Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any advice?
RE: Any advice?
The Simplus is generally one of the new generation "comfortable" style masks, but the soft seal can take a while to get adjusted "just right." It may also require a bit more strap tension at those higher pressures to help control the leaks. Also, if you are new to CPAP therapy, getting used to the higher pressures can take a while and some folks work their way up to them.

As others have said, you're making progress....it may take a bit of time before things feel "normal" all the time, but in the long run, it'll be worth it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So here are my results from last night. It seems I did OK but still feel groggy. Do my events seem high? Think I am going to try a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those results look pretty good. I don't think a different mask will necessarily improve the results. But you may find one you are more comfortable with. I have a full mask, a nasal mask, and a pillows. I've been known to use all of them depending on whether or not I have something amiss in the respiratory system, or maybe just want something less "intimidating" than a full mask sometimes. My favorite is the full mask because I don't have to wear the stupid chin strap when I use it. So there you have it: my most favorite thing is the stupid chin strap. That, and the vent thing on my pillows mask that seems to feel I am in its way no matter where I put my covers or arms or feet...........
Post Reply Post Reply
The AHI is less than 5, and so technically this night is quite acceptable from the point of view of the medical people who treat us for OSA. In time, however, you may see that AHI drop further as you get more used to sleeping with the machine.

As for why you are groggy: Looks like you were in bed for about 6 1/2 hours between 11:30 and 6:00 and you also had the machine on and blowing for about 10:30 and 11:00. When do you usually get to bed? Around 10:30? And last night, were you unable to get to seep at the beginning of the night and then did you get out of bed long enough to get sleepy enough to face going back to bed with the mask on? If all that's pretty close to what happened, you may just be groggy because you're not used to only getting 6 1/2 hours of sleep.

Then again, it could also be that you were restless last night due to the newness of trying to sleep with a mask on your face. And it could be that you are just feeling groggy because you didn't sleep all that well because your unconscious brain still doesn't quite know what to make of the PAP machine and the mask. It can take a month or so of sleeping with the mask every night before the unconscious mind really learns to trust the PAP and mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur that it takes a while to get a good night's sleep when you're new to CPAP therapy. It's kind of like sleeping away from home. There's a saying that it takes three nights to get a good night's sleep in a new bed. I think it takes more than that for a CPAP machine.

Of course, everyone is different. Some people can sleep anywhere anytime, I've never been one of those people. Sometimes it takes me a while to fall asleep, and I wake up several times in the night. I just remind myself that everything is all right, and that if I'm patient I'll eventually fall asleep. I have sedatives but try not to take them unless I have to.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.