Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any former mouth brethers who became nose only because of CPAP?
Any former mouth brethers who became nose only because of CPAP?
So before CPAP I was mostly a mouth only breather.  This was primarily due to the fact that my region is VERY dry and it was easier to deal with a glass of water or mouth wash if I happen to wake up during the night rather than breathe via nose... perhaps this was subconsciously how I deferred to sleeping. 

Since being on the CPAP for about 8 months I am now solely a nose breather.  The folks who set me up deferred directly to a P10 probably because I keep facial hair (a beard is almost necessary for my winter activities and associated temperatures that can dip into single negative digits... the beard makes the cold brutal winds much easier to take.)

Since the first time use, I took to the P10 pillows immediately like a cow to cud...  the humidly feature and later user added heated tube makes the sleeping experience practically hassle free and effortless.

I am still learning all about this CPAP stuff and have never experienced a full mask... I am no expert and am still a novice, but the pillows are working well for me and the humidity overnight experience has given me somewhat "normal" sinus and nasal passages worth breathing through without extreme dryness of which i have experience for a few decades.  My Neilmed and saline solution use in past years (although still used) has decreased dramatically!

Anyone else switch modes of breathing passages since starting CPAP therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any former mouth brethers who became nose only because of CPAP?
Well, I switched only because the polyps in my nasal and sinus passages had to be removed before I could successfully utilize a CPAP machine.  Their removal also allowed me to start breathing from my nose - something that I had not realized that I stopped doing.  So now, when I start breathing through my mouth I know it's time to go see my friendly ENT doc for another "scraping".  Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP and the P10s converted me also to being a nose breather during the day and I am thankful for it! I suspect it will make us less susceptible to catching colds, which coupled with the more restful sleep is definitely going to help our immune system.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure if it was mouth breathing or getting up to pee so often at night, but I have gone from 1-2 glasses of water beside by bed to a few sips.

And negative single digits is warm weather!  Cold starts at -40.   Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I became a nose breather with zero leaks on the day I switched to p10 from f10. And my pressure also dropped.

That is why 'resistance is futile' :-)
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Ash

Yes, resistence is futile.  I ordered the P10 at Amazon for $49.  Double checked dtails - headgear, mask and pillows , blue strap for him.
Post Reply Post Reply
Started out with the P10 and could not get leaks under control.  Then purchased a chin strap and things started getting better. Eventually I stopped major leaks. Now leaks are of little concern. Starting 2days ago I weened myself off the chin strap. So far so good. 

I feel it is possible to retrain yourself.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 12:21 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Started out with the P10 and could not get leaks under control.  Then purchased a chin strap and things started getting better. Eventually I stopped major leaks. Now leaks are of little concern. Starting 2days ago I weened myself off the chin strap. So far so good. 

I feel it is possible to retrain yourself.

About time this old dog got housebroke! (satirical reference to avatar)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always been a mouth breather.

I tried multiple masks but the nasal pillows ended up just blowing air out of my mouth lol! I have tried two different types of headgear as well. 

The full face mask seems to help keep my mouth shut though!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that my use of the nasal mask actually seals my mouth shut. I am wondering if this will change when i start using the auto set function.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 55 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.