Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any Statistics/Maths Nerds out there? (SleepyHead)
RE: Any Statistics/Maths Nerds out there?
(06-30-2014, 03:04 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Solution
During the 1st session 95% of the time the readings were below 8. 95% of 3 hours is 2.85 hours.

During the 2nd session 95% of the time the readings were below 5. 95% of 4 hours is 3.8 hours.

During the 3rd session 95% of the time the readings were below 9. 95% of 2 hours is 1.9 hours.

So for 2.85 hours the readings were below 8.
For 3.8 hours the readings were below 5.
For 1.9 hours the readings were below 9.

2.85 + 3.8 + 1.9 = 8.55 hours, which is of course simply 95% of the total time of 9 hours.

lest you get swatted with a ruler again, you might wanna read this:

http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...de-to.html Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
This is one of those questions where you don't have enough data to get the true answer. I think we also need to think about what we use the number for.

What do we think 95th percentile means in terms of treating the patient? To me, it's sort of the highest pressure you had, while trying to throw out short term anomalous high readings.

What if you just assume the actual pressure was equal to the 95% pressure for each time period you have a 95th percentile for? Then calculate a 95th percentile for that data. At first glance, that sort of equates to the idea of "maximum with glitches in the data thrown out."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 07:17 PM)archangle Wrote: What if you just assume the actual pressure was equal to the 95% pressure for each time period you have a 95th percentile for? Then calculate a 95th percentile for that data.

I believe that's what the weighted average does. See Post #2.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2014, 07:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-30-2014, 07:17 PM)archangle Wrote: What if you just assume the actual pressure was equal to the 95% pressure for each time period you have a 95th percentile for? Then calculate a 95th percentile for that data.

I believe that's what the weighted average does. See Post #2.

No. For instance, a 4 hour session with a 95 percentile of 10, and a 4 hour session of 4 would yield 10 with this method, 7 with a weighted average.

Which one is more appropriate is the question. What are we trying to indicate with a 95th percentile?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any Statistics/Maths Nerds out there? (SleepyHead)
Thanks for breaking that down to a simple example robysue. that highlighted the difference extremely well Smile

I think the most "technically correct" answer (which was suggested over the other place) is to give a N.A. because it's not really possible to calculate. I need a lot more samples than just the 0, 50th and 95th percentiles, and max to pull a result from fitting a curve, even if I'm half kludging with a weighted average.

But it comes down to what users want to see there.

Maybe I can put a preference for the technically offended (like me) to barf abort the calculation when the data set is incomplete, or display a weighted average hack for those who don't care.

I do think it would be a bit annoying getting NA's everywhere if the card was left out for a night in the last week though :-/

I'm going to ask a sleep research Doc for advice on this topic..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Statistics page, changes to device settings area, FL always shows 0.00? DancesWithCats 1 282 01-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR Statistics Page SingingWolf 4 584 11-04-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
Question Change Statistics view default to Monthly instead of Standard? retro 4 563 10-06-2023, 07:45 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OXY DATA ON STATISTICS PAGE srlevine1 7 642 05-01-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Oscar CPAP Statistics - Therapy Efficacy Dataporter 2 734 02-26-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Dataporter
  (Feature Request) Add notes to bottom of Statistics Page B1Sailor 0 559 10-14-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  Missing statistics after updating OSCAR? breathestopbreathe 13 1,168 06-28-2022, 04:42 PM
Last Post: angiessa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.