Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

blood blisters mouth
blood blisters mouth
Hi everybody,

I often wake up with bloody blisters on my lower lip on the inside, sometimes on the inside of my cheek. This happens a few times a week. It don't hurt or anything i just notice how often i have them and i have no idea why this is. I do wake up everyday with a sensitive feeling in my mouth, it's not the blisters itself that hurt. I of course sleep with a cpap, for many years now. Anyone know's why or has the same thing? I have photos but it don't look pretty so i rather keep it to myself for now unless it's really needed to share it here but my whole lower lip area looks busted, red and sore.

Also, sometimes i fall asleep on the couch, without my cpap and i always wake up coughing. When i take a deep breath after waking up i burst out coughing because there's a bad 'tingle' in my lungs, that's the best way to explain it. It's only for a minute or two but i again don't know why this is.
This happens every time, whenever i take a nap. 

Tried to google both but with no luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: blood blisters mouth
Hello Jenn84,
It just sounds like your mouth breathing and causing a dry mouth condition.
You may also be biting down on your lips while asleep. Do you suffer from bruxism?
You may need a mouth guard. Again, check in with your doctor. Maybe He/She can prescribe some type of ointment to promote healing.

No pictures are necessary.

As far as you falling asleep on your couch without Cpap.... what you are experiencing is pretty common when apneas happen. Make it a priority to use your Cpap at all times.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: blood blisters mouth
(12-21-2022, 01:52 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hello Jenn84,
It just sounds like your mouth breathing and causing a dry mouth condition.  
You may also be biting down on your lips while asleep.  Do you suffer from bruxism?  
You may need a mouth guard.  Again, check in with your doctor.  Maybe He/She can prescribe some type of ointment to promote healing.  

No pictures are necessary.  

As far as you falling asleep on your couch without Cpap.... what you are experiencing is pretty common when apneas happen.  Make it a priority to use your Cpap at all times.

Thanks for the reply OpalRose,

My neurologist told me i do suffer from bruxism, this was noticed during several sleep studies but those blisters are more recent, last PSG was a few years ago. And i also tend to breathe through my mouth, i often wake up with a dry mouth. Had (nose) surgery in 2015 to make it easier to breathe through my nose but sadly it no longer really seems to have an effect. I have chronic sinusitis, had prescribed so many nasal sprays over the years, i can fill a whole pool with it so this explains the difficulty in breathing through my nose. So more than likely it's a combination of both. 

I know it's not very smart, falling asleep without my CPAP but i sometimes doze off in seconds so there's really not much that i can do other than not falling asleep in the first place.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 6 34 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.