Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any Significance?
Any Significance?
So... in my quest to stop mouth breathing I tried an experiment. I used a cervical collar for four days and taping for four days. (chin strap was totally ineffective)

The days I used the collar my AHI has been <.05 but I am mouth breathing a lot. Enough to make my mouth feel like a desert and my throat sore and I am snoring. Leak rate isn't horrible tho.

On the days I taped my AHI has been 1.8-ish. No snoring and no mouth breathing. No dry mouth and my chap-stick is intact from the night before. Leak rate is barely above the intentional rate.

I was surprised to see a lower AHI with all the mouth breathing. Is it really a bad thing?

Which way do I go?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any Significance?
Depending on the severity of leaks, the machine can have trouble detecting events that are easily recorded without the leaks. Also, if you found the tape disruptive to sleep, you may actually be having more CA and "sleep-wake-junk" type events. With events at less than 2 per hour, I would not chase events at the expense of comfort. Go with what works best for you and your rest.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any Significance?
(11-21-2016, 11:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Depending on the severity of leaks, the machine can have trouble detecting events that are easily recorded without the leaks. Also, if you found the tape disruptive to sleep, you may actually be having more CA and "sleep-wake-junk" type events. With events at less than 2 per hour, I would not chase events at the expense of comfort. Go with what works best for you and your rest.

Really no leaks to worry about with either method. Taping has virtually no leaks. Collar is just a bit over the intentional line. No CAs, but don't know what is SWJ and what isn't. I don't seem to have a huge amount of events around the time I wake up and go back to sleep.

Actually the tape is more comfortable, except if I want a drink of water! The dry mouth with the collar and the snoring is uncomfortable. And not good for my dental health either.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the amplitude of flow rate have significance? Clementine39 5 1,385 08-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Significance of Stage 3 Sleep HalfAsleep 6 1,455 08-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mrkdilkington
  [Treatment] Significance of Events Ed1101 3 1,727 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.