Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
RE: Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
(12-30-2013, 09:45 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:26 PM)Gabby Wrote: I am about to start using a Resmed S9 machine and I was told by a nurse at the sleep clinic and a lady on the telephone from a Sleep Disorders Group, that I didn't need a humidifier.
She cannot tell you such thing, everyone is different and every nose is different

Other people preference is not relevant to you at all, get the humidifier and experiment with different settings, basically its matter of trial and error to find your optimum setting but that also can vary from night to night and season to season

If you decided on the humidifier, check suppliers #2 and # 10, both have no problem shipping outside US and very popular among Aussies CPAP users. Supplier #10 also sell mask parts and other accessories, usually I get a year supplies to save on shipping costs

Zonk, thanks for printing the stats and I will probably go with the flow.
Thanks for the links. I know I have to get the humidifier and the Climateline heated hose, both sold separately, so I will see how much they are on your links and see what the difference is in Aust., which I am sure is going to be considerable. Meanwhile, could you please tell me what are all these mask parts and other accessories that I will be looking at buying on a regular basis?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
If the air in your bedroom is not dry, you'll not have to rely on the humidifier as much.

If you live in a warm humid climate like I do, you likely have air conditioning. Air conditioners remove a lot of moisture from the air.

In the winter time our air gets much drier and we run a humidifier in the bedroom. It helps with my wife's cough and snoring, which in turn helps me get a better night's sleep. Smile

By the way, almost everyone who has a CPAP machine has a humidifier for it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Like the others have said, it's more of a personal thing. For a supplier or RT to say you won't need one is kinda odd. Unless you live in the tropics where the air is humid year round (so humid it drips), then you will need a humidifier.

Some people don't. The Grand Poobah of ApneaBoard (SuperSleeper) doesn't use one.

I live in the US South and only use it in the winter when we have the wood heat on which makes the air very dry. For example, right now my home office is 30% humidity. In the summer, I put water in the tub but do not turn on the heat. This is called "passover" or "passive" humidification.

The Climateline hose is to prevent "rainout". Rainout is when the air in the hose is warmer than the air in the room so the water condenses inside the hose. It will then settle in a low spot and start making an obnoxious noise. If your bedroom is warm, then you may not need one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gabby, because Queenslands humidity is very high, maybe try without it for a start and see how you go, in Victoria, we have a dry heat so we proabably need one more, I friend of mine who is in a similar position to you financially, has tried the Elite without the humidifier and say it is fine. He started without it so doesnt know any different, I started with it so probably would feel a difference if I discontinued using mine.

Just on all the parts you will need, in Australia, because equipment is so expensive we normally make it last.
If you clean your equipment you should get 2-3 years out of most parts.
In the US, they get their equipment for free and change regularly.
My first mask and parts last 2.5 years and I only changed because a new model came out and I wanted to try it.
I have had my hose for coming you to 3 years.
Wwe can give you more cleaning tips when you get your equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 01:16 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Gabby, because Queenslands humidity is very high, maybe try without it for a start and see how you go, in Victoria, we have a dry heat so we proabably need one more, I friend of mine who is in a similar position to you financially, has tried the Elite without the humidifier and say it is fine. He started without it so doesnt know any different, I started with it so probably would feel a difference if I discontinued using mine.

Just on all the parts you will need, in Australia, because equipment is so expensive we normally make it last.
My first mask and parts last 2.5 years and I only changed because a new model came out and I wanted to try it.

Most of us in the US don't get our equipment and supplies free.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I worded that badly, Gabby doesn't have any insurance and people here with insurance only get 20% back on their CPAP and nothing on equipment, my understanding is people in the US with insurance get regular replacements of equipment, sorry for wording incorrectly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 10:52 PM)Gabby Wrote: Meanwhile, could you please tell me what are all these mask parts and other accessories that I will be looking at buying on a regular basis?
I've been using the same mask for almost 3 years, some cannot wait to try a new mask as soon as hit the shelf

I replace mask cushion on regular basis about 3 months tops, I know the time to change it when start to leak into my eyes. I wash mask each day which helps keep it clean and wash away skin oil. The other parts ... headgear, chinstrap, hoses, water tank, filters
I like to have spares, it cost me less than dollar a day, its a bargain considering about $4 cost of a cup coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 03:48 AM)zonk Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 10:52 PM)Gabby Wrote: Meanwhile, could you please tell me what are all these mask parts and other accessories that I will be looking at buying on a regular basis?
I've been using the same mask for almost 3 years, some cannot wait to try a new mask as soon as hit the shelf

I replace mask cushion on regular basis about 3 months tops, I know the time to change it when start to leak into my eyes. I wash mask each day which helps keep it clean and wash away skin oil. The other parts ... headgear, chinstrap, hoses, water tank, filters
I like to have spares, it cost me less than dollar a day, its a bargain considering about $4 cost of a cup coffee
Oh my goodness, I can see this is only the beginning. I have so much to learn about it all.Oh-jeez
I have found a heated Climateline hose on eBay for $50 and $12 shipping from U.S., so am happy with that price. Also looks like I have sourced the Humidifier from there as well for about the same price as #10 supplier. I am great at finding a bargain on eBay, and feel at home there.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 01:16 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Gabby, because Queenslands humidity is very high, maybe try without it for a start and see how you go, in Victoria, we have a dry heat so we proabably need one more, I friend of mine who is in a similar position to you financially, has tried the Elite without the humidifier and say it is fine. He started without it so doesnt know any different, I started with it so probably would feel a difference if I discontinued using mine.

Cheers Tez, I see I have it all in front of me. I have been doing my homework and have found some good deals on my humidifier and hose, so am already to purchase. Maybe the nurse at the sleep clinic meant I didn't need the machine because of our humidity up here, I don't know why she said it, but she definitely said the humidifiers weren't necessary. So I just thought well if it is one less piece of equipment that I don't have to be mucking around with, fare enough. Then I noticed here that everyone uses them.
I really appreciate you explaining the way we do things over here to the overseas posters for me, you and Zonk, thanks very much for that.
Happy New Year to you and yours!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 12:43 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Like the others have said, it's more of a personal thing. For a supplier or RT to say you won't need one is kinda odd. Unless you live in the tropics where the air is humid year round (so humid it drips), then you will need a humidifier.

Some people don't. The Grand Poobah of ApneaBoard (SuperSleeper) doesn't use one.

I live in the US South and only use it in the winter when we have the wood heat on which makes the air very dry. For example, right now my home office is 30% humidity. In the summer, I put water in the tub but do not turn on the heat. This is called "passover" or "passive" humidification.

The Climateline hose is to prevent "rainout". Rainout is when the air in the hose is warmer than the air in the room so the water condenses inside the hose. It will then settle in a low spot and start making an obnoxious noise. If your bedroom is warm, then you may not need one.
Paula, thank you very much for your advice. I think I have all but decided I will be getting the humidifier. Where I live it does get very humid in January, February, but the rest of the year it is not too bad, definitely not dripping.
Everyone has been very good advising me and I have taken everyone's advice on board. I am going ahead and purchasing all that is needed, after all it is all for my comfort and to make my life as comfortable as possible.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,161 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,157 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 556 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,715 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,246 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
Smile An AWARD for FFM users with 0% leaks sleepyzzz 9 924 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  BMC CPAP Machine - Any users? aktmdn 7 886 07-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.