Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any advice before my appointment?
RE: Any advice before my appointment?
The ramp is off and the only regret I have is that when first putting on the mask it is a little trouble to get the seal not to blow out. I am thinking about turning the ramp back on at maybe a pressure of 8 for just a few minutes to see if the works better.

It is like taking baby steps to get somewhere. I keep looking for ways to keep making CPAP work better for me. All the little changes added up do not equal the improvement that just starting CPAP have made. Why I did not start sooner, mom said "Son if your are going to have a hard head you are going to have a sore ass" then I got the whip. She was much softer on me than life. I could have learned a lot more from her if I only Listened. Oh-jeez

I am listening better now by reading the education that others have written about CPAP on this forum but I still have pain sitting down...DielaughingThanksMom.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 12:18 AM)JPDTrek Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 02:41 PM)jessamnda Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 02:15 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Are you feeling like you are not getting enough air ?

That may be the case. I had to take a deep breath every so often as I felt like I needed it. Maybe I'll turn the ramp off and see what happens.

Just wondering how your adjustment was going...! Did you disable the ramp feature and see if it kept you from feeling air starved?

I did turn it off. But the auto feature still starts me at 4. I think I was just feeling claustrophobic. I'm upping it to 6 tonight and going from there.

I've been doing a little at a time. I did a whole night for the first time 2 nights ago. The machine is showing my AHI at 1.7, down from 107 so that's pretty awesome. When I wake up at night my pressure is at 10-11. This is side sleeping, the 107 number was back sleeping.

I'm having an issue when I use the cpap on my back where when I exhale it's like there's a valve between my nose and throat that just completely closes and stops me from exhaling. I've had this before when I'm sick. So maybe an ENT visit is in order.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I'm having an issue when I use the cpap on my back where when I exhale it's like there's a valve between my nose and throat that just completely closes and stops me from exhaling. I've had this before when I'm sick. So maybe an ENT visit is in order"

If it does this while you are awake, get checked for COPD. Any reason you might have COPD, what you describe is classic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jessamnda. I am replying to this part of your last post "I'm having an issue when I use the cpap on my back where when I exhale it's like there's a valve between my nose and throat that just completely closes and stops me from exhaling. I've had this before when I'm sick. So maybe an ENT visit is in order."

I also have to sleep on my side because my palate seems to flip and shut off exhaling through my nose. I seem to have had this problem for some time. I first noticed that I had to turn a bit sideways when in the dentist chair. I then noticed that I would puff air out my mouth when sleeping on my back. It is a problem because I use a nasal mask. Therefore I just sleep on my side. I am reluctant to try to treat the problem as I am told that palate surgery would be required. I am reluctant to try that because two people that have had it told me it was only partially successful and also very painful. Your ENT may have a different take on this so a visit might be in order.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2016, 06:57 PM)PoolQ Wrote: "I'm having an issue when I use the cpap on my back where when I exhale it's like there's a valve between my nose and throat that just completely closes and stops me from exhaling. I've had this before when I'm sick. So maybe an ENT visit is in order"

If it does this while you are awake, get checked for COPD. Any reason you might have COPD, what you describe is classic.

No, it only happens when I'm sick and blow my nose and now when I'm on my back with cpap(mouth closed). I'll start to blow and air will flow and suddenly stop.
When I'm well, no issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2016, 07:39 PM)richb Wrote: Hi jessamnda. I am replying to this part of your last post "I'm having an issue when I use the cpap on my back where when I exhale it's like there's a valve between my nose and throat that just completely closes and stops me from exhaling. I've had this before when I'm sick. So maybe an ENT visit is in order."

I also have to sleep on my side because my palate seems to flip and shut off exhaling through my nose. I seem to have had this problem for some time. I first noticed that I had to turn a bit sideways when in the dentist chair. I then noticed that I would puff air out my mouth when sleeping on my back. It is a problem because I use a nasal mask. Therefore I just sleep on my side. I am reluctant to try to treat the problem as I am told that palate surgery would be required. I am reluctant to try that because two people that have had it told me it was only partially successful and also very painful. Your ENT may have a different take on this so a visit might be in order.

Rich

Exactly what happens to me. I
wouldn't opt for surgery.

I'm really hoping to increase my energy and be able to work out and she'd some weight. My apnea is significantly affected by my weight. Not sure about my exhale problem though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 177 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,546 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 330 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 467 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 293 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,031 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 195 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.