Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any differences between CPAP machines?
Question 
Any differences between CPAP machines?
Hello.

40y/o male. Recently diagnosed with ahi of 88. Had an overnight sleep study at sleep clinic. No titration was performed.

Sleep doc who analyses the patient data is 1200kms away. We have a video call - prescribes me fixed pressure cpap at 12cm. He also puts "urgent setup" on the script, and "ahi / data capable"

Since it specifically says cpap on the prescription, that's all I can get. 

For those that don't know, in Ontario Canada - there is a program where the government caps the selling prices of the devices and then pays 75% of the cost. Private insurance usuially takes care of the rest. The list of approved cpaps is small.

Adp and my private insurance won't cover an online purchase.

Retailers are telling me up to 16 weeks locally.

Sorry for the long rant, but my question is this :

In the case of a fixed pressure cpap, is there any advantage on getting one of the more modern units vs an older unit?

( recall aside) Would there be any theraputic benefit to getting a airsense 11 elite over something like a referb dreamstation 1?

If there really is minimal to no difference, I could get an older unit out of pocket and start now - plus skip the insurance Rollercoaster of compliance.

Thoughts? If there is value to getting a newer model, I can afford it to buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any differences between CPAP machines?
There are definitely differences in machines.
Even the Redmed Airsense Elite is different than the Airsense Autoset.

Read through this thread, then ask questions if you have some

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

The benefit to buying your own machine and then accepting one from the DME when available is that you would then have a backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME is in Toronto (of course), but they ship out of province, so NW Ontario should be no problem. They are ADP registered. I don't know their stock levels, but they are likely to be better than your local DME.

Another possibility for lightly used and refurbished machines is SecondWind Supplier #2. They ship internationally, and may be flexible about supplying an APAP instead of a CPAP machine. Many members here have been happy with their service.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe ADP allows the Airsense 10-11 Autoset as a CPAP, and that would be the best you can get. Someone that knows more about the Ontario ADP can correct me if I'm wrong.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not real sure, but I believe in Canada they list the Airsense 10 AutoSet For Her as a CPAP, not an APAP. You might want to check on that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In Ontario, according to the April 1, 2022 edition of the respiratory devices manual, the AS10 and 11 AutoSet are considered APAP, and the AS10 Autoset for, Elite and CPAP, and the AS11 Elite and CPAP are considered CPAP.

The 'Approved Price' for all of them is the same: $554 CAD. Maybe that's why they are hard to find here?

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog...manual.pdf
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
1 I live in Ottawa,Ont and one local store just received an airsense 11 and called me up. They filled out the government  ADP paperwork as required and charged me the difference. The issue is finding a store (You cannot get ADP through an internet based provider that I could find and I tried 7 or 8). This is listed as a CPAP machine for ADP purposes but is an APAP machine.
2 Good luck finding a place internet or ADP authorized provider who can supply you in less than a couple of months. I just got lucky.
3 As long as you don,t care if your results cannot be downloaded by the doctor or your provider , the resmed Airsense 10 without modems (this seems to be the part in short supply)  seems to be plentiful and you sound like you need one quickly. This is also an APAP which is eligible for ADP as a CPAP machine.

Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
OP - Would it make sense to buy it online, ship to a friend in USA, then go to your friend's house and get it? Supplier #1 (see supplier list at the top of this page) has a good deal on A0irSense 10 Autoset. It would appear this would skip all the bureaucracy and not have somebody beating you up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 147 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 907 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 529 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 624 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 84,901 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,148 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 810 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.