Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Interpreting OSCAR Data and Next Steps
Help Interpreting OSCAR Data and Next Steps
Hi Apneaboard,
This is my first post and I'm a new member. I am a 42 yo male and have used CPAP for about 15 years. For most of that time I was on an old Resmed machine with a constant pressure of 9, but I would adjust it myself based on how I feel and seasons, etc.. I can't find a copy of my original sleep study from back then, but it was an OSA diagnosis, and honestly most of the doctors didn't know much about it during that time. I did "pretty good" on the old machine, and felt a little better than baseline but never really felt like the treatment was optimal. In 2020 my machine broke and I slept with no CPAP from early 2020 until October 2022 and it honestly wasn't much different based on how I felt in the morning.

I recently just got a new Resmed Airsense 11 and have actual data in OSCAR for the first time in my life and I really want to optimize my treatment. My new doc is great but I would also appreciate any feedback on ideas to improve.

Airsense 11 was originally set to auto titrate between 6-10cm but my doctor said that it was overcompensating and causing some central events so he set it to a fixed pressure of 7.6. To be honest, it actually felt good for a few days but now it feels worse for some reason. I've been waking up feeling very non refreshed.

I've attached 2 oscar screenshots from this week and I believe they both show a large number of central events. My thought is to try putting it back into auto titration mode but with a tighter window, say something like 6-7.8?  

I know it's a lot of work to read these posts so Thank You in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Interpreting OSCAR Data and Next Steps
You are leaking a lot. This may be your problem as the leaking is constantly waking you up, disturbing your sleep. It's also rendering your therapy ineffective. You need to maintain the pressure splint in your upper airway and you can't do this if the leak rate is too high.

You can try a chin strap or soft cervical collar, but the best remedy is a full face mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster,
I'm curious, wouldn't a mask lead cause ineffective treatment against obstructive events more than central events? Or perhaps I'm treating them as too distinct when they are more related to each other. I'll try a chin strap as a first pass to see if it helps with the leak rate, then maybe go to a full mask. Thanks for the input.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2022, 12:36 PM)cpapish Wrote: I'm curious, wouldn't a mask lead cause ineffective treatment against obstructive events more than central events?

I would think so, yes. But keep in mind that when you have a high leak rate your machine is not able to report data like obstructive apneas and central apneas accurately.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak is mostly mouth breathing.  See how your flow rate 'shrinks' during your large leaks? That is showing that your machine is having trouble recognizing events.  Number 1 priority is managing that leak.

On Centrals, can you post a daily charts with EPR.  We need to see the difference that makes.  Also a few 5 minute views showing a CA events centered in the view.  Your CA events are spread out which is different than the CO2 induced CA you usually see if EPR is too high.

Not ignoring your CA events but this level is fairly insignificant.  With a VAuto we have a trigger setting we can use.  But first let's see what is going on if we can.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2023, 10:51 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I would think so, yes. But keep in mind that when you have a high leak rate your machine is not able to report data like obstructive apneas and central apneas accurately.

Thanks Sleepster, that makes sense. I'll try to correct the leak rate before I do any more digging.

(01-01-2023, 12:38 PM)Gideon Wrote: Your leak is mostly mouth breathing.  See how your flow rate 'shrinks' during your large leaks? That is showing that your machine is having trouble recognizing events.  Number 1 priority is managing that leak.

On Centrals, can you post a daily charts with EPR.  We need to see the difference that makes.  Also a few 5 minute views showing a CA events centered in the view.  Your CA events are spread out which is different than the CO2 induced CA you usually see if EPR is too high.

Not ignoring your CA events but this level is fairly insignificant.  With a VAuto we have a trigger setting we can use.  But first let's see what is going on if we can.

Thanks, that makes sense and tracks with with Sleepster was saying. I appreciate you both interpreting the data, I wouldn't have realized this is what's actually going on. I'll try to correct the leak a bit and then post more detailed charts showing CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 55 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 70 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 406 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 148 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.