clinic and a lady on the telephone from a Sleep Disorders Group, that I didn't need a humidifier.
She cannot tell you such thing, everyone is different and every nose is different

Other people preference is not relevant to you at all, get the humidifier and experiment with different settings, basically its matter of trial and error to find your optimum setting but that also can vary from night to night and season to season

If you decided on the humidifier, check suppliers #2 and # 10, both have no problem shipping outside US and very popular among Aussies CPAP users. Supplier #10 also sell mask parts and other accessories, usually I get a year supplies to save on shipping costs
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if you can get the humidifier covered by insurance, I'd go for it. Better to have it and not need it than...you know the rest. I have a humidifier, because I didn't sleep well during my studies so I just got the cadillac option (bipap auto with humidifier). I've been meaning to try sleeping without it, but I've just recently got all my settings dialed in to where I sleep very well every night and I don't want to mess with it right now. I'd imagine it would depend on a lot of factors -- how sensitive your airway is, whether you're sleeping in a dry or humid environment, that sort of thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello I have only joined this group today I have been using Cpap for 12 months and was offered a humidifier 9 months ago as I was complaining of dry mouth I used it a couple of times and really did not like it at all it felt like warm/hot steam mixed with the rubbery smell from the silicon nose piece anyway I really didn't like the damp warm air that was entering my nose under pressure and removed it. It didn't take long for my mouth to adjust to the machine yet I still do suffer from dry mouth now and again. But my personal opinion is try and do without. But give it a try anyway and see what you think you can always remove it as it just clips on to the side of Cpap machine. I hope this has helped a little it is my first post/response like I said I only joined 30 minutes ago
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a humidifier and I am glad that I do. It is dry here where we live. In the US, the humidifier isn't very expensive so I didn't mind getting it and my insurance paid 100% of the cost.

If money is a concern, I suppose you can try to see how it is without a humidifier and then buy one if you feel you need it. If your weather is such that you might need a humidifier, maybe a humidifier that is a stand alone that you can use in your room and would help all that sleep there, including pets.

It is hard to say what you might need because what bothers me may not bother you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Steve,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on this poll "Do you use a humidifier?"
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...humidifier

93.75% said yes
6.25% said no
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:48 PM)Steve lowe Wrote: Hello I have only joined this group today I have been using Cpap for 12 months and was offered a humidifier 9 months ago as I was complaining of dry mouth I used it a couple of times and really did not like it at all it felt like warm/hot steam mixed with the rubbery smell from the silicon nose piece anyway I really didn't like the damp warm air that was entering my nose under pressure and removed it. It didn't take long for my mouth to adjust to the machine yet I still do suffer from dry mouth now and again. But my personal opinion is try and do without. But give it a try anyway and see what you think you can always remove it as it just clips on to the side of Cpap machine. I hope this has helped a little it is my first post/response like I said I only joined 30 minutes ago

Welcom Steve, I feel privileged that I am the first person you have commented to.
I am a fairly new member and this Forum has been so welcoming and helpful, I am sure you will find it the same.
Thanks for your opinion on going without. This is all so new to me and I am thinking should I go one step at a time? Or just jump in boots and all!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:49 PM)me50 Wrote: I have a humidifier and I am glad that I do. It is dry here where we live. In the US, the humidifier isn't very expensive so I didn't mind getting it and my insurance paid 100% of the cost.

It is hard to say what you might need because what bothers me may not bother you.

Me50, no money is not the problem here, I was just wondering after those two women said that to me. What does weather have to do with it? I live in a quite warm climate that gets very humid in the Summer months.
After Zonk has printed the stats, I will probably go with the humidifier. Can't go against the majority.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,091 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,156 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 554 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,715 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,245 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
Smile An AWARD for FFM users with 0% leaks sleepyzzz 9 924 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  BMC CPAP Machine - Any users? aktmdn 7 886 07-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.