Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
RE: Any CPAP users that don't use humidifiers. To use or not?
(12-31-2013, 12:12 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If the air in your bedroom is not dry, you'll not have to rely on the humidifier as much.

If you live in a warm humid climate like I do, you likely have air conditioning. Air conditioners remove a lot of moisture from the air.

In the winter time our air gets much drier and we run a humidifier in the bedroom. It helps with my wife's cough and snoring, which in turn helps me get a better night's sleep. Smile

By the way, almost everyone who has a CPAP machine has a humidifier for it.
Thanks for taking the time to answer me Sleepster. I have decided to go ahead and get the humidifier. As you said, almost everyone who has a C.P.A.P. machine has a humidifier, so why should I be any different?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby: Just wanted to throw in my two cents in here as I didn't see anyone else mention this: Should you be on a full face mask (FFM) like me because you tend to breathe through your mouth, you will need the humidifier. I've tried without it, but my mouth became much too dry.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:52 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Steve,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thank you very much I have been looking for something like this for a while now. I was diagnosed last December and was devastated!! I still think it has depressed me a little now. Just the thought of using Cpap forever is deporessing. Anyhow I have found this forum now and hopefully with more information help and support things will hopefully improve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 10:32 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:48 PM)Steve lowe Wrote: Hello I have only joined this group today I have been using Cpap for 12 months and was offered a humidifier 9 months ago as I was complaining of dry mouth I used it a couple of times and really did not like it at all it felt like warm/hot steam mixed with the rubbery smell from the silicon nose piece anyway I really didn't like the damp warm air that was entering my nose under pressure and removed it. It didn't take long for my mouth to adjust to the machine yet I still do suffer from dry mouth now and again. But my personal opinion is try and do without. But give it a try anyway and see what you think you can always remove it as it just clips on to the side of Cpap machine. I hope this has helped a little it is my first post/response like I said I only joined 30 minutes ago

Welcom Steve, I feel privileged that I am the first person you have commented to.
I am a fairly new member and this Forum has been so welcoming and helpful, I am sure you will find it the same.
Thanks for your opinion on going without. This is all so new to me and I am thinking should I go one step at a time? Or just jump in boots and all!
Hello I am just realising that there is a cost/insurance issue I am in England so all this is free for us. If I had to pay for it then that puts a different spin on it. Could you "try before you buy"? Option. I would definitely try one first before you have to purchase it. If your insurance will pay for it, get one and if you font like it you could pass it on to a fellow apnea sufferer at a discount!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 06:52 AM)Airstream Wrote: Hi Gabby: Just wanted to throw in my two cents in here as I didn't see anyone else mention this: Should you be on a full face mask (FFM) like me because you tend to breathe through your mouth, you will need the humidifier. I've tried without it, but my mouth became much too dry.

Thanks Airstream, actually I jumped the gun when I said I breathed through my mouth. I just assumed that because I snored. Apparently that doesn't mean anything, so I don't know what sort of breather I am now. Hopefully after my titration study they will tell me.
I have decided to go ahead and get the humidifier now, as it seems to be majority rules, and I am not stupid, I trust the advice of all you experts, so humidifying is the way I shall go!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 07:12 AM)Steve lowe Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 10:32 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:48 PM)Steve lowe Wrote: Hello I have only joined this group today I have been using Cpap for 12 months and was offered a humidifier 9 months ago as I was complaining of dry mouth I used it a couple of times and really did not like it at all it felt like warm/hot steam mixed with the rubbery smell from the silicon nose piece anyway I really didn't like the damp warm air that was entering my nose under pressure and removed it. It didn't take long for my mouth to adjust to the machine yet I still do suffer from dry mouth now and again. But my personal opinion is try and do without. But give it a try anyway and see what you think you can always remove it as it just clips on to the side of Cpap machine. I hope this has helped a little it is my first post/response like I said I only joined 30 minutes ago

Welcom Steve, I feel privileged that I am the first person you have commented to.
I am a fairly new member and this Forum has been so welcoming and helpful, I am sure you will find it the same.
Thanks for your opinion on going without. This is all so new to me and I am thinking should I go one step at a time? Or just jump in boots and all!
Hello I am just realising that there is a cost/insurance issue I am in England so all this is free for us. If I had to pay for it then that puts a different spin on it. Could you "try before you buy"? Option. I would definitely try one first before you have to purchase it. If your insurance will pay for it, get one and if you font like it you could pass it on to a fellow apnea sufferer at a discount!
Thanks Steve, but I have decided to go ahead and buy one now. That is good that it is all free for you in England. I am able to get the cpap machine from the Govt., but have to buy the rest of the gear, but I consider myself very fortunate with that deal.
I was reading your post further up and feel bad for you hating your diagnosis so much.
If you have any concerns or questions make sure you ask the questions on the forum because everyone here is only too eager to put your mind at ease and give you the best possible advice. They have been absolutely great to me.
I am sure once you are used to everything, you will feel better. Do you mind me asking, are you quite young? You don't have to answer that. Also just wondering what your AHI was, if you cared to share?
I wish you all the very best for 2014.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 06:56 AM)Steve lowe Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:52 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Steve,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thank you very much I have been looking for something like this for a while now. I was diagnosed last December and was devastated!! I still think it has depressed me a little now. Just the thought of using Cpap forever is deporessing. Anyhow I have found this forum now and hopefully with more information help and support things will hopefully improve.
Hi Steve: I realize that being on CPAP therapy is a significant change from sleeping the way you are used to. It is for everyone. I also understand that it may be depressing at first, but hopefully not devastating. With time and a little perseverance, you will succeed. The biggest problem is getting a mask that works for you- then you are half way there. Also, you made the effort to search out this forum, so it is obvious you are going to make this work.
We, and I am talking about the members here, mostly field technical questions about these machines and associated devices. Many are very well versed in that. I am thankful they are here.
But, we often forget that in diagnosis and therapy there is also an emotional and psychological element as well. If it is of any consolation, many members are dealing with other illnesses, some of them serious, in addition to apnea. That, however, is not to diminish any depression you may be feeling at times. My hope is that you will not let this overly disrupt your life. It's all good. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Welcome to the Board Steve. We are glad you are here.

To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby,
That's great that you found a good deal on your humidifier and heated hose.
The way I look at your situation with the humidifier is, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not hav it, hope that makes sense.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 10:08 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Gabby,
That's great that you found a good deal on your humidifier and heated hose.
The way I look at your situation with the humidifier is, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not hav it, hope that makes sense.

Cheers Trish, It does make sense. Everyone here has been so good to me. You are all truly a great bunch, I feel so lucky to have found you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gabby,
I use a full face mask, no humidifier. That works for me fine. I live in Northern Calif. on the coast. I wouldn't say it's a humid
area, but it's not dry. I chose not to use it based on the fact that I saw quite a few references to ResMed machines getting
killed because of moisture getting into them from the humidifier somehow. Iirc it was the model 8 that this was happening to.
I didn't want to take a chance with my 9, so I didn't use it and found I didn't really need it. Saves a bit of hassle as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,407 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,160 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 557 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  New to CPAP - on week 4 of 6 week trial - Any Sefam S.Box users out there? Kingsway 14 1,720 07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: dbcpap
  WARNING to CPAP Users: PREPARE for the Unexpected - When the power goes out SuperSleeper 231 120,289 07-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: baffled
Smile An AWARD for FFM users with 0% leaks sleepyzzz 9 924 07-21-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: snorin2
  BMC CPAP Machine - Any users? aktmdn 7 890 07-18-2023, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.