Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any advice before my appointment?
RE: Any advice before my appointment?
bi-level can cause CA in susceptible apneacs. It also costs a fair bit more. There are good reasons for them to be careful. It was not hard at all for my son to get his, although they did make him fail cpap first. He had his bi-level about 2 to 3 months into therapy even though his AHI was under control with APAP, simply because the pressures were near the top end, and he reported them difficult to tolerate. He did have to go for that second study - personally I think that is a good thing because of the possibility that pressure support can induce CA
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2016, 03:29 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: First, make sure that you get a top-of-the-line machine. You want one that gives you ALL the data, not just some of it. These machines also allow you to have less pressure for breathing out - up to 3 cm less which very much improves the comfort.

My recommendation for machine is an S9 Auto, an Airsense Auto, a Respironics Auto (either the 560 series or the new DreamStation). I would insist on an auto machine even if you are not going to be using auto to start off with. The auto machines give the most data to perfect your therapy and they do have the option of cpap (straight pressure) or auto (multiple pressures). Since you will have this machine at least 5 years, you want what is going to be the most flexible, especially since therapy didn't work for you before.

I also recommend asking for a heated hose - the power supplies are different. If you later wanted a heated hose, you would have to pay out of pocket for that power supply.

Lots of info to read, but when you are dead tired, it's hard to go through it all.

Ok, so I finally picked up my cpap today. I got the AirSense 10 with a heated hose. Decided to go with a nasal mask as the pillows didn't work so well last time. I'll give it a go tonight and report back. Hope it doesn't suck.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it sucks you got the wrong machine, cpap blows.DielaughingSleep-well

I still do not like it but use it always. It is by far the lesser of two bad things.Okay

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2016, 07:10 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: If it sucks you got the wrong machine, cpap blows.DielaughingSleep-well

I still do not like it but use it always. It is by far the lesser of two bad things.Okay

Hehe, I knew that pun was coming after I typed that.

So I just tried it on real quick in the living room and I can tell the pressure relief function is going to help tremendously, I'm optimistic.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You for the chance to Dielaughing

Best wishes for better sleep and a better life. I can report that cpap has helped me get better. I wish I had started it sooner and not been so Hard Headed.

I find that now it is a game to see how much improvement I can make. The learning about how this stuff works and why is empowering. I feel like I may have a little control back in my life.

I never felt so dumb Oh-jeez as when I started to read this forum. I just thought breathing was easy and took it for granted. Not something to give much thought too.

Lots of good information and people helping people here. ThanksSleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night didn't go so well. I lasted 19 minutes. I believe I'm feeling a bit claustrophobic. I didn't realize I could feel claustrophobic from a small mask on my face but it looks like that's what may be going down.

So I'll be chilling watching some TV and hanging out with my mask pumping tonight to try to adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you feeling like you are not getting enough air ? When I started the cpap machine was set so low that I took it off. I figured out that the RAMP setting was so low as to starve me for air. I would turn it on for an hour before bed. I do not use a ramp anymore and start my pressure at 12.

It was an easy fix but it still bothers me when I first put my mask on. My new machine has an auto start that I use. I put the mask on and take a breath to start it. But I still leave the straps loose untill I think the machine is not going to fail.

I will get over this one day. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2016, 02:15 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Are you feeling like you are not getting enough air ?

That may be the case. I had to take a deep breath every so often as I felt like I needed it. Maybe I'll turn the ramp off and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2016, 07:29 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Give her a big hug. My wife would have told me I was fine and raised my life insurance pay out. Dielaughing

L O L ! +1
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2016, 02:41 PM)jessamnda Wrote:
(07-22-2016, 02:15 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Are you feeling like you are not getting enough air ?

That may be the case. I had to take a deep breath every so often as I felt like I needed it. Maybe I'll turn the ramp off and see what happens.

Just wondering how your adjustment was going...! Did you disable the ramp feature and see if it kept you from feeling air starved?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 298 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 176 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,803 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.